Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

slk 55 vs LS1 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slk 55 vs LS1 Camaro SS

well.. after looking at C&D track times of the slk55 amg I got a big head about having one and thought nothing can beat me haha.

so last night about 1am after watching batman begins me and my buddy actually drove down the fwy looking for someone to race! finally a Camaro... as I am coming behind him I notice it has dual flat type rectangle exhaust in the center of the bumper... pull aside him and just PREY to see the SS badge! YES!!

we are side by side as step on it to open the loud exhaust.. well that was a no go.. so I threw it in "N" and reved it.. still a no go! I tried to look beyond its dark tint and saw only 1 person.. I assumed it was an older person just driving to or from work.. I accel past him to about 85mph so that I was at least 2 cars ahead of him. first let me say im not an experianced "street racer" but I kept looking in my drivers sideview mirror.. I couldnt tell if I was letting off the gas or if he wanted some! so as he is already pulling up to my rear bumper I floor it.. and pulled so hard I said.. OKAY he's not flooring it.. so I let off and he slingshots past me so I floored it again as its ON! I cant remember exactly what went on.. but the front of his car was at about the rear of my door. GAINING VERY SLOWLY!!! I have time to talk to my friend and say What the hell? he's pulling on me! well I would not let off as we hit 140+mph but! he still did not pass me. traffic came up.. he took the 57 and I went home wanting to puke from driving so fast.

anyways! I used to have this buddy with this same exact type of camaro it was maybe a 2000 or something? he always bragged about never losing a race. As I remember a camaro has 315HP and the SS had 325HP and my buddy said his Convertable SS had 350HP becuzz it had the extra weight.

the camaro SS I raced looked stock too! my guess is that it was not stock tho..I didnt hear any kind of loud exhaust.. can anyone tell me how a STOCK camaro SS vs. a STOCK slk55amg would go?

I mean.. if I cant even pull on a Camaro SS then its not even worth me playing with a c5 vette.. or a z06? forget about it.. someone plz tell me he had mods.. OR that he already had momentem going and my reaction time PLUS letting off the gas..then flooring it again had ALOT to do with it.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by alphanumeric
well.. after looking at C&D track times of the slk55 amg I got a big head about having one and thought nothing can beat me haha.

so last night about 1am after watching batman begins me and my buddy actually drove down the fwy looking for someone to race! finally a Camaro... as I am coming behind him I notice it has dual flat type rectangle exhaust in the center of the bumper... pull aside him and just PREY to see the SS badge! YES!!

we are side by side as step on it to open the loud exhaust.. well that was a no go.. so I threw it in "N" and reved it.. still a no go! I tried to look beyond its dark tint and saw only 1 person.. I assumed it was an older person just driving to or from work.. I accel past him to about 85mph so that I was at least 2 cars ahead of him. first let me say im not an experianced "street racer" but I kept looking in my drivers sideview mirror.. I couldnt tell if I was letting off the gas or if he wanted some! so as he is already pulling up to my rear bumper I floor it.. and pulled so hard I said.. OKAY he's not flooring it.. so I let off and he slingshots past me so I floored it again as its ON! I cant remember exactly what went on.. but the front of his car was at about the rear of my door. GAINING VERY SLOWLY!!! I have time to talk to my friend and say What the hell? he's pulling on me! well I would not let off as we hit 140+mph but! he still did not pass me. traffic came up.. he took the 57 and I went home wanting to puke from driving so fast.

anyways! I used to have this buddy with this same exact type of camaro it was maybe a 2000 or something? he always bragged about never losing a race. As I remember a camaro has 315HP and the SS had 325HP and my buddy said his Convertable SS had 350HP becuzz it had the extra weight.

the camaro SS I raced looked stock too! my guess is that it was not stock tho..I didnt hear any kind of loud exhaust.. can anyone tell me how a STOCK camaro SS vs. a STOCK slk55amg would go?

I mean.. if I cant even pull on a Camaro SS then its not even worth me playing with a c5 vette.. or a z06? forget about it.. someone plz tell me he had mods.. OR that he already had momentem going and my reaction time PLUS letting off the gas..then flooring it again had ALOT to do with it.
Alpha-man.... Improviz is your man... He'll be able to pull all the numbers you need from some dark place and publish them here for you
Old 06-18-2005, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
He probably had some light mods, plus you had passenger. All other things being equal, you should pull a stock SS.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:07 PM

2004 Pontiac GTO
The LS1 SS Camaro's were advertised at 325 crank HP. They typically dyno between 310hp and 330hp at the wheels... 100% Stock.

I'd say he was pretty close to stock if not all stock.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
Originally Posted by mrankovic
Alpha-man.... Improviz is your man... He'll be able to pull all the numbers you need from some dark place and publish them here for you
lol hahaha isn't that the truth. Improviz knows his *****. Wait til he comes in here and gives you the breakdown.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2003 Black SL500
The Camaro SS's and Pontiac Firehawk's that are made by SLP, use the same engine. Both come equipped with a 5.7 liter LS1 V8 putting out 345hp and 350 ft. pounds of torque.

Last edited by Overclocked412; 07-08-2005 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by FIXEDupW209
lol hahaha isn't that the truth. Improviz knows his *****. Wait til he comes in here and gives you the breakdown.
Lol! Thanks, guys...

Stock to stock, an SLK55 would whomp a Firehawk, assuming you both romp it at the same time (more on that in a moment). The SLK55 is testing in the 12's, the Firehawks were in the mid-high 13's. That's pretty significant.

HOWEVER, be aware that there are *tons* of easy, cheap mods available for those LS1 motors, and there are lots of people doing them; I've seen plenty of those things in the 12's, even the 11's...lots of people w/NOS, etc...

But the race as you're describing it sounds to me like he was into it before you got on it...that puts you at a huge disadvantage, and even in a faster car you're still in trouble. Why? Consider this: if two cars run a 1/4 mile one second apart, but the slower car hops on it 1 second sooner, the first car lost its advantage. At the end of the 1/4, they'll be equal. So, if the car's times to accelerat to a given distance were lain side by side:

youyouyouyouyou
himhimhimhimhimhimhimhimhim

...and you then throw in the time delay:
delaydelaydelayyouyouyouyouyou
himhimhimhimhimhimhimhimhim

....you can see what can happen; even though you're faster, you just lost your time advantage!

Same principle applies here. He got on it first, built up enough speed to where you were already down 15-20 mph, so now you're starting out in catchup mode. Since he's already going faster and still accelerating, you've got to first catch up *to* his speed, and then pass him. But he's a moving target; his speed is also increasing, so it'll just take you that much longer.

Time-wise, he probably got on it a good second or so before you, and then factor in your reaction time, the time it took you to stomp the throttle, the time it took the car to react and downshift, etc., and you were probably at a good two second disadvantage. Even against a stock one, it'd be pretty tough to close that gap in the time you had to do it!

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2005, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes
correct me if i'm mistaken. you put the car in N while you were already on the highway and revved it. If so I can't imagine that that is good for the tranny.