GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

AMG GLS 63 wost nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLS 450
My GLS has been at the dealer for almost 10 weeks. MB refused repurchase even though my dealer was wonderful and was an advocate. I emailed the GM at my dealer this morning to tell them to go ahead and order me a new one and we'd just have to let MB screw us over. (Iowa's lemon law isn't great.) After I emailed the GM I opened the mail. In it was a recall letter for a software update on 2021 vehicles with the 48V system. The first bullet point of a "circumstance that a consumer could experience" was exactly the reason my car has been sitting at the dealer for 10 freaking weeks. I called the GM and the Service Manager and they said that they'd have it updated and back to me this afternoon. There are many issues with this series of events, but number one is this: Why in the hell didn't MB's (worthless) service rep "Mary" mention that a campaign letter was coming out?

I hope for those who have experience this stalling issue and posting about it on this site (yours truly included) that this remedy that puts us all (safely) back on the road.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:27 PM

Gls 63 amg
Originally Posted by JTAppraiser
My GLS has been at the dealer for almost 10 weeks. MB refused repurchase even though my dealer was wonderful and was an advocate. I emailed the GM at my dealer this morning to tell them to go ahead and order me a new one and we'd just have to let MB screw us over. (Iowa's lemon law isn't great.) After I emailed the GM I opened the mail. In it was a recall letter for a software update on 2021 vehicles with the 48V system. The first bullet point of a "circumstance that a consumer could experience" was exactly the reason my car has been sitting at the dealer for 10 freaking weeks. I called the GM and the Service Manager and they said that they'd have it updated and back to me this afternoon. There are many issues with this series of events, but number one is this: Why in the hell didn't MB's (worthless) service rep "Mary" mention that a campaign letter was coming out?

I hope for those who have experience this stalling issue and posting about it on this site (yours truly included) that this remedy that puts us all (safely) back on the road.

I received the letter too one day after i just went and trade it in I didn’t want it to deal with it anymore not ! Lost alot of money but i was just tire of the problem with the car and for Mercedes benz come in after waiting 6 weeks for them to come and say they were not going to buyback
Old 03-20-2023, 02:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2021 GLS 63 2014 GL550
I question if this issue is isolated to the GLS63's. It is the same drivetrain in their E63S, GLE63, G63 and S63 vehicles. I have not heard other models having the issues the GLS model have. Does anyone know?
Old 03-20-2023, 02:43 PM

GLS 450
Originally Posted by rob.anderson
I question if this issue is isolated to the GLS63's. It is the same drivetrain in their E63S, GLE63, G63 and S63 vehicles. I have not heard other models having the issues the GLS model have. Does anyone know?
It is the 2021 vehicles with the 48V system (i.e.: the E63's ,GLE63's, GLS63"s, CLS63's, etc..). The G63's do not have and the S63's did not have the 48V system. I'm still not happy with MB's behavior toward me or my dealer. They told me that there was nothing wrong with my vehicle even in their latest call on 03/15, but yet they sent out a recall letter dated February. My dealer says that MB corporate is a mess and that there are too many people slacking...I mean working from home and communication is horrid. I really like my GLS and think I'll drive it to the end of the factory warranty and look at my options. I think (hope) this push to go electric bites them hard. Where I live we could not function with an electric car right now.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLS63 AMG 2022 SL63 AMG
Update:
My GLS63 that had to be towed in remains in the shop (MB of Plano) - almost 5 weeks later. An engine control module was ordered and replaced, and apparently did not solve the problem. An engine wiring harness was recommended by MB engineers. It is on backorder and I have zero confidence that is the real culprit as the engineers have been heavily involved with the service techs in trying to figure this out. I'm working with MBUSA and my local dealer on a buyout. I'm told it takes 6 to 8 weeks and I'm in week 2 of this buyout situation with no resolution yet. The dealership's service director is handling this for me, and he thinks it can be expedited as he used to work for MB and has inside contacts. He also informed me it works out far better from the customer's perspective if you accept a new MB vehicle, so I've agreed to go that direction if we can work out an acceptable deal. They have a 2023 GLE63 AMG on the floor that we are using as the new VIN in the deal. Hopefully it works out, but either way I'm done with this GLS. I really liked that vehicle so I'm disappointed to say the least. The GLE63 is the same drivetrain as in my GLS63 but it's 2 years later in the production cycle so if I end up with it hopefully some of the bugs have been worked out.

For what it's worth, I had a very similar issue in a 2015 BMW Gran Coupe - multiple "drivetrain malfunction" errors that made the vehicle limp into the service bay at under 24,000 miles. It was a computer/software issue they couldn't quite figure out. After the third time, I told them the vehicle was theirs and they needed to work out an acceptable deal to keep me in a BMW. The local dealership worked with BMW USA and they gave me the highest possible trade in value on the Gran Coupe, BMW USA gave me an additional $30,000 "trade in allowance", and the dealership (Classic BMW in Plano, TX) sold me a new M5 at dealer cost, which were going over sticker at the time. It worked out well for me and I'm hoping MB does something similar.

One last tidbit. I also purchased a 2022 SL63 AMG from MB Plano late last year and that helps with their working with me on this deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by TJ Dallas:
LeadfootCJ7 (03-21-2023), rob.anderson (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 07:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,603 Likes on 2,213 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by TJ Dallas
Update:
My GLS63 that had to be towed in remains in the shop (MB of Plano) - almost 5 weeks later. An engine control module was ordered and replaced, and apparently did not solve the problem. An engine wiring harness was recommended by MB engineers. It is on backorder and I have zero confidence that is the real culprit as the engineers have been heavily involved with the service techs in trying to figure this out. I'm working with MBUSA and my local dealer on a buyout. I'm told it takes 6 to 8 weeks and I'm in week 2 of this buyout situation with no resolution yet. The dealership's service director is handling this for me, and he thinks it can be expedited as he used to work for MB and has inside contacts. He also informed me it works out far better from the customer's perspective if you accept a new MB vehicle, so I've agreed to go that direction if we can work out an acceptable deal. They have a 2023 GLE63 AMG on the floor that we are using as the new VIN in the deal. Hopefully it works out, but either way I'm done with this GLS. I really liked that vehicle so I'm disappointed to say the least. The GLE63 is the same drivetrain as in my GLS63 but it's 2 years later in the production cycle so if I end up with it hopefully some of the bugs have been worked out.

For what it's worth, I had a very similar issue in a 2015 BMW Gran Coupe - multiple "drivetrain malfunction" errors that made the vehicle limp into the service bay at under 24,000 miles. It was a computer/software issue they couldn't quite figure out. After the third time, I told them the vehicle was theirs and they needed to work out an acceptable deal to keep me in a BMW. The local dealership worked with BMW USA and they gave me the highest possible trade in value on the Gran Coupe, BMW USA gave me an additional $30,000 "trade in allowance", and the dealership (Classic BMW in Plano, TX) sold me a new M5 at dealer cost, which were going over sticker at the time. It worked out well for me and I'm hoping MB does something similar.

One last tidbit. I also purchased a 2022 SL63 AMG from MB Plano late last year and that helps with their working with me on this deal.
Thanks for sharing your experience and sorry to hear about your frustration, I am glad BMW treated you well and I too hope MB does the same, please keep us psoted.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2021 GLS 63 2014 GL550
Round 2 begins today with this 2023 GLS63
The following 3 users liked this post by rob.anderson:
dblankenbaker (03-31-2023), ksalno (03-30-2023), z28lt1 (03-30-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:13 AM

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLS63 AMG 2022 SL63 AMG
Update:

Final (almost) update on my GLS63 that was towed in to MB Plano on 2/17/23. After replacing the engine control module, the vehicle still had the same symptoms. The engineers suggested it needs an engine wiring harness. Guess where they make those? 3 factories in the Ukraine, two of which have been bombed out. The part is on backorder 8 weeks later with no end in sight. MB USA did not really participate much in resolving this situation for me, although there is still a service ticket in my name on the GLS. The service director is continuing to push for more, but I don't have much hope. If they provide anything else, I'll post an update.

The dealer gave me $100K trade-in as their final offer. Too low in my opinion, but they had all the leverage in this situation. I couldn't trade in a non operating vehicle anywhere else, nor could I take it anywhere to get a buy offer. MB Plano sold me a new GLE53AMG $4K below sticker. MB threw in 3 years maintenance and a $5,000 rebate. Again, too low given my non-operating vehicle with no end in sight, but not much more I could do about it after elevating it as far as I could at MB USA. I like my new GLE53, but would have preferred a GLE63 with the same V8 drivetrain as my GLS63. I was told I would be waiting until July or August and I needed a vehicle now.

The situation is resolved with a new vehicle, but it certainly did not give me any incentive to do any further business with MB. I still have my new SL63 convertible, and I hope there are no issues with either it or the new GLE53.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Final (almost) update on my GLS63 that was towed in to MB Plano on 2/17/23. After replacing the engine control module, the vehicle still had the same symptoms. The engineers suggested it needs an engine wiring harness. Guess where they make those? 3 factories in the Ukraine, two of which have been bombed out. The part is on backorder 8 weeks later with no end in sight. MB USA did not really participate much in resolving this situation for me, although there is still a service ticket in my name on the GLS. The service director is continuing to push for more, but I don't have much hope. If they provide anything else, I'll post an update.

The dealer gave me $100K trade-in as their final offer. Too low in my opinion, but they had all the leverage in this situation. I couldn't trade in a non operating vehicle anywhere else, nor could I take it anywhere to get a buy offer. MB Plano sold me a new GLE53AMG $4K below sticker. MB threw in 3 years maintenance and a $5,000 rebate. Again, too low given my non-operating vehicle with no end in sight, but not much more I could do about it after elevating it as far as I could at MB USA. I like my new GLE53, but would have preferred a GLE63 with the same V8 drivetrain as my GLS63. I was told I would be waiting until July or August and I needed a vehicle now.

The situation is resolved with a new vehicle, but it certainly did not give me any incentive to do any further business with MB. I still have my new SL63 convertible, and I hope there are no issues with either it or the new GLE53.
Sorry to hear about this : (
The following users liked this post:
zorax373 (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 01:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,955 Likes on 3,110 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC

Sorry to hear, and good that you have some measure of resolution. MB customer care and product reliability at its finest. The best of nothing.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:01 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan, 2018 GLS 63
My wife has a 2022 GLE 63. So far 1 isssue we had. The computer for the fuel pump had to replaced. Other then that everything is great. Not sure if these problems are mainly on the 2021s and the gls 63
Old 04-12-2023, 08:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Delta5275
My wife has a 2022 GLE 63. So far 1 isssue we had. The computer for the fuel pump had to replaced. Other then that everything is great. Not sure if these problems are mainly on the 2021s and the gls 63
I see probably just a minor defect in the factory then.