Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

raced a modded WRX STI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32R
raced a modded WRX STI

decided to post my race from a few weeks ago.... I was on my way home from a friends house late one friday night, and it passes up Firebird Raceyway here in Phoenix Az. Well an 04-05 WRX STI pulled out right behind me and was having a little fun after a night of racing at the track. We both turned onto the freeway and I was going along at about 75, he pulled up next to me and gave it a little gun then slowed back down to pace me, I looked at my wife and said "it will be real quick", so I stomped it just after he had shifted down so we kicked it right at the same time, we took it up to about 110, and I was about 1/2 in front of him. I slowed down since we were coming up to some traffic... Anyways the race went like this: we both got on it, I stated to creep ahead, then when my car shifted he would stay even with me, then after about 2-3 seconds my car would start to pull on him again....I know he was modded because he had a HUGE exhaust... But I am putting down somewhere in the vicinity of 340rwhp, so I know he had to have down more than just an exhaust, probably an ECU upgrade possibly a larger turbo etc... ( I saw he had a ton of guages and he had stickers on his door, license plate read "QUIKSTI"
We had one more run, and it went from 80mph up to 135!!! there was about 3 miles of 4 lanes with no traffic so we went one more time, again same scenerio, we started at the same time and I pulled out in front, I would pull ahead and each time I shifted he would stay even with me on speed, then once the s/c had a chance to kick in I would pull ahead.. by the time we hit 135 I was about 2-3 cars in front of him... what was nice is the car felt very nice and stable the whole time... Oh and I was also carrying about 150lbs of paint and painting materials in the trunk..
Old 04-08-2006, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Nice runs. I have raced a couple which I believe were stock, without much problem. However, it's hard to tell what mods the STis and the Evos have. They can sound nasty with just a fart can, but without any real HP gains. Obviously, the one you ran had something other than just a big anus. I would guess downpipe, reflash, and maybe a turbo upgrade. He was probably shocked that you pulled him.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Vomit
Nice runs. I have raced a couple which I believe were stock, without much problem. However, it's hard to tell what mods the STis and the Evos have. They can sound nasty with just a fart can, but without any real HP gains. Obviously, the one you ran had something other than just a big anus. I would guess downpipe, reflash, and maybe a turbo upgrade. He was probably shocked that you pulled him.

LOL wow seems the stories are coming now. An exhaust without reflash will net about 15-20 more hp. But a turbo upgrade is not something to be taken lightly. When my setup is in and dynoed I will post up a plot.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:14 AM

02 C32R
Originally Posted by v8killer2pt5
An exhaust without reflash will net about 15-20 more hp. But a turbo upgrade is not something to be taken lightly
he had to have more than just an exhaust, I have a hair more than 400hp and close that that in tq, which equates to 340-360whp depending on dyno etc... A stock STI has 300hp crank to start, and less whp.. Just an exhaust is not going to let it keep up with me, had to have more than that...
Old 04-08-2006, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
LOL wow seems the stories are coming now. An exhaust without reflash will net about 15-20 more hp. But a turbo upgrade is not something to be taken lightly. When my setup is in and dynoed I will post up a plot.
Actually, if you read back through the kills, you will see that there have been alot of C32/STi matchups. I have raced both Evos and STis from a roll, presumably stock, without much drama. I have raced a light-to-medium-mod STi (downpipe, reflash and a couple of other little things that I can't remember, but no turbo upgrade) at the drag strip and it was pretty close (he pulled out of the hole, and I barely caught him at the end).

Hey V8Killer, how much can one expect to spend on engine mods to bring a Subie into the high 11 second range? Also, I have heard that it is somehow smarter to mod the non-STi WRX than to mod the STi. Is this true?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Dead Ringer
he had to have more than just an exhaust, I have a hair more than 400hp and close that that in tq, which equates to 340-360whp depending on dyno etc... A stock STI has 300hp crank to start, and less whp.. Just an exhaust is not going to let it keep up with me, had to have more than that...
Oh I was'nt implying that an exhaust would be different, quite the opposite. I think I mentioned either in this or another that 300 crank = 230-250 on stock Sti's.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Add some stickers, and you'll be set.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Actually, if you read back through the kills, you will see that there have been alot of C32/STi matchups. I have raced both Evos and STis from a roll, presumably stock, without much drama. I have raced a light-to-medium-mod STi (downpipe, reflash and a couple of other little things that I can't remember, but no turbo upgrade) at the drag strip and it was pretty close (he pulled out of the hole, and I barely caught him at the end).

Hey V8Killer, how much can one expect to spend on engine mods to bring a Subie into the high 11 second range? Also, I have heard that it is somehow smarter to mod the non-STi WRX than to mod the STi. Is this true?
Funny you mentioned the 11 sec 1/4 since that's where my goal is. Whoever said that modding a Wrx is a better platform than a Sti is out of their gourd. Your starting with a smaller block 2.0, not built to handle the power that comes with serious modding. Also a weaker tranny and brake system not to go into suspension. A lot of debate has been gone through on the Suby forums but the cost alone to match the Sti with a Wrx is well past the stock price difference.
Now onto the 11 sec build, my current Stg 2 people have dipped into high 12's. That's with 300 or a bit more at the wheels. Now onto building a 11 sec Suby, here's my current build. Fp green turbo with all lines 1450.00, bigger tmic 550.00, walbro fp 100.00 installed, injectors 850cc 560.00, bellmouth dp 240.00 and 3 inch cat back 550.00- Also EM is 650 tuned, so that's the basics covered! That will yield on moderate boost 380 hp to 400, but with just a bit more 450 is quite in reach. But now guys are doing things that we did not think were possible using methanol injection on a stock turbo recently someone put down over >400 hp:zoom< this is wrong it's 340awhp and 415 lbs torque on meth! I won't sugar coat my build, me being the **** retentive person that I am with all my cars I have thrown in a few more things to get as much reliability and power that I can squeeze. I am also going to use a methanol/water mix - 50/50 injection system. This way I can run more boost safely and cooler. This will be in conjunction with my tuning ramping up injection pulse with boost. I won't guestimate power but it should be considerable

Last edited by v8killer2pt5; 04-08-2006 at 10:12 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-08-2006, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
man... those mods are cheap compared to our mods..

we have to pay atleast double of that just to get 50 to 70 RWHP.

as mentioned on the other thread... we need a better IC for our car.

EvoSport is protyping one that yields about 400+RWHP, but its still not ready.

We have the boost already (we pushing 12lbs stock) and about 14 to 15lbs with pullies and ECU.

The 3.2 L is solid

the tranny can take upto 800+lbs of torque.. SOLID!

we just can't keep the temps down!
Old 04-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by TopGun32
man... those mods are cheap compared to our mods..

we have to pay atleast double of that just to get 50 to 70 RWHP.

as mentioned on the other thread... we need a better IC for our car.

EvoSport is protyping one that yields about 400+RWHP, but its still not ready.

We have the boost already (we pushing 12lbs stock) and about 14 to 15lbs with pullies and ECU.

The 3.2 L is solid

the tranny can take upto 800+lbs of torque.. SOLID!

we just can't keep the temps down!

Which temps engine or tranny? B&M makes a variety of oil coolers I would definitely look into that, all you would need is a sandwich adaptor for your oil filter or on the down side tap your oil pan. Well from 245awhp to 285 plus awhp was very cheap a used DP I got for 50.00 and reflash / tuning = 650.00. For the current build I have contacts from my marketing background so I never pay retail. But parts are not expensive coming from a Range Rover lol, where I paid 500 for 3 hoses. I of course did not just go with basics, add to that list turbo inlet tube, up graded recirc kit bov since the stock can't hold over 20 psi, ebc with low and high boost settings, etc. The injection kit I went with the ***** out stg 3 kit. I think that any high end car parts carries a premium that the aftermarket hones in on. They know the owners have the resources and they market the products and pricing to that. I do most of my own wrenching and love to see the results.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by amgdriven
Add some stickers, and you'll be set.

LOL us love our decals here's my car >http://www.cardomain.com/ride/514536

I have to update once the current build is done and I have more dyno plots.....rice power!!!! LOL some of you guys are hilarious
Old 04-09-2006, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Funny you mentioned the 11 sec 1/4 since that's where my goal is. Whoever said that modding a Wrx is a better platform than a Sti is out of their gourd. Your starting with a smaller block 2.0, not built to handle the power that comes with serious modding. Also a weaker tranny and brake system not to go into suspension. A lot of debate has been gone through on the Suby forums but the cost alone to match the Sti with a Wrx is well past the stock price difference.
Now onto the 11 sec build, my current Stg 2 people have dipped into high 12's. That's with 300 or a bit more at the wheels. Now onto building a 11 sec Suby, here's my current build. Fp green turbo with all lines 1450.00, bigger tmic 550.00, walbro fp 100.00 installed, injectors 850cc 560.00, bellmouth dp 240.00 and 3 inch cat back 550.00- Also EM is 650 tuned, so that's the basics covered! That will yield on moderate boost 380 hp to 400, but with just a bit more 450 is quite in reach. But now guys are doing things that we did not think were possible using methanol injection on a stock turbo recently someone put down over >400 hp:zoom< this is wrong it's 340awhp and 415 lbs torque on meth! I won't sugar coat my build, me being the **** retentive person that I am with all my cars I have thrown in a few more things to get as much reliability and power that I can squeeze. I am also going to use a methanol/water mix - 50/50 injection system. This way I can run more boost safely and cooler. This will be in conjunction with my tuning ramping up injection pulse with boost. I won't guestimate power but it should be considerable

Great info, thanks. Can one expect to use an 11 second STi as a daily driver, or is that unrealistic? How does modding the Evo compare to modding the STi? I am toying with the idea of either of those two, or an A4 2.0T to mod the crap out of. Any thoughts?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Which temps engine or tranny? B&M makes a variety of oil coolers I would definitely look into that, all you would need is a sandwich adaptor for your oil filter or on the down side tap your oil pan. Well from 245awhp to 285 plus awhp was very cheap a used DP I got for 50.00 and reflash / tuning = 650.00. For the current build I have contacts from my marketing background so I never pay retail. But parts are not expensive coming from a Range Rover lol, where I paid 500 for 3 hoses. I of course did not just go with basics, add to that list turbo inlet tube, up graded recirc kit bov since the stock can't hold over 20 psi, ebc with low and high boost settings, etc. The injection kit I went with the ***** out stg 3 kit. I think that any high end car parts carries a premium that the aftermarket hones in on. They know the owners have the resources and they market the products and pricing to that. I do most of my own wrenching and love to see the results.
The C32 temperature problem is actually mainly related to the S/C, both as to the intake air temps and the overheating of the S/C itself. Evosport attempts to compensate for the added boost/added temps resulting from their pulley mod by using the wiper fluid reservoir as an intercooler reservoir (a creative, if somewhat strange, solution), but the temps are still an issue. Add to this the fact that the I/C pump on the C32 is about as unreliable as they come, and you see the problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Almost a Member!

The C32 temperature problem is actually mainly related to the S/C, both as to the intake air temps and the overheating of the S/C itself. Evosport attempts to compensate for the added boost/added temps resulting from their pulley mod by using the wiper fluid reservoir as an intercooler reservoir (a creative, if somewhat strange, solution), but the temps are still an issue. Add to this the fact that the I/C pump on the C32 is about as unreliable as they come, and you see the problem.

Ok judging by your comments I am assuming the C32 is aftercooled with a air water exchanger. If so wow I can't believe that heat is a problem since that's a pretty effective way of cooling temps. I guess either a more effective IC is needed with a updated pump or might try my route > water, alchy or meth injection. You can set it to come on at a certain psi and to ramp up as boost rises.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Almost a Member!

Great info, thanks. Can one expect to use an 11 second STi as a daily driver, or is that unrealistic? How does modding the Evo compare to modding the STi? I am toying with the idea of either of those two, or an A4 2.0T to mod the crap out of. Any thoughts?

In all honesty get the newest Evo, they have worked out some of the issues of the 03. Such as tranny and some minor issues plus the newest version has a larger exhaust housing so power from mods comes easier. Moreover the Evo "engine" has been around longer and they have a stronger aftermarket. AMS specializes in Evo's and they have a few monsters "customer cars" whooping on 600 rwhp Cobra's, Z06's and even a SC'ed Viper Srt10. You can do a search on streetfire.net for the Evo movie or Ams and you will see what they are capable of. Yes the Sti is a better daily driver due to the bigger displacement no need to rev as high and alot more torque. Believe it or not my setup will work well as a daily since the Fp Green is no where as big as what alot of our guys are using>Garrett gt 35R turbo's, Fp red's etc. You can do a search and see what those are capable of.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Banned

w210 E55
LOL us love our decals here's my car >http://www.cardomain.com/ride/514536

I have to update once the current build is done and I have more dyno plots.....rice power!!!! LOL some of you guys are hilarious
Um...you're the troll on a MB FORUM defending the "rice power". Congradulations, you polished a turd. If you want something hilarious....hold your breath untill you gain respect driving that um....vehicle.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:41 PM

Um...you're the troll on a MB FORUM defending the "rice power". Congradulations, you polished a turd. If you want something hilarious....hold your breath untill you gain respect driving that um....vehicle.
no need to be a ****. i love how you feel the need to drive a mb to get respect.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Reborn
no need to be a ****. i love how you feel the need to drive a mb to get respect.

It's ok I don't pay people that have nothing to contribute any mind. It just brings nothing to any car forum and makes you look well like a ricer. I have owned a few high end vehicles and while they have all the feature comforts etc, they are very needy when it comes to maintenance. Due to all the systems they have, there's alot more going on.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
IC pump is awful..

the size of our IC is not adequate.. (55k and 32k motors share the same IC)

the air/water intercooeler system is not able to handle additional power and keep the temps down.

they made the engine and tranny to handle the LORD's power, but not the cooling system.

Go to the C32/C55 forum and we have a thread started on this issue. You might be able to shed some additional light since you have knowledge of boosted engines.

the thread is called" Definitive testing for inter-cooler pump and MAP? "
Old 04-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Originally Posted by Reborn
Well rebirth, this is after all an MERCEDES forum. You know...MBWORLD. Not meaning to offend anyone....okay, I'm lying. But, if you come to this forum without...lets say...a MERCEDES and add NO knowledge to the subject, but an excuse of how your non-benz is faster than the pos mentioned, well, find another forum. That, like yourself is what we call a TROLL. Nothing to contribute but ****. Simple. This is a forum where we like and appreciate what we drive....and like to talk about it. Lets call it a brotherhood.

Do I need a E55 to gain respect? No. But when my grandpa looking, yacht floating, gas guzzling, feels like I'm driving a couch, 4-dr tank kicks a ricer's a**, it brings a smile to my already stressfull day.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:32 PM

02 C32R
But when my grandpa looking, yacht floating, gas guzzling, feels like I'm driving a couch, 4-dr tank kicks a ricer's a**, it brings a smile to my already stressfull day.
poetry at it finest!! that mad me laugh..
Old 04-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by TopGun32
IC pump is awful..

the size of our IC is not adequate.. (55k and 32k motors share the same IC)

the air/water intercooeler system is not able to handle additional power and keep the temps down.

they made the engine and tranny to handle the LORD's power, but not the cooling system.

Go to the C32/C55 forum and we have a thread started on this issue. You might be able to shed some additional light since you have knowledge of boosted engines.

the thread is called" Definitive testing for inter-cooler pump and MAP? "
I will check in there but I honestly believe that some type of injection system will alleviate this issue. Either water, alky or methanol, all of these have proven to be of great help to running cooler and making more power with alot of knock resistance!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:41 PM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
So much hate for japanese imports from Euro owners it's not even funny. Sure there are a lot of "ricers" out there sporting hot decals and neons claiming to be fast but you'd be surprised to find that there's actually a lot of serious cars out there amongst evos, stis, and whatever import you want to throw in. I like my e55 just fine but if it comes to a car I want to DRIVE that is faster, stops better, and turns like how a track car turns....I turn to my evo. The guy's talking about methanol injection (although in my opinion that's more trouble than it's worth) and there's not point in constantly bashing him just because he doesn't have a mercedes. To each his own, a lot of people like to surf other car forums to gain some perspective.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by tama_mog
So much hate for japanese imports from Euro owners it's not even funny. Sure there are a lot of "ricers" out there sporting hot decals and neons claiming to be fast but you'd be surprised to find that there's actually a lot of serious cars out there amongst evos, stis, and whatever import you want to throw in. I like my e55 just fine but if it comes to a car I want to DRIVE that is faster, stops better, and turns like how a track car turns....I turn to my evo. The guy's talking about methanol injection (although in my opinion that's more trouble than it's worth) and there's not point in constantly bashing him just because he doesn't have a mercedes. To each his own, a lot of people like to surf other car forums to gain some perspective.

LOl thanks for the vote, I actually have the money to step into a Benz but my priorities change and after another real estate purchase I have my heart set on a new Z06 go figure. Believe it or not I was apprehensive on the injection systems but they are easy to install very safe and the benefits are amazing. A stg 3 kit cost about 500 and that includes the nozzle, lines, controllers, fail safe systems, arming and warning cues, plus the reservoir. Takes about 40 mins to install and you just need to tune for the setup. Since you have an Evo do a search for Snow performance or SMC, you will be impressed!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:27 PM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
There's nothing I haven't looked into on the evo....I decided to not go with injection kits because the safety precautions don't cater to my likings....besides I don't seem to mind 425whp on california **** gas and run 560-570whp on vp110....car's plenty fast enough with AWD. Aquamist is really the way to go to incorporate with AEM EMS when it comes to controlling injection....the SMC kits are cheap but can fail over time and last thing you want to do is having a clogged jet while pushin 30psi on a large turbo.

This is my car:

http://www.orlandorojas.com/forsale/perfectevo/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: raced a modded WRX STI