GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Additional Keys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 GLS 580
Additional Keys

I just got my 2024 GLS 580, and it’s a fantastic family hauler. Definitely the most luxurious car I’ve ever had.

One drawback however is that the sales associate told me a maximum of two keys can ever be programmed to the car? Does anyone know if that’s really the case? I live in NYC and use a valet service, so I’d love to leave a key with them like I did with our previous car, a Porsche Macan. But I’d be nervous to do that if that leaves us with only one other key.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:43 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
Originally Posted by grahamrs
I just got my 2024 GLS 580... One drawback however is that the sales associate told me a maximum of two keys can ever be programmed to the car? Does anyone know if that’s really the case? I live in NYC and use a valet service, so I’d love to leave a key with them like I did with our previous car, a Porsche Macan. But I’d be nervous to do that if that leaves us with only one other key.
I've personally owned Mercedes with three SmartKeys programmed to the vehicle, so I don't believe your sales associate is correct.

I recommend that you consult the Parts Manager and Service Manager, since their departments work together on keys. Parts will place your key order with Germany (after an appropriately strict ID check and vehicle ownership validation). Once the key arrives, Service will complete the programming with your vehicle.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2023, 08:10 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
One more piece of anecdotal evidence...

I remember years ago, we had neighbors going through an acrimonious divorce. The husband drove a fairly new ML63, which he absolutely loved. At one point early in the war, the wife went to the dealership and requested an additional key (3rd key). Since she was listed on the vehicle registration, and her ID matched, Mercedes happily ordered a key for her. When it arrived, she secreted the ML63 to the dealership for the key programming, while her husband was out of town, and returned it to the garage without him knowing. Then she waited. You can see where this is going by now...

At one point a few months later, she waited until her husband took the ML63 on an overnight "business trip" about a two hours away (which she correctly suspected involved another woman). Then she had a friend drive her, in the middle of the night, to pick up the ML63. The next morning, the husband thought it had been stolen and called the police! He was so mad...

There were many more stories with their divorce, but suffice it to say... Their ML63 had 3 keys
The following users liked this post:
EWL5 (12-11-2023)