Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

C55 vs. M3 comp.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
C55 vs. M3 comp.

Rolled up to a new M3 comp. at a light with a friend riding shotgun and one in the rear seat. The guy in the M3 was alone. We asked if he wanted to race, and he gave the nod. When the light turned green we stepped on it (with traction control on) and took off. We slowly pulled away from the M3 and had about a car and a half by about 90 mph at which point we shut it down due to traffic. Gave him the thumbs up for a good race in relatively safe conditions. We were all surprised at how well the C55 performed being stock and with extra weight. The M3 also had an Eisenhaus exhaust but I'm not sure what other mods he may have had if any. Later in the day we also defeated a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII pretty handily.

Other kills:
'98 Corvette C5 (freeway) <----- Closest race so far
90s (993) 911 Carrera (freeway)
S55 AMG (street)
'04 Infinity G35 (modified) (street)
'04 Nissan 350Z (modified) (street)
300ZX TT (modified) (freeway)
Honda S2000 (modified) (street)
Lotus Elise (street)
Old 04-09-2006, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by chucknorris
Rolled up to a new M3 comp. at a light with a friend riding shotgun and one in the rear seat. The guy in the M3 was alone. We asked if he wanted to race, and he gave the nod. When the light turned green we stepped on it (with traction control on) and took off. We slowly pulled away from the M3 and had about a car and a half by about 90 mph at which point we shut it down due to traffic. Gave him the thumbs up for a good race in relatively safe conditions. We were all surprised at how well the C55 performed being stock and with extra weight. The M3 also had an Eisenhaus exhaust but I'm not sure what other mods he may have had if any. Later in the day we also defeated a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII pretty handily.

Other kills:
'98 Corvette C5 (freeway) <----- Closest race so far
90s (993) 911 Carrera (freeway)
S55 AMG (street)
'04 Infinity G35 (modified) (street)
'04 Nissan 350Z (modified) (street)
300ZX TT (modified) (freeway)
Honda S2000 (modified) (street)
Lotus Elise (street)
E46? If so, your friends must be midget, anorexic quads, and Fattt Basstarrdd must've been piloting the M3.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Welcome brother. Good Kill. *******g awesome member name + picture!
Old 04-09-2006, 06:05 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by Vomit
E46? If so, your friends must be midget, anorexic quads, and Fattt Basstarrdd must've been piloting the M3.
Actually I weigh about 145, my buddy in the back weighs about 130 or so and the guy riding shotgun weighs about 160. The driver of the M3 was a medium build asian guy maybe 150-160 max. Yes it was an E46. This story is no exaggeration, either. He actually jumped the gun slightly and had about a half car length lead off the line just before it turned green. We pulled ahead slowly but steadily to a maximum of a car and a half. The C55 is fully loaded and bone stock. I plan on getting an ECU and intake, maybe more mods once I lose to someone... so far I haven't had that opportunity. Maybe a CTS-V or GTO will do me in. Haven't had the opportunity to line up with either.

Thanks amgdriven! The driver of the M3 didn't know what hit him... he quickly learned the true power of the lightning-fast roundhouse. Sadly, he ultimately succumbed to his injuries...

Last edited by chucknorris; 04-09-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:09 PM

W208 CLK55K, GTR, RS5
Chuck Norris is ummm ghey...
Old 04-10-2006, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
M3 driver was not a very good one...

either way it comes down to the driver for these types of races.

however the trap speed of a C55 is always been higher, meaning on the highway, C55 will always win (stock vs stock)

from a dig... with a good driver on a M3 comp... I take my chances on the M3

have you seen their rear tire set up? compared to our 8.5 / 245's..

but either way.. good kill and keep on representin'!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Actually I weigh about 145, my buddy in the back weighs about 130 or so and the guy riding shotgun weighs about 160. The driver of the M3 was a medium build asian guy maybe 150-160 max. Yes it was an E46. This story is no exaggeration, either. He actually jumped the gun slightly and had about a half car length lead off the line just before it turned green. We pulled ahead slowly but steadily to a maximum of a car and a half. The C55 is fully loaded and bone stock. I plan on getting an ECU and intake, maybe more mods once I lose to someone... so far I haven't had that opportunity. Maybe a CTS-V or GTO will do me in. Haven't had the opportunity to line up with either.

Thanks amgdriven! The driver of the M3 didn't know what hit him... he quickly learned the true power of the lightning-fast roundhouse. Sadly, he ultimately succumbed to his injuries...
Of course the 300 extra pounds are significant (probably good for .3 in the 1/4 mile), but you got the kill, and that is what matters. Just think how you would have pulled him if the passenger situation had been reversed (3 in the M and you alone)!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Good kill, i 've killed M3's & a previous year M5 in my deceased C55. I'm not sure why some folks here don't believe that you killed an M3.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Count me in also.... beat E46 M3's (in high speed.... not from a dig to ~40mph, though) in both C & E.... 55's rulez both stock.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by 55 ON IT
Chuck Norris is ummm ghey...
Old 04-11-2006, 05:33 AM

AMG
In any case it was an exciting race under pretty much ideal conditions (sunny, dry and open road). It is the first M3 I have raced, and this pretty much eliminates the doubt for me about which car is faster in a straight line (stock vs. stock). Magazine stats and some videos I have seen give the M3 an initial advantage up to about 60 mph or so, but at higher speeds it seems that the C55 pulls away. The E46 M3 has always been a favorite of mine, but after having test driven both cars, the C55 wins in terms of luxury, fit and finish/build quality and just being less common. I knew the C55 was fast, but I didn't realize I'd be going head to head with some supercars.

The $30K Kleeman supercharger is so tempting...
Old 04-11-2006, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In any case it was an exciting race under pretty much ideal conditions (sunny, dry and open road). It is the first M3 I have raced, and this pretty much eliminates the doubt for me about which car is faster in a straight line (stock vs. stock). Magazine stats and some videos I have seen give the M3 an initial advantage up to about 60 mph or so, but at higher speeds it seems that the C55 pulls away. The E46 M3 has always been a favorite of mine, but after having test driven both cars, the C55 wins in terms of luxury, fit and finish/build quality and just being less common. I knew the C55 was fast, but I didn't realize I'd be going head to head with some supercars.

actually its more like $10k +...

for $30k more I would ask for a C230
Old 04-11-2006, 02:09 PM

02 C32R
$30k, what you smokin?? For that you could sell your C55, get an E55 and not need the supercharger.... and yes I know you had the price wrong....

Anyways nice kill, always good to read about the E46 M3 going down!! (even if I do think they are great cars!)....
Old 04-11-2006, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Good kill.

The M3 is overrated in its power department. It lacks the low-end torque necessary to beat the C55.

The M3's high compression V6 just doesn't seem to have the ***** to keep up.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
Good kill.

The M3 is overrated in its power department. It lacks the low-end torque necessary to beat the C55.

The M3's high compression V6 just doesn't seem to have the ***** to keep up.

I personally think its a great power plant... its been around almost 5 years. Meaning that its old news, but still powerful.

I could never understand how BMW always have less HP and torque and still deliver respectable numbers.

M3 is not beast, but its really good overall. I would love to own one, if I had an E55 AMG for my daily commute and the M3 as my week-end car.

many of our members have such cars in their stable... for the same reasons.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:42 PM

A Beater
Nice kill.. Though I think it would be more exciting if you were by yourself and dragging a real enthusiast that goes all out in a M3. I really think the race will be dead even, if not with the M3 comes out ahead. Now the race would be even more exciting if you throw in some tight turns and curves like Angel Crest in Los Angeles.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by XPRO.US
Nice kill.. Though I think it would be more exciting if you were by yourself and dragging a real enthusiast that goes all out in a M3. I really think the race will be dead even, if not with the M3 comes out ahead. Now the race would be even more exciting if you throw in some tight turns and curves like Angel Crest in Los Angeles.
Angeles Crest Highway=Good Place for Wannabe Racers to Die

Very dangerous highway. . . if you race there, be careful.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:52 PM

A Beater
I think pomona race tracks is safe, no?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:05 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by XPRO.US
Having raced several M3s so far, I am convinced that stock vs. stock the C55 is a faster car... especially at higher speeds. Racing on a circuit is a different story. M3s have a much larger aftermarket selection when it comes to suspension. As for power modifications, I am pretty set on getting the Kleeman supercharger in the near future.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:20 PM

//WALD C320 Magnifique [sold], BMW Z4 3.0i 6spd[sold]
WTF?!?!?!

3.2L V6 vs 5.5L V8??

And yet M3 still could catch up?? Big thumbs up for M3's..

Yea and the M3 driver was a noob, have you guys seen the video M3 vs C55? By one of our member here if im not mistaken. big WOW for the M3. And as for the price you cant go wrong.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:45 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by SEXSPHERE
WTF?!?!?!

3.2L V6 vs 5.5L V8??

And yet M3 still could catch up?? Big thumbs up for M3's..

Yea and the M3 driver was a noob, have you guys seen the video M3 vs C55? By one of our member here if im not mistaken. big WOW for the M3. And as for the price you cant go wrong.
Hey guy, the M3 doesn't come with a V6... it's an I6, and are you talking about this video?

http://iiilgsrlll.com/video/c55_m3_evo9mr.wmv

Because if you are, then you're just helping to make my point.

Before the race, my buddy was able to take these pictures with his cell, and judging from his racing helmet I seriously doubt the driver was a noob.

IMG_0242.JPG

Here's another angle:

IMG_0243.JPG

Oh yeah, and when did I say that the M3 caught up? That's because it never did. Nothing you wrote makes any sense. Maybe it's the language barrier because you are a Canadian.

Last edited by chucknorris; 05-07-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
The BMW motors tend to be more sportier and perform better in the higher rpm ranges. But they are making efforts to improve lower end response. Lets see what the new M3 V8 will do.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
As an engine, the E46 M3's 3.2L I6 is an amazing piece of engineering. Being able to squeeze 333HP (343HP in Europe) from a relatively small naturally aspirated engine is a great feat (>100HP per litre). It generates its power at higher rpm's but it is relatively low on torque. But if driven properly (by lauching at high rpm's and shifting skillfully to keep the revs up), it can keep up with the C55. It's a driver's race, but I think that on average, the C55 will probably win more frequently.

The C55's naturally aspirated 5.4L V8 is not as impressive as the M3's 3.2L I6. The C55 generates its power the old fashioned way, by using large displacement. Because of its large displacement, it is a torque monster and the power is accessible in the low-mid rpm range. It is a more relaxing and easier car to drive fast because the engine doesn't have to rev so high to get the acceleration. The C55 and M3 are very similar in their performance (both in a straight line AND ON THE TRACK WITH CURVES), but the cars feel very different subjectively for the driver.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:31 AM

A Beater
Now a M3 with Dinan super charger is a different story... I wish my C55 is a 6 speed manual transmission..
Old 05-16-2006, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
As an engine, the E46 M3's 3.2L I6 is an amazing piece of engineering. Being able to squeeze 333HP (343HP in Europe) from a relatively small naturally aspirated engine is a great feat (>100HP per litre). It generates its power at higher rpm's but it is relatively low on torque. But if driven properly (by lauching at high rpm's and shifting skillfully to keep the revs up), it can keep up with the C55. It's a driver's race, but I think that on average, the C55 will probably win more frequently.

The C55's naturally aspirated 5.4L V8 is not as impressive as the M3's 3.2L I6. The C55 generates its power the old fashioned way, by using large displacement. Because of its large displacement, it is a torque monster and the power is accessible in the low-mid rpm range. It is a more relaxing and easier car to drive fast because the engine doesn't have to rev so high to get the acceleration. The C55 and M3 are very similar in their performance (both in a straight line AND ON THE TRACK WITH CURVES), but the cars feel very different subjectively for the driver.

Well said.

Give credit where it's due. The M3 I6 is a very admirable piece of engineering and so is the car as a whole. The BMW engine in the McLaren F1 is another naturally aspirated engine delivering >100HP per liter. Amazing, especially considering how long ago that was.

I think many of us here are car enthusiasts first, German car enthusiasts second and then MB enthusiasts, which IMHO is how it should be.

To give credit where it's also due, good kill story! Given the matchup, it is probably safe to say you are the better driver of the two
There was another thread I was reading where an E55 driver, by dint of superior skill, killed 2 996's on a track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C55 vs. M3 comp.