Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

had fun with an M3 tonight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g
Originally Posted by MJ1133
I never said I didnt believe the C32 or C55 was faster then the M3, I was just trying to end the arguement above.
Damn MJ, I see the M is back to it's old dirtyself. Parkin'-lot Pimpin'
Old 12-21-2005, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88 Caddy on 28's
Originally Posted by NOTKTS
Damn MJ, I see the M is back to it's old dirtyself. Parkin'-lot Pimpin'
It's how I do
Old 12-21-2005, 08:23 PM

06 SLK55
I never said I didnt believe the C32 or C55 was faster then the M3, I was just trying to end the arguement above.
I was responding to you while at the same time getting back on topic...this all started with people not beleiving the race and the amount the c32 pulled.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:29 PM

02 ML320, 06 E350
This topic is just getting stupid lets just end it and everyone walk away. here are the facts the C32 is modded and in a race will beat an M3 no doubt. another fact is as soon as the M3 got close tot he C32 the C32 driver floored his car without letting the M3 driver lineup or have any notice, so it wasnt a fair race. i am sure if you have an M3 and wait for an E55 to creep up next to you expecting you to line up with him and race like normal street racer do but if your the M3 driver and just floor it without giving the E55 driver warning i bet the E55 wont catch up till way after 100mph. It takes a lot of power for a car to catch a car that has a at minimum 1/2second jump.

So can we all end this? i have no doubt you beat the M3 in an unfair race. your story reminds me of a ricer flyby.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by BiTurboV12 AMG
This topic is just getting stupid lets just end it and everyone walk away. here are the facts the C32 is modded and in a race will beat an M3 no doubt. another fact is as soon as the M3 got close tot he C32 the C32 driver floored his car without letting the M3 driver lineup or have any notice, so it wasnt a fair race. i am sure if you have an M3 and wait for an E55 to creep up next to you expecting you to line up with him and race like normal street racer do but if your the M3 driver and just floor it without giving the E55 driver warning i bet the E55 wont catch up till way after 100mph. It takes a lot of power for a car to catch a car that has a at minimum 1/2second jump.

So can we all end this? i have no doubt you beat the M3 in an unfair race. your story reminds me of a ricer flyby.

$$$$$$$$$$$???????????
Old 12-22-2005, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by anerbe
this is getting too off topic -

insulting and condescending are two different things. I never claimed the first.
also, it seems you thrive on internet debates. there's obviously no winning on this, considering you have multiple debates you like to keep on the same post.
Which doesn't prevent you from trying....

i'm tired of saying this, but once again, read my post more carefully. I never claimed F=MA as "theoretical". The assumption that the car will be faster by removing weight is theoretical.
No, it is factual. Otherwise, please explain how a Lotus Elise, which has the same engine as the Toyota Celica, manages to run the 1/4 mile in the 13's while the Celica is in the 15's, how the E55 and CLK55s ran in the low-mid 13's while the S55 (non-supercharged) ran in the low 14's, despite having the same engine, transmission, and drivetrain, and, oh, yes, a better traction coefficient.

I mean, seriously, if you're trying to argue that removing weight from a car doesn't make it faster, you're a waste of my time. This is well beyond stupid and into moronic.

As for friction: I again state that with the poor weight transfer and thin tires of a stock M3, a 1.7 second 60' time is not possible in that car, on stock tires, in stock form. If you've got proof that it is, and by proof I mean examinable proof, not some claim by some braggart on the web, then present it.

as for powershifting - keeping the right foot down is the easy part - speed of clutch actuation and shifting is another.
Speed and clutch actuation are not what constitutes "powershifting". If you don't know the definition of the word, it's not my problem, friend, but POWERSHIFTING denotes ONLY keeping the throttle fully depressed when shifting. Period. If you misuse words in a debate, don't whine when people pounce on your for your lack of proper usage.

so, you're as fast as anybody else when it comes to shifting. think you are?
Bet you $1000 a race I'm faster than you.

why don't you look up mario andretti's shift abilities (much faster than SMG). i'm sure you can duplicate those..... faster shifting will allow you to get your car closer to redline before shifting. a slow shift will result in bouncing off the limiter. most compensate by shifting at a lower rpm, or end up slowing down by bouncing on the limiter. but obviously you have a natural ability to shift at incredible speeds. I also assume you're a professional driver then. Win any races this year? ....
I assume that you cannot stay on topic? My driving skills are not what's being debated here, anerbe, Mr. Rutter's are. Do you have any proof that Mr. Rutter can shift faster than Mario Andretti, or anyone else for that matter? Have you timed him? Do you have any evidence?

No?

Didn't think so. Which might be why you resort to a red herring argument rather than sticking to what we're debating. So stfu and stay on topic, and if you want to debate intelligently, learn the definition of words before you use them. YOU introduced the term "powershifting" into this discussion, not me. RUTTER claimed to run the 12 second 1/4 mile, not me.

lastly, your 'proof' of him having drag tires is a result of him doing a burnout and 'digitally enhanced' (or should i call them pixelated)
Um, there is nothing enhanced about those photos, you goddamn lying idiot. I did a simple screen capture of Rutter's video, and I invite anyone who thinks otherwise to watch and see for themselves. Here is the link:
http://www.daftproductions.com/video...638_106-34.mpg

pictures of his wheels is not concrete evidence.
IT is evidence that his car was MODIFIED. It is evidence that his car was NOT STOCK. It shows that THE FRONT AND REAR SEATS WERE REMOVED.

I call concrete either an eye witness, or a tech sheet of his drag tires. It's all speculation. You assume based off the facts. Others can disprove you - you have no closeup of the sidewall, or the tread of the tire. Your assumptions would never hold up in court.
Neither will yours, and I am not the one making the claim; you are. You are claiming that he made this run in a stock, unmodified M3.

Do you have any proof that he did so? This video shows the car was modded. Do you have any proof that his car was wearing stock tires? No? It certainly wasn't wearing stock wheels, now was it? So you think he spent a grand or two buying expensive wheels for his car, and stuck the stock Continentals on there? FIne.

Nor can you prove the size of the wheels, or the size of the tires, or the treadwear rating of the tires, or what they are, drag radials or not.

And the burden of proof is not on me here, sir, it is on Rutter. HE made the claim to have run a 12 second 1/4 mile in a STOCK M3. You can't prove it, and YOU'RE the one claiming he did this; I am merely pointing out the inconsistencies in his story, and the obvious mods to the car in that video.

But he has no proof. NO video. Only a timeslip. This is not proof.

You have yet to prove to me anything.
That might be because you're in denial. The video shows what the video shows, and that M3 was clearly modified well beyond what Mr. Rutter claimed in the post in which he released that video. HE claimed his only mod was a pulley.

If you want to keep your stupid head in the sand, then fine, but stop wasting my time.

Last edited by Improviz; 12-22-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=67620

5 12.727 @ 107.42 MPH Lee (Mathews) E46 M3 Bone stock 60': 1.796 Fuel: Pump Rubber: Stock radials: Raceweight: ?
I am aware that RUtter claims that he was bone stock. Unfortunately, a timeslip proves nothing. I can post a pretty timeslip for you, and claim I ran the time, but guess what? Doesn't prove anything.

Get real.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88 Caddy on 28's
Originally Posted by Improviz
I am aware that RUtter claims that he was bone stock. Unfortunately, a timeslip proves nothing. I can post a pretty timeslip for you, and claim I ran the time, but guess what? Doesn't prove anything.

Get real.
Get over it, an M3 can run in the 12's.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Get over it, an M3 can run in the 12's.
This I would agree with. The key word being "can." I have little doubt that an excellent driver, under ideal conditions, can break into the twelves with a stock E46. The same applies to a stock C32 or C55.

Now, if you add just one more word after the "can" so that it reads "can easily run in the 12s," then you are a mindless, nutless, souless, heartless, BMW-pimp ******. And, to be fair, anyone who claims that a stock C32 or 55 "easily" runs in the 12s is the same thing (sub MBZ-pimp for BMW pimp).

That said, the simple reality is that STOCK E46s, C32s, and C55s, with average drivers and average conditions, are mid-13 second vehicles. The average modded C32 is a high-12 second vehicle. That 1/2 second of difference explains the 4-5 carlengths from 40-100 MPH. End of story.

Once again, I would be happy to duplicate it for any doubters. This is now the fourth? time that I have made this offer, with no takers????
Old 12-23-2005, 11:46 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
you're hilarious sir - your personal attacks suggest I hit a soft spot. I only see people act this way when disproven. I understand you feel vulnerable right now. That's ok. I'm not here to bash you. I have no hard feelings against you, even after your last rediculous post. Just trying to clarify that your points/claims/so called "facts" are not end-all. You concluded that M3's in no way run 12's. Stick to your guns!

Your lotus elise - weight is definitely lighter (points for you ), but the traction is also greater than a celica. Why don't you put 175/60 tires with comfort tread on it. I never said reducing weight will not result in faster times. I stated that it's one part of the formula. Most of the time, lighter = faster, but it's not always a direct correlation.

Also, weight has a much less issue at higher speeds. Lighter may mean 'quicker' but not 'faster'. An M3 (with identical 1/4 miles times as a Lotus Elise according to MT mag) will pull hard on the Lotus past 100. Another case where lighter does not necessarily mean faster. There's a lot more in this world than F=MA. In the case of the S55, it's true. You're right, yay! Great. No question there. There are examples where weight can both increase and decrease times. Therefore you're wrong in assuming that less weight will always equal faster car. There are aftermarket tuner cars that are lighter and more powerful, but are slower to 60, 100, etc.... due to traction. I gave you an example in the previous post and this one. Your fact is not longer fact with conflicting examples. Disproven. Move on.

Less weight=faster is a good starting point for estimating the outcome, but it's not always true.

haha, your powershifting reasoning is hilarious. speed of shift and clutch actuation have no bearing on how effective a powershift is? Just keeping the gas planted? :p So just cause you keep the gas planted, you will perform a powershift as effective as the next guy, no matter how you treat the shift? good luck. i brought your driving skill into this, cause you like to bring mine into the thread.

you bet $1000 you're better racer than me, yet your next comment asks me to not bring your driving abilities up? I don't like to drag race people who have been doing it longer than I've been alive.

haha, digitally enhanced could also mean digitally zoomed in. Do you have a digital camera? When the camera zooms past it's mechanical ability, the camera zooms in by digitally enhancing the picture, but with less quality.

All we have are claims. I never said what he did happened, but all you have are claims that the car could never do the times in the given conditions. You claim, I claim. You can wait until he gives all your required evidence, but till then, it's a claim. You claim he didn't do it. Until you provide all your concrete evidence supporting this, your debate relies on assumption.

On this note, I hope the holidays treat you well - try not to get so heated. I'm just trying to provide input to a conversation. If you can't handle it in a civil way, silence is better than attacks. Aren't there any rules against personal attacks on this forum? Haha, don't worry, I'm not here to cry about them. Happy holidays!
Old 12-23-2005, 11:49 AM

haha, oh yeah - his car is not 100% stock. never said it was. happy? no hard feelings, although if you keep calling me an idiot and stupid, one day I might start believing you.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
you're hilarious sir - your personal attacks suggest I hit a soft spot. I only see people act this way when disproven. I understand you feel vulnerable right now. That's ok. I'm not here to bash you. I have no hard feelings against you, even after your last rediculous post. Just trying to clarify that your points/claims/so called "facts" are not end-all. You concluded that M3's in no way run 12's. Stick to your guns!
No, my personal attacks are because I don't appreciate your personal attacks, namely your blatant false claim that I had somehow modified the photos of Rutter's video. And yes, I found this annoying, *and* insulting, and still do, because it is a lie. Which makes you a liar. Those scans were taken directly from the video, and were not modified in any way.

Your lotus elise - weight is definitely lighter (points for you ), but the traction is also greater than a celica. Why don't you put 175/60 tires with comfort tread on it.
I'm beginning to think you really are brain-dead, or are simply being obstinate because you know you're wrong and are too stubborn to admit it. So you think that the tires, and the tires alone, are what makes an Elise faster, eh? Weight has nothing to do with it?

And you ignored the S55 vs. E55 vs. CLK55, of course, because it doesn't support your argument...typical.

And then, after implying that the Celica's tires have a larger effect than the Elise's lighter weight:

I never said reducing weight will not result in faster times. I stated that it's one part of the formula. Most of the time, lighter = faster, but it's not always a direct correlation.
Bull****. Unless you can establish that the traction coefficient in a car 400 pounds lighter is enough to offset its higher weight gain, then I maintain your claim is bull****.

The traction coefficient will not vary by a huge percentage as a result of the lighter weight, certainly not enough to offset the weight savings.

Also, weight has a much less issue at higher speeds.
More bull****. Force = mass*acceleration holds at all speeds, up to and including the speed of light. The fact that aerodynamic drag is higher at higher speeds in no way means that mass is less important. For a supposed ME, you honestly seem quite ignorant of the principles involved in the acceleration of a vehicle.

Lighter may mean 'quicker' but not 'faster'. An M3 (with identical 1/4 miles times as a Lotus Elise according to MT mag) will pull hard on the Lotus past 100.
Yes, because its engine develops nearly double the FORCE, and as aerodynamic drag increases, it takes more FORCE to offset the higher negative component in the FORCE vector introduced by the higher drag. But this is independent of mass, as I'm sure a bright ME like yourself knows.

You are aware that force is a vector, with both negative and positive components, and that the drag force is negative and increases with the square of velocity, right? Because it sure doesn't seem like it given what you're trying to argue here.

Another case where lighter does not necessarily mean faster.
Another false analogy. You're introducing a new variable, drag, into the equation at higher speeds, and this proves nothing about lighter weight/lower mass.

Here's some education for you:

The key difference here is "difference in total power", not weight. You are trying to show the effects of varying *one* quantity, mass, by varying *two* quantities here, mass and force. But a result obtained by varying two quantities cannot be interpreted as being caused only by the variation of one quantity. Since two vehicles of the same mass, frontal areas, gearing, wheels, etc. will produce the same force at the wheels at any given velocity, the thing which will determine acceleration at high speeds (or low speeds) is how much force there is to push the vehicle forward minus how much force there is resisting its forward movement, divided by its mass of course. Drag force does increase with velocity, but this is independent of mass.

If you want to see how mass *only* affects a vehicle's acceleration, you must vary *only* mass. So let's use the hypothetical Benz case again, except in this case rather than calculating a bunch of engine stuff, I'll simply keep engine force constant and vary mass. In this way the direct effects of varying mass with respect to high velocity acceleration in air can be determined. I will use the same calculated drag forces for the C32 from before at 100, 130, and 150 mph.

So let's say that Car A has mass of 2000 kg, Car B has mass of 4000 kg, and Car C has 6000 kg. All other things are equal. Drag forces were calculated previously at 741N at 100 mph, 1253N at 130 mph, and 1781N at 155 mph. Let us further assume for simplicity's sake that these vehicles produce 6000N at the wheels at 100, 5000N at 130, and 4000N at 150, although using the following equations you can simply plug and chug for any values you like; the end results will be the same provided the wheel forces are equal. I will also not be computing the rolling resistance as I am pressed for time, but bear in mind that with the heavier cars as I have shown it will be significantly higher, thus slowing them down even more at higher speeds.

Acceleration at 100 mph:
a(Car A) = (6000N - 741N)/2000kg = 2.63 m/s^2
a(Car B) = (6000N - 741N)/4000kg = 1.31 m/s^2
a(Car C) = (6000N - 741N)/6000kg = 0.88 m/s^2

Acceleration at 130 mph:
a(Car A) = (5000N - 1253N)/2000kg = 1.87 m/s^2
a(Car B) = (5000N - 1253N)/4000kg = 0.94 m/s^2
a(Car C) = (5000N - 1253N)/6000kg = 0.62 m/s^2

Acceleration at 150 mph:
a(Car A) = (4000N - 1781N)/2000kg = 1.14 m/s^2
a(Car B) = (4000N - 1781N)/4000kg = 0.57 m/s^2
a(Car C) = (4000N - 1781N)/6000kg = 0.38 m/s^2

As can be clearly seen: by varying *only* mass, acceleration is still the fastest in the car with the highest force-to-mass ratio. All other things being equal, this will be true at all velocities.

Also note that the relationships of the three accelerations does not vary; at 100 mph, Car B is accelerating at ~50% the rate of Car A, and Car C is accelerating at ~50% the rate of Car B and ~33% the rate of car A. This relationship holds true at both 130 mph and 150 mph, and would hold true at 100,000 mph.

Therefore, mass is shown to be equally important to acceleration at all speeds, all other factors being equal, as acceleration is inversely proportional to mass per Newton's second law.

There's a lot more in this world than F=MA.
As shown above, it holds. If you have something to disprove the calculations, present it. Otherwise, give it up; you're wrong.

haha, your powershifting reasoning is hilarious. speed of shift and clutch actuation have no bearing on how effective a powershift is?
Again: the definition of powershifting is executing a shift without lifting the throttle. You're confusing powershifting with speed-shifting.

Just keeping the gas planted? :p So just cause you keep the gas planted, you will perform a powershift as effective as the next guy, no matter how you treat the shift? good luck. i brought your driving skill into this, cause you like to bring mine into the thread.
No, you brought it in as a red herring. Again, I point out that you the definition of "powershifting" means ONLY shifting with the gas planted. You're talking about speed-shifting AND powershifting. SPEED shifting is shifting at a high rate of speed. POWERSHIFTING is done with the foot flat on the floor.

you bet $1000 you're better racer than me, yet your next comment asks me to not bring your driving abilities up? I don't like to drag race people who have been doing it longer than I've been alive.
So come to Texas and let's do it. My car's an auto, your car's a manual, right? So we'll each do five runs in your car. I'll bet you a grand a race I'm faster, because I'm pretty convinced that you're all talk and have never been to a strip, given that you're idiotic enough to believe that someone can hit a 1.7 60' time in a car with a performance suspension, 333 horsepower, and 255 Continentals on the back.

haha, digitally enhanced could also mean digitally zoomed in. Do you have a digital camera? When the camera zooms past it's mechanical ability, the camera zooms in by digitally enhancing the picture, but with less quality.
Bull****. You were clearly trying to imply that I'd modified the photos to make it look as though his car was modified, probably because you stupidly hadn't watched the video before making your bull**** claim. I again invite anyone who believes otherwise to watch the video.

All we have are claims.
No, that's not all we have. We have dozens of magazine tests from all over the world, including acceleration tests performed by world-record holding drivers like Horst Von Saurma, and yet they fail to match the great Lee Rutter...tell me, what championships has Rutter won? What records does he hold? Why should I believe that he, alone, can do what all of these other highly-skilled drivers cannot manage to replicate?

And on top of this, we also have Rutter making claims that when he ran that 12.7 second video, the only mods he had on his car were pulleys, when it shows that lightweight wheels were added, AND that the front seat and rear seats were removed, and who knows what else....but the point is that he lied; he DID NOT honestly and accurately report the modifications to his vehicle.

And therefore, his credibility is suspect.

Now, as I said before: if you want to believe that, despite what he wrote in his own words versus what the video he provided plainly shows, he is the most honest man on the face of the planet, in addition to being more talented than any test driver who has yet run a stock M3, then fine: to me, this shows extreme gullibility and credulity which is not warranted by the facts.

And you clearly do not like the facts, which are again that HE posted a video, and when asked point-blank what his mods were when he ran the video, he lied.

The burden of proof is not on me, it is on him. And he has not proven that he ran this time in a stock M3, any more than my claiming I ran the time in a stock CLK55 would be "proof", even if I had a couple of beer buddies swear that I did it. If this constitutes an ironclad standard of proof, then UFOs DO exist, people HAVE been abducted and probed by aliens, Elvis IS alive, and the Rev. Sun Myong Moon IS the Messiah.

And dragtimes.com proves it? I mean, please...I can go out, find a slip, post it and claim I ran it in my car, and this proves....drumroll please...absolutely nothing! Timeslips are slips with times on them. They do not identify the vehicle which ran them. They do not identify the state of tune of the vehicle which ran them. They show only that, at some point, some vehicle ran the time on the slip. And so they prove only that, at some point, some vehicle ran the time. And for an extraordinary claim like this, particularly a 1.7' 60' time, I believe that more evidence is needed, particularly given the false claim of only a pulley mod when other mods were plainly visible.

Oh, and now after accusing me of modding photos, you offer an olive branch? Whatever...apologizing for the claim would be a nice start.

Last edited by Improviz; 12-23-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:03 PM

There's a lot more in this world than F=MA.
There isn't if you want to determine the acceleration of something! Its just the Force and mass terms are not as straight forward to determine as people will have you believe, but the equation will still hold.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:19 PM

ALPINA B12 5,7 Coupe #22/57
Wasnt this thread about a modded C32 racing a M3 and beat it with app 5 lengths in a 40 - 100 mph run?

Do I belive that could happen, YES.
Do I belive his story YES, well done.
Could it happen stock for stock, Yes but not likly.

This race took about 8-9 sec, and 5 lengts lead equalls app 0,5 sec lead on the C55. Quite impressive for for such a short race.

Then onto the inteligent dicussion about Lee`s race.

That video does not prove anything, except the time on the display, unless someone would argue that it is faked as well.

It is claimed that the wheels are leighter, the front seat is gone as well as the backseat. Possible but that can not bee judged by this video.

The wheels are leighter because it is not stock, BS. Many of the aftermarked wheels on the marked offered are heavier than stock. Unless someone can tell excactly what wheels he is running, its just a guess.
Front seat is missing, not so sure actually, but maybe. I cant see the seat, but I can see a darker shadow a little behind that could be the seat just tilted back. I have seen a video from inside Lee car, and the camera was mounted in the rear seat and I belive a bit on the right side of the car. To make that work you either had to tilt the seat back ( as I have done several times when camera is in the car) or as is claimed, remove the seat.
400 lbs of weight saving, where does that number come from, its taken from thin air.
To pull 400 lbs of an M3 is not something you just do, it takes a lot of work. Backseat is maybe 30 lbs, proably less and the front seat is maybe 60 lbs.

Cant see how he can be called a liar either, he informed about the pulley.
TO be honest if anyone asked if my car was modded, I would not consider different rims as a modification at all even if leigther rims could give some gains. To me that is mostly cosmetics, exhoust as well, thats just audio experience.

I have not enough experience to judge the possible 60" time, I only know that I did a crappy start, bad wheelhoop broke my rear achsel and still got 2.0 sec 60" time in my E36 M3 that was dynoing 230 Hp at 7400 rpms where it should have 321hp at that time,it was my first ever visit at the 1/4 track with that car, and my 7th run in total.
0,3 diff in the 60" is probably a LOT, but I refuse to belive that I could not have managed a 1,9 with a good start and a healthy engine. Then we miss 0,2 sec. Are you telling me that a really good driver ( lets asume he is) could beat my time with more than a tenths in a 343 Hp E46 M3:

Anyway, I chose to belive this is possible, until I see proof otherwise. Not just speculations and guesses.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:21 PM

No, my personal attacks are because I don't appreciate your personal attacks, namely your blatant false claim that I had somehow modified the photos of Rutter's video. And yes, I found this annoying, *and* insulting, and still do, because it is a lie. Which makes you a liar. Those scans were taken directly from the video, and were not modified in any way.

I'm beginning to think you really are brain-dead, or are simply being obstinate because you know you're wrong and are too stubborn to admit it. So you think that the tires, and the tires alone, are what makes an Elise faster, eh? Weight has nothing to do with it?

And you ignored the S55 vs. E55 vs. CLK55, of course, because it doesn't support your argument...typical.

And then, after implying that the Celica's tires have a larger effect than the Elise's lighter weight:

Bull****. Unless you can establish that the traction coefficient in a car 400 pounds lighter is enough to offset its higher weight gain, then I maintain your claim is bull****.

The traction coefficient will not vary by a huge percentage as a result of the lighter weight, certainly not enough to offset the weight savings.

More bull****. Force = mass*acceleration holds at all speeds, up to and including the speed of light. The fact that aerodynamic drag is higher at higher speeds in no way means that mass is less important. For a supposed ME, you honestly seem quite ignorant of the principles involved in the acceleration of a vehicle.

Yes, because its engine develops nearly double the FORCE, and as aerodynamic drag increases, it takes more FORCE to offset the higher negative component in the FORCE vector introduced by the higher drag. But this is independent of mass, as I'm sure a bright ME like yourself knows.

You are aware that force is a vector, with both negative and positive components, and that the drag force is negative and increases with the square of velocity, right? Because it sure doesn't seem like it given what you're trying to argue here.

Another false analogy. You're introducing a new variable, drag, into the equation at higher speeds, and this proves nothing about lighter weight/lower mass.

Here's some education for you:

The key difference here is "difference in total power", not weight. You are trying to show the effects of varying *one* quantity, mass, by varying *two* quantities here, mass and force. But a result obtained by varying two quantities cannot be interpreted as being caused only by the variation of one quantity. Since two vehicles of the same mass, frontal areas, gearing, wheels, etc. will produce the same force at the wheels at any given velocity, the thing which will determine acceleration at high speeds (or low speeds) is how much force there is to push the vehicle forward minus how much force there is resisting its forward movement, divided by its mass of course. Drag force does increase with velocity, but this is independent of mass.

If you want to see how mass *only* affects a vehicle's acceleration, you must vary *only* mass. So let's use the hypothetical Benz case again, except in this case rather than calculating a bunch of engine stuff, I'll simply keep engine force constant and vary mass. In this way the direct effects of varying mass with respect to high velocity acceleration in air can be determined. I will use the same calculated drag forces for the C32 from before at 100, 130, and 150 mph.

So let's say that Car A has mass of 2000 kg, Car B has mass of 4000 kg, and Car C has 6000 kg. All other things are equal. Drag forces were calculated previously at 741N at 100 mph, 1253N at 130 mph, and 1781N at 155 mph. Let us further assume for simplicity's sake that these vehicles produce 6000N at the wheels at 100, 5000N at 130, and 4000N at 150, although using the following equations you can simply plug and chug for any values you like; the end results will be the same provided the wheel forces are equal. I will also not be computing the rolling resistance as I am pressed for time, but bear in mind that with the heavier cars as I have shown it will be significantly higher, thus slowing them down even more at higher speeds.

Acceleration at 100 mph:
a(Car A) = (6000N - 741N)/2000kg = 2.63 m/s^2
a(Car B) = (6000N - 741N)/4000kg = 1.31 m/s^2
a(Car C) = (6000N - 741N)/6000kg = 0.88 m/s^2

Acceleration at 130 mph:
a(Car A) = (5000N - 1253N)/2000kg = 1.87 m/s^2
a(Car B) = (5000N - 1253N)/4000kg = 0.94 m/s^2
a(Car C) = (5000N - 1253N)/6000kg = 0.62 m/s^2

Acceleration at 150 mph:
a(Car A) = (4000N - 1781N)/2000kg = 1.14 m/s^2
a(Car B) = (4000N - 1781N)/4000kg = 0.57 m/s^2
a(Car C) = (4000N - 1781N)/6000kg = 0.38 m/s^2

As can be clearly seen: by varying *only* mass, acceleration is still the fastest in the car with the highest force-to-mass ratio. All other things being equal, this will be true at all velocities.

Also note that the relationships of the three accelerations does not vary; at 100 mph, Car B is accelerating at ~50% the rate of Car A, and Car C is accelerating at ~50% the rate of Car B and ~33% the rate of car A. This relationship holds true at both 130 mph and 150 mph, and would hold true at 100,000 mph.

Therefore, mass is shown to be equally important to acceleration at all speeds, all other factors being equal, as acceleration is inversely proportional to mass per Newton's second law.

As shown above, it holds. If you have something to disprove the calculations, present it. Otherwise, give it up; you're wrong.

Again: the definition of powershifting is executing a shift without lifting the throttle. You're confusing powershifting with speed-shifting.

No, you brought it in as a red herring. Again, I point out that you the definition of "powershifting" means ONLY shifting with the gas planted. You're talking about speed-shifting AND powershifting. SPEED shifting is shifting at a high rate of speed. POWERSHIFTING is done with the foot flat on the floor.

So come to Texas and let's do it. My car's an auto, your car's a manual, right? So we'll each do five runs in your car. I'll bet you a grand a race I'm faster, because I'm pretty convinced that you're all talk and have never been to a strip, given that you're idiotic enough to believe that someone can hit a 1.7 60' time in a car with a performance suspension, 333 horsepower, and 255 Continentals on the back.

Bull****. You were clearly trying to imply that I'd modified the photos to make it look as though his car was modified, probably because you stupidly hadn't watched the video before making your bull**** claim. I again invite anyone who believes otherwise to watch the video.

No, that's not all we have. We have dozens of magazine tests from all over the world, including acceleration tests performed by world-record holding drivers like Horst Von Saurma, and yet they fail to match the great Lee Rutter...tell me, what championships has Rutter won? What records does he hold? Why should I believe that he, alone, can do what all of these other highly-skilled drivers cannot manage to replicate?

And on top of this, we also have Rutter making claims that when he ran that 12.7 second video, the only mods he had on his car were pulleys, when it shows that lightweight wheels were added, AND that the front seat and rear seats were removed, and who knows what else....but the point is that he lied; he DID NOT honestly and accurately report the modifications to his vehicle.

And therefore, his credibility is suspect.

Now, as I said before: if you want to believe that, despite what he wrote in his own words versus what the video he provided plainly shows, he is the most honest man on the face of the planet, in addition to being more talented than any test driver who has yet run a stock M3, then fine: to me, this shows extreme gullibility and credulity which is not warranted by the facts.

And you clearly do not like the facts, which are again that HE posted a video, and when asked point-blank what his mods were when he ran the video, he lied.

The burden of proof is not on me, it is on him. And he has not proven that he ran this time in a stock M3, any more than my claiming I ran the time in a stock CLK55 would be "proof", even if I had a couple of beer buddies swear that I did it. If this constitutes an ironclad standard of proof, then UFOs DO exist, people HAVE been abducted and probed by aliens, Elvis IS alive, and the Rev. Sun Myong Moon IS the Messiah.

And dragtimes.com proves it? I mean, please...I can go out, find a slip, post it and claim I ran it in my car, and this proves....drumroll please...absolutely nothing! Timeslips are slips with times on them. They do not identify the vehicle which ran them. They do not identify the state of tune of the vehicle which ran them. They show only that, at some point, some vehicle ran the time on the slip. And so they prove only that, at some point, some vehicle ran the time. And for an extraordinary claim like this, particularly a 1.7' 60' time, I believe that more evidence is needed, particularly given the false claim of only a pulley mod when other mods were plainly visible.

Oh, and now after accusing me of modding photos, you offer an olive branch? Whatever...apologizing for the claim would be a nice start.
I believe the reason so many people have the misconception of the effect of mass at speed is that they see that hp/weight will mean two cars have approximately similar performace at "normal" speeds but at higher speeds the heavier car often edges away and think thats its the mass becoming less important, and not the fact that the heavier car having a better Net power /weight. As you know this is the reason why a 100hp 1000lb car will be slower than a 400hp 4000lb car in the end, most people just don't get it so they offer the wrong conclusions as its simpler for them to understand.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88 Caddy on 28's
Originally Posted by Vomit
This I would agree with. The key word being "can." I have little doubt that an excellent driver, under ideal conditions, can break into the twelves with a stock E46. The same applies to a stock C32 or C55.

Now, if you add just one more word after the "can" so that it reads "can easily run in the 12s," then you are a mindless, nutless, souless, heartless, BMW-pimp ******. And, to be fair, anyone who claims that a stock C32 or 55 "easily" runs in the 12s is the same thing (sub MBZ-pimp for BMW pimp).

That said, the simple reality is that STOCK E46s, C32s, and C55s, with average drivers and average conditions, are mid-13 second vehicles. The average modded C32 is a high-12 second vehicle. That 1/2 second of difference explains the 4-5 carlengths from 40-100 MPH. End of story.

Once again, I would be happy to duplicate it for any doubters. This is now the fourth? time that I have made this offer, with no takers????
I agree with this man.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by reggid
I believe the reason so many people have the misconception of the effect of mass at speed is that they see that hp/weight will mean two cars have approximately similar performace at "normal" speeds but at higher speeds the heavier car often edges away and think thats its the mass becoming less important, and not the fact that the heavier car having a better Net power /weight. As you know this is the reason why a 100hp 1000lb car will be slower than a 400hp 4000lb car in the end, most people just don't get it so they offer the wrong conclusions as its simpler for them to understand.
Agree, I once claimed that at high speed Hp/ Weight got relatively lesser important, since the drag are increasing and are getting the main factor as closer one gets to the cars topspeed. IMO a fair statement, allthoug not scientifically accurat.
At certain speed the car with less Hp just does not have enough Hp to overcome the drag and stops acceleration, at that point the car with equall drag, twice the weight and power ( meaning same power to weight ration) has lots left to overcome the drag and continue to accelerate.

This means that on some point on the acceleration curve, the heavy car with more power will accelerate a lot harder than the leighter car with less Hp.
That would also happen even if the heaver car had slightly lower Hp/weight numbers. In this case the point of change would be higher up in the acceleration curve.

Last edited by Erik; 12-23-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by reggid
There isn't if you want to determine the acceleration of something! Its just the Force and mass terms are not as straight forward to determine as people will have you believe, but the equation will still hold.
i never said the equation will not hold - it's never just a direct correlation. if all else remains equal, including drag, traction, etc....of course! but other factors that affect acceleration happen in the real world, including traction.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:36 PM

hey, improviz, lighten up (literally and figuratively )

your long ramble about weight's affect on acceleration (and drag) sway so far from the original topic, it's crazy. all your numbers are great, talking about one car with everything else known and constant except weight. if this is the case, you're 100% correct. but who's debating one car being lightened with all else the same? comparing cars (like this thread originally stated) does not follow your "plug and chug" skills. I simply stated that in comparing cars weight does not affect the outcome nearly as much as drag.

Your numbers are plain rediculous. You're comparing the same exact car with the same exact power, but with weight varying by the ton. i can compare a car by varying it by a few pounds but attach a large flat wall to the front for one value. I assure you drag will have a much greater affect. you can fudge numbers however you want to prove a point. congrats.

speed shifting is part of powershifting. if you can't shift fast, you loose the whole point of powershifting. it's a given!! i originally brought up the point that lee has great powershifting abilities, which include not only keeping the gas down, but having great speed. i'm sure when everybody else (besides you) mentions powershifting, they assume fastest shifting possible. i'm sorry, let me simplify, since you need explaination of everything. Lee gets great times cause when he powershifts, he has GREAT SPEEDSHIFTING abilities. anybody else would also understand this statement, which means the same - lee has great powershifting abilities. great. happy? For Christ sake, I hope so.

You're like a woman - I explained what I meant by digitally enhanced. If you want to keep pissed that I meant something else, then go for it. I have to explain what I say enough to my girl when she misunderstands. I'd hate to do it to a second person.

regarding your p3nis size match, i mean your drag race bet, i'd rather not. I'm into the road track thing. I always thought that the m3 isn't the ideal drag car, thus haven't practiced on the dragway. i still stand by my offer, if you want to fly me out and pay me if i hit 1.7, please do so. I can do it during a weekend in Jan. when it's really cold here. I'd rather not pay, cause it would be a test of my driving abilities, not the car's full potential. I never said i was great at drag racing. Obviously you are a superior driver..............but you don't have a 10' ******* like me. Oh internet feuds......I must say you look like a greek god on this forum.

reggid, your general ideas are right, but what makes the cars different are the Net Power/Drag ratio. The 100hp/1000lb and 400hp/4000lb cars have the same power/weight, but the 400hp car will have a better power/drag ratio thus pulling top end given similar drag between the two cars. accerlation has to do with power/weight as well as power/drag at higher speeds. power/drag has insignificant affect to about 70mph, but will soon swap where differences in drag have a greater affect than mass. Mass is directly proportional to acceleration (1:1) no matter the speed, while Fd is exponentially proportional to acceleration (equation has speed^2). Doubling the speed will quadruple the Fd. this is why a car that is drag limited to 200mph will require @ 70 more lb/ft to add 10 mph top speed, with given constants. Take off 70 lbs from the car will not add 10 mph to this car.

Last edited by anerbe; 12-23-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:13 AM

i never said the equation will not hold - it's never just a direct correlation. if all else remains equal, including drag, traction, etc....of course! but other factors that affect acceleration happen in the real world, including traction.
you obviously don't understand what the "f" and "m" terms are in the equation. If you don't have traction the force is reduced (from the torque x gearing x efficiency / tyre radius) meaning the acceleration is reduced. So NOT all else needs to remain equal! Please name one factor that affects acceleration in the real world that cannot be accounted for in F=MA.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:23 AM

reggid, your general ideas are right, but what makes the cars different are the Net Power/Drag ratio. The 100hp/1000lb and 400hp/4000lb cars have the same power/weight, but the 400hp car will have a better power/drag ratio thus pulling top end given similar drag between the two cars. accerlation has to do with power/weight as well as power/drag at higher speeds. power/drag has insignificant affect to about 70mph, but will soon swap where differences in drag have a greater affect than mass. Mass is directly proportional to acceleration (1:1) no matter the speed, while Fd is exponentially proportional to acceleration (equation has speed^2). Doubling the speed will quadruple the Fd. this is why a car that is drag limited to 200mph will require @ 70 more lb/ft to add 10 mph top speed, with given constants. Take off 70 lbs from the car will not add 10 mph to this car.
Thats what i said in my post and i used the words "Net Power/weight " because thats HP - HP lost due to drag and other losses (i.e. Net HP) divided by the effective mass of the vehicle. Thanks for educating me I think you'll find that people know more than you give them credit for.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
hey, improviz, lighten up (literally and figuratively )

your long ramble about weight's affect on acceleration (and drag) sway so far from the original topic, it's crazy.
I believe that it was you who branched off onto this topic, in a misguided and ultimately false effort to show that the reason a Celica is slower than an Elise, which has the same engine, is not because of weight. You did this after I accurately pointed out that lightening a car makes it faster. To argue against this, you compared the M3 to the Elise and claimed that because the M3 has faster high-speed acceleration, this somehow "proved" that lower mass does not necessarily result in higher acceleration. And you also wrongly claimed that mass is "less important" at high speeds.

But as I showed, you were trying to prove this by varying TWO quantities, both mass (which is lower in the Elise) *AND* force (which is higher in the M3).

My equations were to demonstrate that if you want to see the effects of varying ONLY mass on high-speed acceleration, then you must vary only mass.

Which I did, and thus blew your false claim out of the water.

all your numbers are great, talking about one car with everything else known and constant except weight. if this is the case, you're 100% correct. but who's debating one car being lightened with all else the same? comparing cars (like this thread originally stated) does not follow your "plug and chug" skills. I simply stated that in comparing cars weight does not affect the outcome nearly as much as drag.
False. What affects the outcome is the mass and the force. Drag force is a force. Torque is a force. The net sum of the force vectors divided by the mass of the vehicle determines the acceleration.

Your numbers are plain rediculous. You're comparing the same exact car with the same exact power, but with weight varying by the ton. i can compare a car by varying it by a few pounds but attach a large flat wall to the front for one value. I assure you drag will have a much greater affect. you can fudge numbers however you want to prove a point. congrats.
You really are quite dense, and I fudged nothing....this whole discussion arose as a result of YOUR trying to dismiss the affects of lowering the weight on an M3, wherein you basically were trying to dismiss my claim that Rutter's lowering the weight of his M3 would make it faster. So I presented proof that demonstrated, well, basically that you're full of ****, that if all other factors are equal (which they are in this case; we are talking about ONE M3, after all), then lowering mass has a marked, pronounced, demonstratable effect upon the vehicle's acceleration.

So when confronted with numbers which irrefutably show that you're totally wrong, what do you do? Try to change the argument with some stupid red herring about how attaching a wall to the front of the vehicle will change its Cd, and thus (duh) its drag force.

But to my knowledge, Mr. Rutter did nothing to the front of his M3, and thus this is irrelavent to that which we are discussing, namely the effects of lessening a vehicle's weight upon its accleration.

And clearly, despite your earlier attempts to dismiss it, it has been demonstrated that lowering the mass increases acceleration. This will hold true whether you decrease its weight by 1000 pounds, or 100 pounds.

speed shifting is part of powershifting.
No, it isn't, and you cannot simply arbitrarily redefine words after you've misused them. A powershift can be done as part of a speedshift, but powershifting means only that the throttle is depressed while the shift is executed. Stop beating this dead horse, man...you were wrong.

Lee gets great times cause when he powershifts, he has GREAT SPEEDSHIFTING abilities. anybody else would also understand this statement, which means the same - lee has great powershifting abilities. great. happy? For Christ sake, I hope so.
Speedshifting has absolutely nothing to do with a 1.7 60' time, and it was this which was responsible for the time. If you had ever, ever been to a drag strip, you might realize just how ridiculous it is to believe that someone in a stock M3 on Continentals could pull a 1.7' 60' time.

For a 3400 pound vehicle with 333 max horsepower and its torque peak at 4,900 rpm, to accomplish this would require a launch at 5,000 rpm or so, and the stock 255's would turn into nice little smoking donuts and refuse to grab. Why? Because they simply do not have enough traction, nor does that vehicle with its stiff performance suspension have a fast enough weight transfer, for this amount of energy to be released without the tires massively breaking traction.

People say this can be overcome through slipping the clutch. Bull****. If you slip the clutch, you're still dissipating energy out the wazzo, and ALL of that energy would need to get transferred to move that amount of mass that far that fast, which means the only possible way would be drag radials.

You're like a woman - I explained what I meant by digitally enhanced. If you want to keep pissed that I meant something else, then go for it. I have to explain what I say enough to my girl when she misunderstands. I'd hate to do it to a second person.
Yawn...you were lying, pure and simple, and then tried to wriggle out of it when you finally actually watched the video and saw that the photos were straight out of it. But as is typical, under no circumstances will you admit you were wrong....

regarding your p3nis size match, i mean your drag race bet, i'd rather not. I'm into the road track thing. I always thought that the m3 isn't the ideal drag car, thus haven't practiced on the dragway. i still stand by my offer, if you want to fly me out and pay me if i hit 1.7, please do so. I can do it during a weekend in Jan. when it's really cold here. I'd rather not pay, cause it would be a test of my driving abilities, not the car's full potential. I never said i was great at drag racing. Obviously you are a superior driver..............but you don't have a 10' ******* like me. Oh internet feuds......I must say you look like a greek god on this forum.
Yawn...more bull****.....

Mass is directly proportional to acceleration (1:1) no matter the speed
BUZZ!!! Wrong, Einstein. Directly proportional means that if one quantity increases, the second quantity increases. But if mass increases, acceleration will decrease, meaning that they are inversely proportional.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Erik
Anyway, I chose to belive this is possible, until I see proof otherwise. Not just speculations and guesses.
So what else is new? If someone were here arguing that they'd driven an M3 up the Empire State Building, you'd be in the thread defending them.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:59 AM

So what else is new? If someone were here arguing that they'd driven an M3 up the Empire State Building, you'd be in the thread defending them.
Offcourse I will
Old 12-25-2005, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
It's Christmas. Let's each give the other side a present. Here's mine:

The fact that BMW manages, with a three-something-litre 6 cylinder, to even compete with a same-sized S/C motor (C32) or a monster V-8 (C55) is pretty impressive. Sure, they occasionally explode (couldn't help myself ), but the M3 powerplant engineering is still very impressive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: had fun with an M3 tonight