GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Looking to purchase used GLS from Q7

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi Q7
Looking to purchase used GLS from Q7

Hello all, currently have a 2018 audi q7 prestige 3.0. Been looking to get out of the vehicle before major engine issues as this engine is known to burn oil. Highly considering the gls450 and found a 2020 with many options at a local dealer. But after reading up on the battery issues am highly concerned. What are your thoughts on this deal? I know based from the carfax there was a minor accideent reported which im still trying to find more info out on, but assuming it wasnt anything major this one seems to check all the boxes. Thanks for your help and input.

https://www.landroverglencove.com/us...4a8fd97e6a.htm
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...rOFkVFfmm7wuBw
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MSRP.pdf (94.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 08-06-2023, 08:27 AM

Received 187 Likes on 150 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by aimbriano
Hello all, currently have a 2018 audi q7 prestige 3.0. Been looking to get out of the vehicle before major engine issues as this engine is known to burn oil. Highly considering the gls450 and found a 2020 with many options at a local dealer. But after reading up on the battery issues am highly concerned. What are your thoughts on this deal? I know based from the carfax there was a minor accideent reported which im still trying to find more info out on, but assuming it wasnt anything major this one seems to check all the boxes. Thanks for your help and input.

https://www.landroverglencove.com/us...4a8fd97e6a.htm
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...rOFkVFfmm7wuBw
Assuming you're ok w/the prior accident (you never know how it was fixed), I think the price is too high. At lease end, the car is worth about 57% of original MSRP. At the original MSRP of $85,555, lease buyout would have been $48,767. The leaser may have opted not to buy for any number of reasons but diminished value from the accident is a solid one. In my mind, the diminshed value should offset any higher equity that would have been received in today's odd post-Pandemic used car market.

If you decide to go ahead w/the purchase, I would also tell the dealer that customers have already started taking delivery of '24 models, which should translate to a further hit to car value and hopefully reduced sale price (I wouldn't pay more than $50k for this car).
Old 08-06-2023, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 648 Likes on 403 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
If the accident was nothing more than a dent, then it’s probably fine. But if the accident involved that rear wheel, then ai would not touch it. If the wheel was involved, then probably so was the air suspension and potentially the rear drove axle which feeds into the rear differential and so on. That would make a “minor” accident in to a possible functional accident. A tell tale sign is in the carfax itself at 30k miles. 3 tires replaced. Why not all 4?

in my opinion only, at this point of the car’s age, if the battery hasn't fried out already, then I would say the odds are pretty low this car has that issue.

question for the group- what does the half model year production code mean in the options list?
Old 08-06-2023, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi Q7
Thank you both for your responses. Im going to dig in and see what exactly happened. I was hoping the potential of a minor accident could be a scrape, etc. But who knows. At this point, given the reasonable cost per the lease return, i cant see the dealership budging too much on the price. Maybe best to wait a little longer and see if a cpo comes along that fits my needs and get the extra warranty given the fact these batteries could have issues.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by aimbriano
But after reading up on the battery issues am highly concerned.
You are rightly concerned. The MB 48V system was and is a flop. Steer clear. 2020 in particular was a painful year for MB, launching a new vehicle during a global panic. Normally poor MB quality and reliability was additionally challenged by the global "events".

Do not buy any MB with a 48V system. 2020 and 2021 models years most especially should be avoided.

2019 GLS450 or GLE400 are among the best preowned MB SUVs available on the market. Otherwise look at a BMW X5 xDrive40i or 2019 or 2020 Cayenne base or S with air suspension. All far better reliability than the failed MB 48V system in the 2020 - current GLE/GLS.