GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Network Connection?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 11:32 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
GLS 450 (2022)
Network Connection?

Hi folks - I'm curious - does anyone know how a modern Mercedes connects to the data network? For example, I presume you can use the Mercedes Me button or the SOS function without having a mobile phone in the car. Also, the Mercedes Me all requires some sort of data connection for the syncing and remote lock, etc..

Is there a cell phone built into the car for these purposes, or does it connect to satellites? I can't figure it out and I'd sure appreciate at least a general explanation. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,623 Posts
2019 C63CS
Depends on the market. In some markets it can use your mobile phone and tether to it, but in the US and many other markets the car has its own mobile broadband router with its own eSIM. It's called the HERMES module. It's a bit more than just a router. It's a communications gateway that handles all communication with the outside world, including the emergency call feature. MBUX and COMAND connect to it via Wi-Fi, so it's basically a Wi-Fi router in the car. If you pay for the hotspot feature then you can also connect your personal devices to it such as laptops and tablets to access the Internet while on the road.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-16-2022 at 01:11 PM.