Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
S560
GLS 450 and Range Rover comparison

Hi everyone,

Watch this amazing review.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:27 AM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 GLS 450 SUV / 2020 BMW X5 X40I
I built a similar spec’d out 450 and RR and the GLS is right at 100k. The same RR is 127K. Yes for off road unless you go 580 and get the off road package it doesn’t compare if that is what you need. But a fully spec’d 580 with off-road is 120k. Still cheaper and now you get a V8 and can match the off road chops and a better car. GLS all the way. Plus your RR will be in the shop all the time. Beautiful cars but POS.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
X167 GLS450 W113 280SL W463.227 300GE
Originally Posted by SoCalBenzGuy
I built a similar spec’d out 450 and RR and the GLS is right at 100k. The same RR is 127K. Yes for off road unless you go 580 and get the off road package it doesn’t compare if that is what you need. But a fully spec’d 580 with off-road is 120k. Still cheaper and now you get a V8 and can match the off road chops and a better car. GLS all the way. Plus your RR will be in the shop all the time. Beautiful cars but POS.
Respectfully, I think the tired trope that RR are dismissively unreliable is a bit lazy. In recent years we have had 4 new MBs alongside owning our completely trouble free RR. The MBs have each had some issues - nothing major, they are great cars so we buy the brand again and again, but niggles or issues nonetheless. My last X166 had a seat issue that MB just gave up on trying to fix. Sure St Lucas was once the patron saint of darkness, but thats a long time ago. All cars are pretty darn reliable now, and both MB and RR have below average reliability, as they are complicated cars - I note MB has had a significant fall from grace in the reliability rankings in the past 10 years. Not saying that RR is a Kia or a Toyota, but it is not debilitatingly unreliable and to say "RR [are a] POS" does seems a flip opinion. (Least reliable car I've had in last 10 years: BMW X5 - by far).
Old 08-18-2022, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
The real question is, which one will break down first?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-18-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 650 Likes on 405 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
I think the new RR is friggin' gorgeous! BUT, I'd much rather live with the Benz in what is my real world life.

I will note in the video however, that unless if MB figured out how to get these cars to slow down to a smooth stop, then he's full of BS in that regard. This GLS is the absolute worst vehicle I've ever owned when it comes to coming to a gentle/smooth/easy stop. It clunks and lurches once it dials down to 2nd gear. Wish they could just program the transmission to get into neutral after 3rd gear and let the brakes do the rest on their own. Setting it in Eco mode helps quite a bit, but even still, it's just not good. It's my one and only complaint about the car, and I've had 3 VW DSG's over the last 12 years in my garage (notorious for being hoppy/skippy on a slow stop).
Old 08-22-2022, 01:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2021 GLS 63 2014 GL550
Originally Posted by clunker
Respectfully, I think the tired trope that RR are dismissively unreliable is a bit lazy. In recent years we have had 4 new MBs alongside owning our completely trouble free RR. The MBs have each had some issues - nothing major, they are great cars so we buy the brand again and again, but niggles or issues nonetheless. My last X166 had a seat issue that MB just gave up on trying to fix. Sure St Lucas was once the patron saint of darkness, but thats a long time ago. All cars are pretty darn reliable now, and both MB and RR have below average reliability, as they are complicated cars - I note MB has had a significant fall from grace in the reliability rankings in the past 10 years. Not saying that RR is a Kia or a Toyota, but it is not debilitatingly unreliable and to say "RR [are a] POS" does seems a flip opinion. (Least reliable car I've had in last 10 years: BMW X5 - by far).
I will pile on here...Our '21 GLS63 was by far the worse vehicle we have ever owned. In 18 months and 5,000 miles of ownership it has spent 4 months at the dealer and left us stranded 4 times. The dealer and Mercedes finally gave up and bought the vehicle back. Our neighbors with Escalades and Range Rovers seem to have better luck....While we will be buying another GLS63, mainly because my wife is a Mercedes fan, I will always be nervous driving it outside of an Uber ride range from home!
Old 08-22-2022, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by rob.anderson
I will pile on here...Our '21 GLS63 was by far the worse vehicle we have ever owned. In 18 months and 5,000 miles of ownership it has spent 4 months at the dealer and left us stranded 4 times. The dealer and Mercedes finally gave up and bought the vehicle back. Our neighbors with Escalades and Range Rovers seem to have better luck....While we will be buying another GLS63, mainly because my wife is a Mercedes fan, I will always be nervous driving it outside of an Uber ride range from home!