Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

CLS55 vs Vanquish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by athlon70
Similar weight and you have 80+ hp on him. Not hard.

But nothing has the prestige and looks of an Aston, net even Ford can **** that up.

Oh, ye of little faith. Ford can (and will) ***** up anything. Take the Jag X-Type, for example. . .

BTW, Ferrari has this little car called an "Enzo."

Actually, there are at least 5 vintage Ferraris that have far more prestige than an Aston. IMO, the Aston screams the same pimp or midlife crisis song as the Bentley Continental GT.

Let's divert this thread. . . If you were given $300K with the condition that you had to spend every dime on a car or cars within a month (and assuming that you had unlimited parking facilities), what would you buy?

My list:

An '03 or '04 S55 (roughly $80K with 20K miles)
An 06 Corvette Z06 (roughly $80K new)
A 550 Maranello (roughly $120K with 10K miles)
A cherry VW Thing convertible (roughly $10K)
An AMC Pacer, preferably eggplant in color, for those days when you just wanna be ugly (priceless).
Old 09-11-2005, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever keys I grab first...
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
You are looking at one single element...speed off the line under a very narrow set of circumstances.

Hardly what is used to judge a truely great car and it's performance.

Surely, anyone would understand this, except you. I fear you may be asleep yet again.

You amuse me. However, you are becoming a bit annoying with the Aston crap. Forget it, that car is pathetic.

You fail to see the topic of this thread was "Speed off the line". Not ripping through turn-pikes and assaulting tracks.

Why don't you throw down some track times if you're so presistent? Or something other than you're "asleep" comment...
Old 09-11-2005, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you have a Ferrari and/or a Vanquish S or are you just mouthing off again.
I've neither, just stating my opinion which you decide to down grade with you're "asleep" comments.

Below is a post off a Ferrari forum and unlike you...this gentleman does have both a 360 and a Vanquish S.

He picks the Vanquish S over the Ferrari.

"No, in fact I prefer it over the Ferrari.

I've had the Vanquish 2 weeks now and drove it 1,200 miles, the Ferrari is one year old with 2,050 miles. The Ferrari's upshifts are very inconsistent, literally slamming it into gears sometime. Also, some upshifts are faster than others. Frankly, sometimes I think to myself I hope nothing is going to snap.

The Vanquish seems to just ease it into gear on the upshifts, never abruptly. The Vanquish definitely downshifts faster than the Ferrari. It upshifts a tad faster...maybe a hair, but much smoother. But the downshifts are a dream.

Ironically, in auto mode they're flip-flopped. The Ferrari is stays in gear more before upshifting, whereas the Vanquish upshifts quickly to get into top gear ASAP. This is probably a function of the torque curves.

I read someplace where "once you sit in an Aston, you will end up having one for the rest of your life." That is an absolute truth. The feeling I have right now is that I will always try to have one in my garage. Don't get me wrong, the Ferrari is a blast, but I'd much rather say "yeah I once had a Ferrari" than the other way around. And I'm Italian, 100% first generation DAGO."
You've failed to prove you're point again, as I've said, post some facts-- not opinions. I could give a **** and a half less if this "gentlemen" is Italian, and owns all three cars, including the lowly SL500-- it does not validate his nor you'r point.

Originally Posted by LovinSl600
Keep dreaming my wanna-be friend.
I've never stated I want to be you're friend, nor have I given you an impression, you must not be thinking clearly.

Below are his cars. Oh, he has an SL so even you might consider him be an intelligent man.
No, no, I don't. Sorry.

Are you EVER going to post some facts? Like:

1. Timeslips
2. Track times
3. Reputable mag article

Something along those lines you know?
Old 09-11-2005, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh, I forgot this one. This is a post off the same thread in the Ferrari forum. This comment is from someone that is not only a Ferrari owner but a Sponsor of the 'Ferrari" site.
Is it REALLY? NO! You must be joking...

"Great looking cars, ----. The Vanquish S is probably the most beautiful production car right now. Love the new spoiler lip they went with."
And... it proves what? A Ferrari owner fancies an Aston? Ok...

Lexani, can we now talk about something for which you have actual knowledge?
Ok...

It is my understanding that you are ignorant of facts, and are intent on proving you're opinions, with others opinions.

That's actual knowledge.

Since Aston Craptin is sooooo great, some track numbers and Le Mans wins that best Mercedes should be a cinch to find, no? Get to it...

And for God's sake, stop trying to prove you're point of Aston Martin looking better with owner's comments, and such-- style is the only thing I'll give you, because I cannot make you think otherwise. When comparing style is not a 1+1=2 deal, you have you're opinion, I've mine. However, when speaking of performance, you must come to you're senses: Aston is in NO WAY superior to Mercedes (least the two vehicles being judged).

A member posted times in this very thread from a track where both vehicles were tested, and though the win for the Mercedes was by a slite margin, it's still a win, and you have to face facts.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Calm, Lexani, Calm.

How about this for a truth: The only guy who should buy a Vanquish S is a guy who could buy 10 of them, with cash, tomorrow, if he wished. If you have gazillions of dollars, then buy the Vanquish S, buy a Maybach, buy a Rolls, get a Patek for each hand and each day of the week, and live it up.

If you buy one because you can't afford more than one, then you are a poser, and should have allocated your hard-earned money to something wiser. There are many cars for 1/2 the price which are comparable or superior. The AMGs, for example. The new M-class, for example. The Bentley GT is probably the best example (for 1/2 the price). San Francisco Lover took offense at a Vanquish getting smoked by a CLS AMG because such event hammers home the fact that the Vanquish is ridiculously overpriced.

For $300K, I would expect acceleration which would surpass a Corvette, luxury which would surpass a Rolls, and heritage which would surpass a Duesey. Instead, the Aston gets smoked by the Vette, gets out-comfied by the Rolls, and is built by Ford. Enough said.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
lex no need to an attack. we arent at war. you actually threw down the derogitory comments 1st.

the nor cal guy is entitled to his thoughts. the thoughts he has of the austin being faster is wrong based on the data posted however he can love the austin all he wants. heck he bought one.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Guys, let's keep it civil
Old 09-12-2005, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by AMG_Eric
lex no need to an attack. we arent at war. you actually threw down the derogitory comments 1st.

the nor cal guy is entitled to his thoughts. the thoughts he has of the austin being faster is wrong based on the data posted however he can love the austin all he wants. heck he bought one.
Thanks for your comments.

One point of clarification. What I was trying to say is that a test in very limited circumstances of how fast a car gets from one point to another under certain controlled conditions does not determine who wins in any kind of race as was being described.

I have learned that when you buy high performance exotic cars, they are measured by those with egos in 0-60 mph.

When you actually get the chance to drive them for any period of time you come to realize a cars performance and who might win in a game of "war" has nothing to do with your 0-60 times especially when they are so close.

In that case there is no comparison.

Surely, even a Ford can give you something more for that extra $200,00. Does anyone think it might have to do with performance?

I mean, let's get real. We are comaring a Vanquish S to a CLS55. Those in the know would not even attempt such a comparision, including our friends at Mercedes Benz.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:10 AM

who really ****ing cares if some car is faster by a second or what? Are you going to be out running cops and you need that second?? The AM is a legendary exotic, and is probably worth every penny.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Thanks for your comments.

One point of clarification. What I was trying to say is that a test in very limited circumstances of how fast a car gets from one point to another under certain controlled conditions does not determine who wins in any kind of race as was being described.

I have learned that when you buy high performance exotic cars, they are measured by those with egos in 0-60 mph.

When you actually get the chance to drive them for any period of time you come to realize a cars performance and who might win in a game of "war" has nothing to do with your 0-60 times especially when they are so close.

In that case there is no comparison.

Surely, even a Ford can give you something more for that extra $200,00. Does anyone think it might have to do with performance?

I mean, let's get real. We are comaring a Vanquish S to a CLS55. Those in the know would not even attempt such a comparision, including our friends at Mercedes Benz.
ok its time we address this. what is super pathetic here is that a $60k 4 cyl supercharged car beat the living snot out of the belovid auston and the cls55 or any mbz for that matter (by a 1.5 sec in the case of the slr). thats right the ariel atom a little 2 seater turned the auston inside out. in fact it didnt just beat it it destroyed it by almost 8 seconds on a track that never changes. this little number will out accelorate out turn the auston. it doesnt come with seats covered in cow hide nor does it have fancy gadgets strewn about. its a car built on a premise to drive like the ****ens. what is even crazier is i can get one for under $40k used. that is a far cry for what did u pay for that vanquish? i bet i would get a lot more heads turning in that little crappy areil also. probably because they are rare in the usa, but not in britain of course.

i respect that you have the cash to spend as you see fit but to think the auston is the end all be all is kinda foolish. sure you can outspend me 1 mil x over however all your money wont make the auston faster then a piece of crud 4 cyl that has a tiny supercharger made by HONDA of all people (the engine that is).

lets suffice it to say the auston is nice. lots of people quest for one all their lives (not me i prefer something else for 300k like a used porsche gt). a cls based on pure results i have seen just nudges the auston in speed and going around a track. its not noticable enough that you or i could go "oh yeah the cls kicked the snot outta the cls." it just isnt possible with 2 closely matched cars. however they are different strokes for differnet folks and i for one hate the looks of the cls and think the austin dbr9 is sexy *** hell.

who wouldnt want this?
Attached Thumbnails CLS55 vs Vanquish-dbr9_profile_bd6af46e-86ac-4ef6-9da1-71bb113b71d3-1-.jpg  
Old 09-12-2005, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok its time we address this. what is super pathetic here is that a $60k 4 cyl supercharged car beat the living snot out of the belovid auston and the cls55 or any mbz for that matter (by a 1.5 sec in the case of the slr). thats right the ariel atom a little 2 seater turned the auston inside out. in fact it didnt just beat it it destroyed it by almost 8 seconds on a track that never changes. this little number will out accelorate out turn the auston. it doesnt come with seats covered in cow hide nor does it have fancy gadgets strewn about. its a car built on a premise to drive like the ****ens. what is even crazier is i can get one for under $40k used. that is a far cry for what did u pay for that vanquish? i bet i would get a lot more heads turning in that little crappy areil also. probably because they are rare in the usa, but not in britain of course.

i respect that you have the cash to spend as you see fit but to think the auston is the end all be all is kinda foolish. sure you can outspend me 1 mil x over however all your money wont make the auston faster then a piece of crud 4 cyl that has a tiny supercharger made by HONDA of all people (the engine that is).

lets suffice it to say the auston is nice. lots of people quest for one all their lives (not me i prefer something else for 300k like a used porsche gt). a cls based on pure results i have seen just nudges the auston in speed and going around a track. its not noticable enough that you or i could go "oh yeah the cls kicked the snot outta the cls." it just isnt possible with 2 closely matched cars. however they are different strokes for differnet folks and i for one hate the looks of the cls and think the austin dbr9 is sexy *** hell.

who wouldnt want this?
No exotic car has all the answers. They all have their different attributes and none are the "end all" for everything.

Once you know what you want, you pick your car and if it's attributes do not make you happy I'd suggest forgetting about the $200,000 to $300,000.

My friend has a $55,000 Cobra that would kick the living you know what out to most cars in 0-60 but when he drives more than 30 minutes he has back aches. But, he sure loves it for those 30 mintutes.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
No exotic car has all the answers. They all have their different attributes and none are the "end all" for everything.

Once you know what you want, you pick your car and if it's attributes do not make you happy I'd suggest forgetting about the $200,000 to $300,000.

My friend has a $55,000 Cobra that would kick the living you know what out to most cars in 0-60 but when he drives more than 30 minutes he has back aches. But, he sure loves it for those 30 mintutes.
ok now that was FUNNY. i bet that car kils him if its the real deal. my buddy has one of those drag/mustangs and i wont dare sit in it. i will need more back discs replaced. i already have 2 dont need anymore.

one a better note you could take him in the corners with your vanquish. and after about 30 min you could take him in a straight line because he would be at the chiropractor.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
That picture of the Aston S is totally beautiful! Puts that SL & 360 to shame, IMO.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I mean, let's get real. We are comaring a Vanquish S to a CLS55. Those in the know would not even attempt such a comparision, including our friends at Mercedes Benz..
Let's be clear here: the fact that the Vanquish S is a more expensive and (imo, and this is subjective) a sexier, sportier-looking car than the CLS55 does not in any way preclude a comparison of its capabilities to that of the CLS55, and frankly it smacks of hubris and blind arrogance for one to even make such a statement.

This thread, lest you forget, IS about a straightline run. And given that the Vanquish he ran is almost certainly a 460 horse version, which the CLS55 or any other supercharged Benz would assassinate in such a race per every published road test I've seen of the cars, your original attack on the poster who shared this story with us has been shown to be nothing more than partisan sniping unwarranted by the facts.

So rather than admit you were wrong, and that the results as relayed were entirely plausible, you simply changed the subject to something far more difficult to debate: a subjective argument as to which car is "better". This is like arguing over brunettes versus blondes, and is not an argument which can be won, which was almost certainly the intent of your sudden subject change.

Is a Bentley a better car than a Porshe? At what? It is a silly argument. Is either a better car than the new Corvette Z06? Not on a racetrack, where either would be ground to powder by the new $65,000 'vette.

But that aside, the data produced for both cars, and the acceleration data that Aston Martin and Mercedes both publish for these cars on their websites, *clearly* shows that the CLS55 is not only comparable, but superior to the AM in acceleration. Further, the data produced from Top Gear shows than when tested by a professional driver, the CLS55 scored a significantly faster lap time than did the Vanquish, which *also* shows that the handling of the CLS55 is equal to or better than the Vanquish.

You are certainly entitled to your subjective opinion that the AM is a better car, but to state that the cars should not be compared is a ridiculous statement given the cars' performance numbers. Here is a clear case where more money clearly does not equal better performance; the numbers have been provided, the cars *are* comparable, and so far the CLS55 has turned the faster numbers, *both* in a straight line *and* on a racetrack.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by Improviz
Let's be clear here: the fact that the Vanquish S is a more expensive and (imo, and this is subjective) a sexier, sportier-looking car than the CLS55 does not in any way preclude a comparison of its capabilities to that of the CLS55, and frankly it smacks of hubris and blind arrogance for one to even make such a statement.

This thread, lest you forget, IS about a straightline run. And given that the Vanquish he ran is almost certainly a 460 horse version, which the CLS55 or any other supercharged Benz would assassinate in such a race per every published road test I've seen of the cars, your original attack on the poster who shared this story with us has been shown to be nothing more than partisan sniping unwarranted by the facts.

So rather than admit you were wrong, and that the results as relayed were entirely plausible, you simply changed the subject to something far more difficult to debate: a subjective argument as to which car is "better". This is like arguing over brunettes versus blondes, and is not an argument which can be won, which was almost certainly the intent of your sudden subject change.

Is a Bentley a better car than a Porshe? At what? It is a silly argument. Is either a better car than the new Corvette Z06? Not on a racetrack, where either would be ground to powder by the new $65,000 'vette.

But that aside, the data produced for both cars, and the acceleration data that Aston Martin and Mercedes both publish for these cars on their websites, *clearly* shows that the CLS55 is not only comparable, but superior to the AM in acceleration. Further, the data produced from Top Gear shows than when tested by a professional driver, the CLS55 scored a significantly faster lap time than did the Vanquish, which *also* shows that the handling of the CLS55 is equal to or better than the Vanquish.

You are certainly entitled to your subjective opinion that the AM is a better car, but to state that the cars should not be compared is a ridiculous statement given the cars' performance numbers. Here is a clear case where more money clearly does not equal better performance; the numbers have been provided, the cars *are* comparable, and so far the CLS55 has turned the faster numbers, *both* in a straight line *and* on a racetrack.
damnnnnnnnn, Improviz layin the smack down nicely! are you a lawyer or were you president of the debate team in high school? cause everytime i read one of your straight up, point blank responses im always like damn, hes right on point. your view/opinion is always very clear, easy to read and always backed up with the facts. kudos Improviz, well said!
Old 09-12-2005, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Thanks, BklynBenz!!

Originally Posted by BklynBenz
damnnnnnnnn, Improviz layin the smack down nicely! are you a lawyer or were you president of the debate team in high school? cause everytime i read one of your straight up, point blank responses im always like damn, hes right on point. your view/opinion is always very clear, easy to read and always backed up with the facts. kudos Improviz, well said!
Thanks, bro...no, not a lawyer, but I do get asked that question a lot in these forums! It's interesting, as I have been entertaining the notion for some time of going to law shool, but haven't jumped in--yet.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:32 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts
There is a plethora of lower priced cars in all classes that out perform much more expensive cars in 0-60 acceleration etc...

I'd take an automobile like a 2006 Vanquish S hands down over a CLS55 or any other recent production MB except for maybe an SLR.

I've owned exotics in the past, and there is something to be said about driving a true exotic car and it simply cannot be found in lesser marques.

Enjoy your 2006 Vanquish S Lovin and when run of the mill CLS's are parked in the back of the lot and a crowd gathers around your Aston, take pride in what an amazing automobile you were blessed to own.

I'm leaving this thread for good and I'd suggest you do the same. Let the nay sayers languish amongst themselves.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Further, the data produced from Top Gear shows than when tested by a professional driver, the CLS55 scored a significantly faster lap time than did the Vanquish, which *also* shows that the handling of the CLS55 is equal to or better than the Vanquish.
hold on there big guy. i posted the top gear info about the aston. the car that destroys the cls and am was the little ariel atom 4cyl. the aston and the cls are less then a half second apart. in fact that are .2 seconds apart. enough to say they are equal or at the very least the stig had a full stomach 1 day. there is no way you can leap from a .2 second difference to saying the CLS scored a "significantly faster lap time."

for the record the ariel atoms lap time is Ariel Atom 1.19.5 a half second slower then the enzo.

the Aston Martin Vanquish S 1.27.1
http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/

Originally Posted by Evil Duffman
Actually top gear did test the CLS 55
track time: 1:26.9 FOR CLS 55 AMG
Old 09-12-2005, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
hold on there big guy. i posted the top gear info about the aston. the car that destroys the cls and am was the little ariel atom 4cyl. the aston and the cls are less then a half second apart. in fact that are .2 seconds apart. enough to say they are equal or at the very least the stig had a full stomach 1 day. there is no way you can leap from a .2 second difference to saying the CLS scored a "significantly faster lap time."

the Aston Martin Vanquish S 1.27.1
http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/
You're either missing my point or are ignoring it, so let me state it again, along with a bit of history:

1) Someone claimed to have toasted a Vanquish in a straightline race with his CLS55;

2) LovinSL600 claimed that this was impossible, and that the original poster was dreaming;

3) I posted performance data for the CLS55 which showed that it had actually been tested faster than the *new* Aston, and FYI its 12.4 second 1/4 mile run is about 0.7 faster than the previous Vanquish, which is in all likelihood the car that the original poster ran;

4) someone else posted data from Top Gear which showed that the CLS55 had been tested faster around a circuit.

Now, whether this is 0.2 or 2.0 doesn't really matter; the point is, and say it with me now: the performance of the two cars is comparable, and that anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

If two cars accelerate to triple digit speeds within a tenth or two of the other, they are comparable. If they lap within 0.2 of each other, they are comparable.

Therefore, my point is that LovinSL600 was absolutely, flat-out wrong when he stated:

1) that the CLS55 could not possibly have beaten a Vanquish in a straightline race;

2) that the performance of the two cars is not comparable.

I hope this has clarified my point.

As to whether 0.2 is significantly faster; depends upon how it was measured. If over multiple laps it is *consistently* 0.2 seconds faster, then at the end of a 50 lap race the Vanquish would be ten full seconds behind the CLS55, an eternity in a race; even after ten laps, this would be two seconds, a huge margin.

Of course, these are street cars, not track cars, and I agree that 0.2 certainly isn't enough of a difference to sway most people's purchase decisions one way or the other (it certainly wouldn't sway mine one way or the other)...so for 99.99% of drivers this is nothing more than trivia, but in an actual circuit race, 0.2 is definitely significant.

Last edited by Improviz; 09-12-2005 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
jeeez....leave the guy alone already. The egos on this site are ginormous.

we get it, its very clear:

FACT: CLS 55 is faster on striaght line and on circuit (indisputable)

OPINION: Vanquish S is nicer looking, CLS 55 is a better car. (disputable)

end of story.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
You're either missing my point or are ignoring it, so let me state it again, along with a bit of history:

1) Someone claimed to have toasted a Vanquish in a straightline race with his CLS55;

2) LovinSL600 claimed that this was impossible, and that the original poster was dreaming;

3) I posted performance data for the CLS55 which showed that it had actually been tested faster than the *new* Aston, and FYI its 12.4 second 1/4 mile run is about 0.7 faster than the previous Vanquish, which is in all likelihood the car that the original poster ran;

4) someone else posted data from Top Gear which showed that the CLS55 had been tested faster around a circuit.

Now, whether this is 0.2 or 2.0 doesn't really matter; the point is, and say it with me now: the performance of the two cars is comparable, and that anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

If two cars accelerate to triple digit speeds within a tenth or two of the other, they are comparable. If they lap within 0.2 of each other, they are comparable.

Therefore, my point is that LovinSL600 was absolutely, flat-out wrong when he stated:

1) that the CLS55 could not possibly have beaten a Vanquish in a straightline race;

2) that the performance of the two cars is not comparable.

I hope this has clarified my point.

As to whether 0.2 is significantly faster; depends upon how it was measured. If over multiple laps it is *consistently* 0.2 seconds faster, then at the end of a 50 lap race the Vanquish would be ten full seconds behind the CLS55, an eternity in a race; even after ten laps, this would be two seconds, a huge margin.

Of course, these are street cars, not track cars, and I agree that 0.2 certainly isn't enough of a difference to sway most people's purchase decisions one way or the other (it certainly wouldn't sway mine one way or the other)...so for 99.99% of drivers this is nothing more than trivia, but in an actual circuit race, 0.2 is definitely significant.
ive been on this thread from the begining. so cool your jets turbo. i was merely pointing out that your exagerated statement was just that exagerated.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Speed Thrills

I didn't even have time to take the ABS off but right out of the gate I pulled ahead of him about a car length even with the ABS light flickering a bit. For the next block I just kept pulling farther ahead until we had to slow. Being a good friend he smiled and gave me the thumbs up. Soon after we jumped on the freeway to go our separate ways and I had the same results on a pretty steep on-ramp pulling way ahead of him but noticed as I approached 120 he held the distance. Good fun.
I think those of you that are arguing with me are missing my point. First, read the words above and honestly tell me in a straight line race given how close the performance statistics are, do you really think these words could accurately reflect a race between two equally skilled drivers.

My second point that you don't seem to understand is that you keep using the word performance and just don't seem to understand that performance is so much more than just straight line speed.

The cars when looked at from a performance point of view are just not comparable. I could mention certain other exotics that the Vanquish S would not be comparable to. I can admit that to myself.

Can we please stick to the real issues we are discussing? I believe I was on point when I was saying that he was "dreaming" to think that the CLS would "kill" the Vanquish S under any circumstances. What he describes might have happened but not because of speed related performance. That was my point.

Given the opportunity to spend $300,000 on a single car, no one would spend it on a CLS55 over a Vanquish S. Conversely, if you could buy a Vanquish S for $100,000, no one would buy the CLS55 when they could have the Vanquish S for that same $100,000. This being the case, why do you think it is true? That too is obvious.

If you can't admit this to yourself it is senseless to have these discussions as you are obviously not willing to look at the truth.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 Bentley GTC, Porsche GT2/EVOMS GT700, 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi
I think those of you that are arguing with me are missing my point. First, read the words above and honestly tell me in a straight line race given how close the performance statistics are, do you really think these words could accurately reflect a race between two equally skilled drivers.

My second point that you don't seem to understand is that you keep using the word performance and just don't seem to understand that performance is so much more than just straight line speed.

The cars when looked at from a performance point of view are just not comparable. I could mention certain other exotics that the Vanquish S would not be comparable to. I can admit that to myself.

Can we please stick to the real issues we are discussing? I believe I was on point when I was saying that he was "dreaming" to think that the CLS would "kill" the Vanquish S under any circumstances. What he describes might have happened but not because of speed related performance. That was my point.

Given the opportunity to spend $300,000 on a single car, no one would spend it on a CLS55 over a Vanquish S. Conversely, if you could buy a Vanquish S for $100,000, no one would buy the CLS55 when they could have the Vanquish S for that same $100,000. This being the case, why do you think it is true? That too is obvious.

If you can't admit this to yourself it is senseless to have these discussions as you are obviously not willing to look at the truth.
There is no need to defend your decision or explain your choice. Obviously you have had the wherewithall to earn the $ to purchase what you want, that says alot!!! It's your choice, I doubt that many could have the luxury to actually choose whether or not to buy a Vanquish S, you do!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmmmm. Didn't know laps were straight. You learn something new every day.

Oh, I forgot, now the suspension in the CLS is superior to the Vanquish S.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Nice kill !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLS55 vs Vanquish