2020 GLS stuck in update mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2024, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 715 Likes on 530 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by amelen
Yeah, seems like the only option. Frustrating as we're getting a new car in a few weeks and were supposed to trade this one in. Thanks.

"Don’t know what a crazy amount is." -> $400 diagnostic fee that is not covered even if MB decides to cover the rest of the work under warranty.
So of all the dealers nearby, which one charges the least for a diagnostic fee? Once you get that #, have your preferred dealer do the work and when the bill arrives, just ask your SA if they can match the lower amount and mention how you've been a very loyal client.

My preferred dealer always matches the lower price or gets very close.

Last edited by wildta; 07-27-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2024, 12:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Porsche Taycan Turbo / MB GLS 450
Originally Posted by wildta
So of all the dealers nearby, which one charges the least for a diagnostic fee? Once you get that #, have your preferred dealer do the work and when the bill arrives, just ask your SA if they can match the lower amount and mention how you've been a very loyal client.
Tried having the dealer I've been going to discount the diagnostic fee since everyone seems to be a little cheaper. They said no. lol. But yeah, good thought. I'll give it a few more days in case the update goes through. I also saw some people citing that disconnecting the battery helped resolve this issue. I disconnected the negative terminal under the seat for 30min, but nothing reset.
Old 07-27-2024, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
Tried having the dealer I've been going to discount the diagnostic fee since everyone seems to be a little cheaper. They said no. lol. But yeah, good thought. I'll give it a few more days in case the update goes through. I also saw some people citing that disconnecting the battery helped resolve this issue. I disconnected the negative terminal under the seat for 30min, but nothing reset.
That might be a good reason to switch dealers if everything else is equal or close to equal. Like you, I'm lucky to have 4 dealers compete for my business. The closest one has the worst service so I go to another one further away that consistently has the highest prices but they always price match for me, they give out great loaners, I can get appointments next day without issue, and the foreman is willing to chat and drive with me to troubleshoot issues.

Last edited by wildta; 07-27-2024 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
amelen (07-27-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 12:18 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/mercedes_be...n_being_stuck/

Based on that, disconnecting the battery might help - but for some reason, disconnecting the negative terminal under the passenger seat had no effect on anything. What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-27-2024, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 236 Likes on 204 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mercedes_be...n_being_stuck/

Based on that, disconnecting the battery might help - but for some reason, disconnecting the negative terminal under the passenger seat had no effect on anything. What am I doing wrong?
Frustrating situation. Even if it’s drivable, it’s not safe. This was a situation caused by MB. I may be naive but, I think they will make it right.

Last edited by Elvisfan0108; 07-27-2024 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2024, 09:52 AM

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts
2018 G63
Maybe meet with the sales manager at the MB dealership you are getting the new car from and let them know you might pull the car purchase if this is how MB stands behind their product? Ultimately, this problem was created BY Mercedes as their download bricked the PCM.
Old 07-28-2024, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mopars
Maybe meet with the sales manager at the MB dealership you are getting the new car from and let them know you might pull the car purchase if this is how MB stands behind their product? Ultimately, this problem was created BY Mercedes as their download bricked the PCM.
We're switching to Range Rover. Otherwise I would 👀
Old 07-28-2024, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,198 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Mopars
I don't think all Mercedes cars were bricked by a download. Sounds like it's car specific, not a brand wide defect.

That would make it a dealer issue for them to fix. Not a manufacturer "standing behind their product."

I think my stuck download, which fixed itself overnight, was exacerbated by my lousy cell connection.
Old 07-29-2024, 08:55 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
Originally Posted by mikapen
I don't think all Mercedes cars were bricked by a download. Sounds like it's car specific, not a brand wide defect.
Agree. I have had no issues with over the air updates, nor vehicle issues with updating maps (twice) via thumb drive.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:00 AM

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts
'23 GLS450
@amelen , did you by any chance reset personalization and/or profiles and possibly confused the system? Theoretically it shouldn't matter but just putting it out there!
Old 08-01-2024, 10:35 AM

For those following along here - I brought it to a dealership to do some recall updates as well as to check this issue. After trying to do some updates all day yesterday (all of which failed), they said the mbux control unit needs to be replaced. The car is at the dealership pretty much bricked (more-so then it was before) until then. They didn't have loaners eithers, but that's a different story. It seems like the mbux control unit has to come from Germany, so it will be a while.
Old 08-01-2024, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
Thanks for the update. Sorry about that. Will they cover the expense, including diagnostic fee? If not, I'd write to MBUSA. It's out of your hands if an update bricks your unit; it's not like you can prevent an OTA update. It's like saying it's Delta's fault for Crowdstrike bricking their computers. ​​
Old 08-01-2024, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the update. Sorry about that. Will they cover the expense, including diagnostic fee? If not, I'd write to MBUSA. It's out of your hands if an update bricks your unit; it's not like you can prevent an OTA update. It's like saying it's Delta's fault for Crowdstrike bricking their computers. ​​
TBD on what's being covered, but I would hope/assume that MBUSA steps up here. This specific dealership didn't charge the diagnostic fee because I brought it in for the recalls and I warned them about the update issue & did a full reset of it at the dealership (where it tries to update again) and asked them to finish the update. I was hoping they had some special way to just force the update or roll it back honestly. I'm surprised that this will involve hardware from Germany and definitely didn't plan for it. They covered my uber, but I'm stuck at my shore house and will need to rent a car to get my family back to my actual house after this weekend. I also have to figure out how we're doing our family road trip to Canada in 2 weeks - it seems like there is a huge chance the parts they need won't come in for a while.
Old 08-01-2024, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
TBD on what's being covered, but I would hope/assume that MBUSA steps up here. This specific dealership didn't charge the diagnostic fee because I brought it in for the recalls and I warned them about the update issue & did a full reset of it at the dealership (where it tries to update again) and asked them to finish the update. I was hoping they had some special way to just force the update or roll it back honestly. I'm surprised that this will involve hardware from Germany and definitely didn't plan for it. They covered my uber, but I'm stuck at my shore house and will need to rent a car to get my family back to my actual house after this weekend. I also have to figure out how we're doing our family road trip to Canada in 2 weeks - it seems like there is a huge chance the parts they need won't come in for a while.
Ask them to put you on a wait list for a loaner like an EQB since it has 3 rows and comparable legroom
mikapen (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 12:43 PM

Ask them to put you on a wait list for a loaner like an EQB since it has 3 rows and comparable legroom
I'd honestly take any loaner at this point - but they said they have nothing in the coming weeks. Good idea about the wait list, let me ask.
Old 08-01-2024, 12:56 PM

'23 GLS450
Have you talked to the Land Rover dealer to see if the delay in getting the trade-in impacts valuation on the car or are you still waiting for the RR to arrive anyway?
Old 08-01-2024, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by EWL5
Have you talked to the Land Rover dealer to see if the delay in getting the trade-in impacts valuation on the car or are you still waiting for the RR to arrive anyway?
Yes, they said trade-in values will be lower lol. At this point though, it is what it is. The RR should arrive mid-September (they were originally hoping it would be early August). I don't think trade-in on the GLS will be hugely impacted, but can easily be a grand or 2. Wife's car though - and she says she wants a RR (she's had 4 MB's in a row now). I was stuck at the MB dealership most of the day yesterday (they were hoping they'd fix it same-day) - got to look around at some new cars. My Porsche Taycan Turbo warranty is up soon too (makes me scared now given this experience) - they had some decent deals on the EQE/EQS, but I don't think I can live with the exterior look on those. For my car, I think I'd stick with EV - which doesn't leave too many choices from MB - maybe the new electric G-Wagon? Hmm
Old 08-01-2024, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
they had some decent deals on the EQE/EQS, but I don't think I can live with the exterior look on those. For my car, I think I'd stick with EV - which doesn't leave too many choices from MB - maybe the new electric G-Wagon? Hmm
I was pleasantly surprised with the ride quality of the EQE AMG SUV (22" wheels and no acoustic package) loaner I had a couple months ago. My experience was good enough to not be bothered by the looks. Fast forward a couple weeks later, I was behind an EQS SUV and it really reminded me of the R-class which I had always liked when I saw them in the past. So if I ever get one, I'll just rebadge it as an RQS. 🤣

But at the moment, I'm really interested in the new Porsche Active Ride suspension in the new Taycan and Panamera. I have E-ABC so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Old 08-01-2024, 01:33 PM

I was pleasantly surprised with the ride quality of the EQE AMG SUV (22" wheels and no acoustic package) loaner I had a couple months ago. My experience was good enough to not be bothered by the looks. Fast forward a couple weeks later, I was behind an EQS SUV and it really reminded me of the R-class which I had always liked when I saw them in the past. So if I ever get one, I'll just rebadge it as an RQS. 🤣

But at the moment, I'm really interested in the new Porsche Active Ride suspension in the new Taycan and Panamera. I have E-ABC so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

The interior and ride quality on the EQE/EQS is superb. I wish they'd do something on the exterior though - maybe with some body packages and different wheels it can be workable. My Taycan has all the bells and whistles but it's before the latest gen of active suspensions. Taycan has been great honestly - but wife complains that it's too small (so we wind up using it very rarely - I just use it for personal drives, which are minimal).

EDIT: In your picture above it actually looks decent - the ones I saw in real life didn't look as good though.
Old 08-01-2024, 01:42 PM

Dealership said they can't give me a loaner or put me on a waiting list for one lol. Oh well, I tried though
Old 08-01-2024, 06:19 PM

'23 GLS450
Yes, they said trade-in values will be lower lol. At this point though, it is what it is. The RR should arrive mid-September (they were originally hoping it would be early August). I don't think trade-in on the GLS will be hugely impacted, but can easily be a grand or 2. Wife's car though - and she says she wants a RR (she's had 4 MB's in a row now). I was stuck at the MB dealership most of the day yesterday (they were hoping they'd fix it same-day) - got to look around at some new cars. My Porsche Taycan Turbo warranty is up soon too (makes me scared now given this experience) - they had some decent deals on the EQE/EQS, but I don't think I can live with the exterior look on those. For my car, I think I'd stick with EV - which doesn't leave too many choices from MB - maybe the new electric G-Wagon? Hmm
Just be glad that "congestion tax" in Manhattan didn't go through!
Have you considered Rivian for EV?
Old 08-01-2024, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by EWL5
Just be glad that "congestion tax" in Manhattan didn't go through!
Have you considered Rivian for EV?
Luckily I'm in north NJ and don't go into NYC much I liked the Rivian, wife didn't.
Old 08-06-2024, 03:33 PM

As an update, the dealership repaired everything - $0 cost to me.
EWL5 (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 586 Posts
N/A
As an update, the dealership repaired everything - $0 cost to me.
​​​​​​Lucky you because an MBUX replacement is like $5k!
Old 08-06-2024, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eaton
​​​​​​Lucky you because an MBUX replacement is like $5k!
Yes! It really is MB's fault for bricking the car with the update - but I'm glad they took care of it without me having to escalate things. Digging into it - my best guess from everything I've seen is that they somehow had the car as a 2021 internally (even in the MB App it always showed 2021 for some reason - maybe a covid-era issue/glitch). In reality, the car is a 2020. The OTA updated they pushed out appeared to be for a 2021 (and the car is a 2020). Either way, happy that it was resolved without any more headaches, and as a silver lining, I got to see the 2025 G-Wagon and surprisingly liked it. Might consider the electric one to replace my Taycan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 GLS stuck in update mode