My expereince with GLS450 Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLS450
My expereince with GLS450 Engine

2020 GLS450 EQ Boost (X167) Mercedes Agency recommend Engine replacement,
I have purchased the car from first owner in 3Q 2022 with only 40,000 KM = 25,000 Mile drevin. The car had all its service done by Mercedes agent workshop and drove it from the purchase date until 3Q2023 and done all the services with mercedes agent. Until one time I was out of my resident area long distance the car started expereincing performance failier and shaking badly , I took it to specailized german car workshop and replaced all sparking pluges and the car went to normal after another 5,000Mile of driving the problem came back and this time I was told that the car may have originaly factory defect. So I decided to take it to my local Mercedes agency to check only and give me a report on the problem and cause. The agent requested to remove the engine heads to check and see if they can repaire. The lebore cost $2,700 ,which I accepted and after 3 weeks they came back and said that they consolted with Germany and they recomend to replace the engine because the cylider 4 is leaking oil and another cylider is lightly leaking also and since the warrenty expired I have to pay the full cost of labore and engine replacement which is only $84,000 after discount the cost is $65,000. Naturally I refused and asked them to put back the engine as before and give me the requested report of problem and cause as agreed on. After following up with the agency for more than a month they said the report is read but we will not give it to you, you have to raise a complain with Mercedes Germany and or the local Minstery of commerce in Saudi Arabia and we have to receive a request from these entities befor we release the report directly to them.
Please share with me is this a normal practice or it is a kind of cover up by mercedes local agent. Further more the car only have 50,000Mile and need an engine replacement is this normal for such a high end luxury car. The other option for me is continue using the car and do a spark plug change every 5,000Mile. I only can guess that because this car is the first bach of model 2020 which is went out the german factory in 3Q 2019, it may had a factory defect. Also the agent called the car 4 times to replace parts with windsheeld and some programing among others. I recommend for any new buyer for this car or any other mercedes car at least not to buy the first bach to avoid such problem. My car VIN WDCFF5KE7KA085912 and from Saudi Arabia Mercedes agent Aljafaly. Shame on you mercedes for this service handeling and bad local agent.
Old 07-10-2024, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 688 Likes on 510 Posts
MB
It sounds like Saudia Arabia doesn't have a certified pre-owned warranty that would have covered this issue. Maybe you can mention that to Mercedes and try to get them to cover it or increase the discount significantly.
The following users liked this post:
Splaktar (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLS450
Thank you Wildta for the input,
No you can buy a certified pre owned with at most one year warrently in Saudi Arabia, but you have to buy it directly from the car officail agent and it would be expensive, and the agent may offer an extended warrently at a very high price. In my case I bought it directly from the first owner who used it for 2 years and it only had under 25,000 mile. Also beforecomplete the purchase took the car to the agent for check up and they gave me clean bill of health. This is not my first Mercedes , I bought before it a G500 class from germany with no problem and before it , I imported a E350 sedan from the USA with no problem. I think such a cylinder oil leak usualy developed over long time and in my case appeared after almost a year and half with all services done at the agent. It mean that the agent maintenance is a bad one.
In any case I like the care and I am not going to replace engine cost $64,000 , I am going to look for lightly used complete engine to replace or buy a bare engine block with zero mile to replace the current one.
Old 07-11-2024, 11:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
GLS450
I would buy a used engine before spending $84,000 on a new one. In US, it looks like you can get one with 12k miles for $12,000. If you just needed an engine block, it would cost $1750. Of course the dealership is not going to offer you these solutions.