GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Weird Speed Limit Assist Behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 05:51 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
GLS 450 (2022)
Weird Speed Limit Assist Behavior

Hey folks, here's a question that I'm wondering if someone can answer. I use the speed limit assist all the time, and I find it to be almost flawless. It is so convenient to have the car automatically adjust itself to the current speed limit. Now, here is a little situation that I found interesting that perhaps someone can shed light upon. Occasionally at the same exact point, I drive past a particular speed limit sign, and the car correctly accelerates from the previous 40 mph limit to the new 50 mph limit. The car speeds up just fine as you would expect. However, the little white speed limit sign in the dash (and in the MBUX screen) remains fixed at 40 mph. It is almost as if the data controlling the car and the data shown in the dashboard come from two separate sources. I'm wondering how this can be. This is such an inconsistency and I find it very puzzling. If anyone can shed some light on this behavior, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:43 PM

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts
2012 E Cabrio, 2015 GL x 2 & 2024 GLS
Originally Posted by Scott Schmidt
Hey folks, here's a question that I'm wondering if someone can answer. I use the speed limit assist all the time, and I find it to be almost flawless. It is so convenient to have the car automatically adjust itself to the current speed limit. Now, here is a little situation that I found interesting that perhaps someone can shed light upon. Occasionally at the same exact point, I drive past a particular speed limit sign, and the car correctly accelerates from the previous 40 mph limit to the new 50 mph limit. The car speeds up just fine as you would expect. However, the little white speed limit sign in the dash (and in the MBUX screen) remains fixed at 40 mph. It is almost as if the data controlling the car and the data shown in the dashboard come from two separate sources. I'm wondering how this can be. This is such an inconsistency and I find it very puzzling. If anyone can shed some light on this behavior, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks.
I haven't observed that specifically, but there is definitely a lag between the cruise control changing speed and the sign updating, at least a second, sometimes more than 10. No idea how that's possible, I have to assume that both are controlled off the same map...
Old 02-09-2024, 05:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'24 GLS 450
I had a different but similar type of issue occur on our drive down to Florida last November. Cruising at 70 mph, and while passing an off-ramp, the MBUX picks up the yellow offramp speed, say 40 mph, and then slows down abruptly in an unsafe manner. On one occasion a transport truck had to swerve around our GLS. So now I'm cautious passing off-ramps that have have yellow speed limit signs close to the highway.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:06 AM

Received 200 Likes on 162 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by sarawnty
I had a different but similar type of issue occur on our drive down to Florida last November. Cruising at 70 mph, and while passing an off-ramp, the MBUX picks up the yellow offramp speed, say 40 mph, and then slows down abruptly in an unsafe manner. On one occasion a transport truck had to swerve around our GLS. So now I'm cautious passing off-ramps that have have yellow speed limit signs close to the highway.
You could always disable this feature as I have. Too unsafe to use! I keep warning folks that want this feature in their car to be careful what they wish for!
The following 2 users liked this post by EWL5:
jtjbt20x (02-09-2024), wyatt88 (02-11-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 08:40 AM

Received 124 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
I turned it off halfway through the first road trip. I don't go excessively fast, but I do drive with traffic regardless of the posted limit. I would have to correct it after every sign. At one point it even mistook a highway 80 sign for an 80mph limit. My wife was asking what I was doing. Shortly thereafter I found the option to turn off speed limit adoption. I also watched it be repeatedly confused by sequential signs saying one limit for cars and another for trucks & busses. It would initially pickup the car limit, and then pickup the truck/bus limit. Good idea in theory, doesn't work well in the real world. Even if we were talking about fully automated driving it wouldn't be safe to blindly and aggressively adopt a new limit without taking into account the surrounding traffic speed.
The following 3 users liked this post by jkaetz:
EWL5 (02-09-2024), mikapen (02-09-2024), wyatt88 (02-11-2024)