Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

The NSX that couldn't

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mymbonline
Originally Posted by Jesseliu
You should go test drive a manual 997. The new manual in the 997 is amazing.
will do
Old 08-06-2006, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by RedMongoosE
OH, but i will say, that the newer ones that are 90K are not worth it (same thing with the R129 SLs) when you can get a used one for 30K and its bassicly the same thing. so if i had 80K to spend on a sports car, i would not get a new NSX, i would get a 1995-1996

I'd try to find a 1997 and up NSX...the 3.2L V6 was introduced with the 97 model, with 290 hp instead of the 270. Not sure about tq, but that was bumped up as well.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
I have to disagree with that.. I think the NSX falls into the same category as the porsche Boxster.... Its a slow excuse for a sports car.

E30 M3 > first NSX dollar for dollar. and only a slight difference in 0-60 times M3 0-60 around 6.5s vs the NSX in 91 0-60 5.7

E36 M3 > NSX M3 0-60 5.3-5.5 NSX for 2002 could only manage a 5.7 second it didnt go faster until later when they added a bigger motor which still produces less hp/liter than the M3's

E46 M3> NSX M3 0-60 4.8 seconds NSX last year of production finally hit 5s second but still cant beat an M3.

All of the bmws I have listed are almost half the cost of the NSX and with the exception of the E30 M3 both the E36 and E46 could out drag or stay even with the NSX compared to same year production. Also notice the HP/liter on the BMW is much higher than the NSX...
You appear to be confusing the term "muscle car" with the term "sports car"

I can mod a Suzuki Samurai to run a 10 second 1/4 mile. It will never be a sports car.

Drive a Honda 2000 and a 300C SRT-8 back-to-back. The 300 will smoke it in a drag race, but this does not change the fact that the 2000 is a consumate sports car, and the 300 is not.

Granted, the term "sports car" is rather poorly defined, and there are a lot of crossovers ("sports coupes" "sports sedans" and "sports utility vehicles", for example). The M3 is precisely one such crossover. The M3 is an excellent "sports coupe." The M3 is so good that it manages to compete with the purebred sports cars even though the M3 was designed with a dose of practicality (i.e., a back seat and somewhat compliant suspension). The Porsche 911 is another interesting study. . . back seat and some amenities, yet most people would call it a "sports car." The M3 (E46 especially) and 911 (996 and now 997) are fascinating in that they really test the definition of "sports car." It gets really crazy when one refers to a first gen Miata (or, God forbid, an old TR-7 or Fiat Spider) as a "sports car", but refuses to apply the term to a M3, 911, or an Evo. The bottom line is that certain cars were designed as sports cars, but certain other cars which were never designed to be pure sports cars outperform the "sports cars." I guess that one really has to look at the intent of the designer to decide whether any given vehicle deserves the moniker of "sports car."

On this note, the NSX was designed as a revolutionary sports car. Whether you think it was or is a particularly good one is up to you. However, your opinion as to ability does not change the nature of the beast. As they say, "It is what it is." In this case, history-defining sports car. You can thank the NSX for the quantum leap in Italian sports car engineering in the last 10 years. Ferrari got the krap scared out of them by Acura in the mid 1990s.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by AMG_55
i dont agree with this:

From your posts

"Its a slow excuse for a sports car." It is a slow compared to other "sports cars"

"All I can say is the NSX is over ratted for handling" Again I showed cars from the same era that handle better for less...

"If anything honda should just stop with the sports cars." (stupidest thing ive ever heard, why would u want less sports cars?

What?^^^^^ You dont even make any sense.... "why would u want less sports cars?" What? Again What are you trying to say lets try and communicated more clearly.

"I dont think you get it that the NSX isnt all that its cracked up to be in the handling department." Its not I showed you cars from its era that can out handle it everywhere for less than the cost of the NSX.

"And some cars feel nice to drive doesnt mean they can handle... I like the way my ML runs over just about everything in the road and I cant feel anything"(clearly u dont understand what driving means) You drive a CLK AMG... Enough said... And 99% of drivers think they can use a car to its fullest but in reality they can not. I see tards that think they are so good at driving and guess why they end up crashed on the side of the road sooner or later.

"My point was the NSX is not that great of a car compared to others cars for even half the price" (first it was a"slow excuse for a sports car" i take it u meant that it wasnt a sports car, thats what excuse means. then u start singing a different tune saying that it is a sports car, its just over priced.) get ur **** straight.
Learn how to read..... "u meant that it wasnt a sports car, thats what excuse means" What? What my statement means is its slow for sports cars.. I never said it was not a sports car. I consider a porsche boxter a sports car or even a mazda miata and they are both slow.

Again please use real words instead of "U" for "you", I think part of your problem is reading comprehension, which is ok... I am not saying that as an insult most people do not have good reading comprehension skills and we all need practice on them.

Well I am done posting under this topic... I have made my point about what I think about the NSX so be it if you think I am 100% wrong in your mind.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Cool

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...honda_nsx.html
Old 08-07-2006, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Wow you guys are in a truly heated argument about something that I've always considered elementary. The NSX is a honda technology masterpiece, but it was designed over 16 years ago and (obviously) can't keep up with much in '06.

One thing that no one has mentioned so far is that Japanese carmakers, for a very long time have had an unspoken "law" regarding the output of their cars. They were "limited" to 276 horsepower until very recently. Even the R34 Skyline and Toyota Supra were quoted at 276 for the Japanese market (even though they were both in reality putting out over 300), and the NSX, for that market, was a damn rocketship. The NSX, Supra and Skyline were all designed with Modification in mind. The carmakers could not put out cars with higher outputs, so they made it very easy to extract additional power from them, IF ONE WERE SO INCLINED. Why put out a car that makes 300hp but has 550cc injectors?? MOD the thing, stupid.

Honda has yet to show the world what it can really do in a sports car, and the horsepower cork has now been removed, so watch and wait kids, this is going to get interesting.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Wow you guys are in a truly heated argument about something that I've always considered elementary. The NSX is a honda technology masterpiece, but it was designed over 16 years ago and (obviously) can't keep up with much in '06.

One thing that no one has mentioned so far is that Japanese carmakers, for a very long time have had an unspoken "law" regarding the output of their cars. They were "limited" to 276 horsepower until very recently. Even the R34 Skyline and Toyota Supra were quoted at 276 for the Japanese market (even though they were both in reality putting out over 300), and the NSX, for that market, was a damn rocketship. The NSX, Supra and Skyline were all designed with Modification in mind. The carmakers could not put out cars with higher outputs, so they made it very easy to extract additional power from them, IF ONE WERE SO INCLINED. Why put out a car that makes 300hp but has 550cc injectors?? MOD the thing, stupid.

Honda has yet to show the world what it can really do in a sports car, and the horsepower cork has now been removed, so watch and wait kids, this is going to get interesting.

even the later model 290hp nsx are making more like 310-320
they are mid 13second cars
Old 08-08-2006, 07:27 PM

C32
Let me see, it was 1990, and the car had an aluminum chassis. This was a milestone, and the price was reasonable at the time that the car sold like hotcakes. Sure there hasn't been any significant improvements in the last 16 years, but it is still a great car by today's standards. It's not going to win any drag races with EVOs and STI's, but nothing that a S/C wouldn't fix.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:22 AM

190E
Originally Posted by HLG600
I think a near one second difference between an E30 M3 and MY91 NSX wouldn't exactly qualify as slight. Honda/Acura made a huge mistake selling those cars new in the $80K price range. If they included an OEM turbocharger and sold it at $60-65K, they would have sold by the truck load. It is not a horrible car by any means, and some modified ones are very sharp, but the fact still remains that it could have been made better. However, Honda is learning from their mistakes, and is introducing a V10 motor in the successor to the late NSX. Interesting to see how the new one can compare to the new V8 M3.
These cars are Hand made. One point.

And 2, if these cars came with Turbo's and were sold at $60k then you would see one at every corner and it wouldn't be any more special then that Accord you see everyday. Same thing like when iPod's first came out, when they had that huge price tag, no one had them and they were very special. As soon as they dropped to $300 they really sold like hot cakes and even that bum on the corner had one.

Come on man, if Ferraris were sold for 35k, would they really BE a Ferrarri?

Old 08-13-2006, 03:05 AM

2002M3
in my opinion the nsx has the best shifting action, followed closely by the s2000
I second THAT!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 03:13 AM

2002M3
you just dont get it, and i doubt u ever will

I really do get it... am I???....

Seriously, I do agree what you're saying about the NSX... simply an amazing sport car!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:33 PM

06 E55
The NSX isn't bad out of the box. With mods, its pretty sick. For all the guys out in the valley...look out for a yellow (new body) NSX. S/C with some MAJOR upgrades. I think my CL55 is pretty fast, but this NSX is just WILD! The sound the S/C kit makes, and with a 9.5k redline....the car is just...WOW~!

come on everyone...this is suppose to be fun and NOT so serious.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:20 AM

NSX
Nsx

Wow I just caught this thread.

I recently sold my CL600 to another member here. After a lot of research and a lot of driving... including cars like SL55's and SL600's, Maserati Grand Sports, Porsche 996TT and Porsche 997S, Cayman S, new Jag XK, Aston DB9, and a few other 100k+ cars, I chose and bought, a 2005 silver/silver NSX-T.

I have never had so much joy in a car. I cannot describe it to you, because it just can't be quantified. A lot of people don't get it (including myself, before I drove it). And this is a good thing.

There were 40 some odd units made in my color (the most popular) in 2005.

This car is a rare vehicle, not for everybody. So many people come and ask me everyday... "what is that thing?"... "wow its so cool looking"... the driver of a school bus in front of me pulled over to malign the kids, because I was behind the bus and every teenager was hanging half outside the window to look at it and ask me about it.

I take the top off, shift through a really close ratio 6-speed, and listen to this terrific sound that comes right from behind my head. There is a nasty growl to 8000.

The car is hand-built. The entire car, by one guy. Its all aluminum. Chassis, Body, suspension, everything. Hoist it up on a lift, and its a work of art. Its suspension tuned by Ayrton Senna in 1991 and refined over the years, , it has an incredibly good ride for this crazy amount of grip.

The center of gravity is super low. When you sit, you are inches off the ground. You see the road go right past your face with the short low hoodline that you only get in a mid-engine car. You get a sense of speed unlike any other car. The view ahead is fantastic.

The steering is powered to 20 MPH. After that, its fully manual. You can feel exactly what the wheels are doing. There is so much feedback that my CL (or my friend's CLK55) steering in comparison feels completely disconnected. It feels like the steering in an Elise.

Those who say its slow.... this car weighs 3100 pounds... with a few weight saving mods like lighter exhaust, headers, lightweight battery, you can get it to 2900 pounds. Back in 2000 Car and driver tested one and got a 4.5 second 0-60 and a 12.9 second 1/4 mile.

Forged BBS wheels stock, small and light... no 8 piston calipers here, yet it brakes phenomenal. Precise.

But this is just the car... let me tell you about the financial end. My used 600, a garage queen, in one year lost $10,000 of its value. When it was not sitting and depreciating, it was at Mercedes' service department for another electronic glitch.

The NSX is not just a HONDA, but one that has been refined over 15 years. talk about reliability... Its first major scheduled maintenance is at 100,000 miles.

How about depreciation... my car is worth more today than when I bought it 6months ago. Prices on all NSX's have gone up slightly since the end of production. I can sell this car tomorrow for what I paid for it. Its like a free exotic car rental. For 5 years in a row, this car was #1 in lowest cost of ownership in sports car world by Intellichoice.

Is this car expensive? I was looking at used Modenas. "High milage" ones, like say..... "over 9,000 miles" ... $130-150K. First major maintenace at 10K. Cost? 15K.

The NSX is a rare jewel. Thank God there are the people that look at the specs and say "its slow"... "its dated"... "oh look the wheels are small"... etc. Thank God. I have been driving mine for 6 months, and have seen ONE other NSX on the road.

Are some old ones cheap now and riced out? sure... who cares. I have seen more than one Mercedes with chrome spinners.

I do miss my CL at times. The rearview mirror was motorized with memory. My NSX's won't even auto dim. The turn signal in my CL had a feel weighty and high quality enough that I thought it cost more than the entire interior trim of my NSX. It was safer, more comfortable, and 100X more luxurious.

Still, if it were parked next to my NSX, I would take the NSX out 9 out of 10 times. The car is that fun. All these cars that they say is "faster", a stock NSX will eat around a track.

IMHO, the NSX is a part of automotive history.

Take care guys...

here are a few pics of my baby. My apologies to the original poster if I hijacked the thread a bit... but that was done long ago.
Attached Thumbnails The NSX that couldn't-dsc00585.jpg   The NSX that couldn't-dsc00605.jpg   The NSX that couldn't-dsc00619.jpg   The NSX that couldn't-dsc00597.jpg  

Last edited by AMG2GO; 08-16-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Congrats on the NSX. It looks great.
I agree with your comment about Automotive History. The design is timeless. That car made alot of people go back to the drawing board. An exotic that didn't require maintenance after every drive. It was ahead of it's time 15 years ago and still looks good today. With just a few engine modifications, it would be monster. Of course, it's not a slouch in stock form either.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:02 AM

NSX
Originally Posted by dsb
With just a few engine modifications, it would be monster. Of course, it's not a slouch in stock form either.
Thanks... that's why I have these goodies sitting in my basement.
Attached Thumbnails The NSX that couldn't-34-1-.jpg   The NSX that couldn't-img094-1-.jpg   The NSX that couldn't-supercharger.jpg  

Last edited by AMG2GO; 08-16-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
AMG2GO,

You will enjoy these video. The NSX clearly showed is the best handling of the bunch. Just a 100 hp more and it would out run the Lambo, no doubt !!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=ferrari&hl=en
Old 08-16-2006, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
Thanks... that's why I have these goodies sitting in my basement.
You are going to rule the roost with that Comptech S/C, and look at that beautiful exhaust!!!

Honda has some of THE BEST engineers in the world and this car is a perfect example of that. Sure they build a lot of econoboxes, but that's their niche. I never even knew that the entire car was hand built, that immediately justifies the price tag to me.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:10 AM

NSX
Originally Posted by Clk&Slk
AMG2GO,

You will enjoy these video. The NSX clearly showed is the best handling of the bunch. Just a 100 hp more and it would out run the Lambo, no doubt !!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=ferrari&hl=en
Thanks for the link Linh! I had seen that video before but its always good to see again. Nice to see a 15 year old design of the NSX nearly take out all those cars. This chassis is just awesome. What the factory didn't do, you can do yourself with a few mods and have a KILLER car. A friend of mine ragularly races his modded NSX at the track. Different coilovers and a comptech supercharger is pretty much what he has, and Ferrari Challenge Stradale's have a hard time keeping up with him.

He used to get beat on the straights only now after the supercharger they can't catch him anywhere!

How is the CL?

Last edited by AMG2GO; 08-16-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:18 AM

NSX
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
You are going to rule the roost with that Comptech S/C, and look at that beautiful exhaust!!!

Honda has some of THE BEST engineers in the world and this car is a perfect example of that. Sure they build a lot of econoboxes, but that's their niche. I never even knew that the entire car was hand built, that immediately justifies the price tag to me.
Yes, whole car is hand built. Many do not know that about the NSX (New Sportscar Xperimental). Its one of the things that makes this car rock solid reliable. There are many guys with supercharged versions with 100-150K on the odo that have never had any problems.

That exhaust is an exclusive I am bringing from Japan. It has an electronic valve that allows me to adjust flow and noise levels from inside the car or preset by RPM levels. I have been told it has a super high pitched sound along with those headers, similar to the scream of an F1 engine. Can't wait to get it!

Last edited by AMG2GO; 08-16-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:27 AM

NSX
Speed Thrills, you have a beautiful CLS. I love it... love the wheels, the mods... terrific car. But you better look out for my overpriced Honda in your rearview mirror buddy!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:16 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Thanks for the link above. Those videos never get old. That NSX was uncontested on the corners. Just didn't have enough on the straights. I'd like to see AMG2GO's car after the mods. That will be one sweet car.

I wish there was an updated 'battle' video with the SLK55 vs the Cayman S and MZ4 coupe. The only video with the SLK55 is against the boxster and others which is no contest and a bit unfair.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to make my own battle video the next time I'm on the track.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
NICE NSX!

I think you just confirmed what I mentioned on the first page on this post

Add comptech supercharger and you are money!

I like how you kep the OEM wheels and exterior, yet you have goodies under hood.. that is the way to go.

Just a small note: comptech has warranty on all their parts and most if not all Acura dealers will stand by comptech products if installed by them. Basicall this NSX will covered if anything was to go wrong. TRD does the same for Toyota and Nismo for Nissan.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:45 PM

NSX
Yes, I can have the Comptech parts installed at an Acura dealer. Their stuff is very well built and very reliable. Everyone that has this supercharger says "this is how the car should have come". Anyway, its 10K, not 25K like a Kleemann... and it makes a BIG difference in such a lightweight car. You guys just won't believe how much fun I am having here with this thing. I wish I had my CL too still, but this is a car I would recommend to anybody for sheer fun. Sheer inexpensive fun I should say... A Lambo is fun too... but you pay for it.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Almost a Member!

I totally agree most people just don't understand how much fun it is to drive a nsx. I just sold my nsx after I blew the engine on a downshift. Terrible
I love my CL500 but it's something missing everytime I drive the car. (fun factor) I guess b/c I miss my nsx so much. But I love the pimp factor of the CL. I'm almost 100% sure i'm going to sell my CL in a year for another nsx or m series.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
Wow I just caught this thread.

I recently sold my CL600 to another member here. After a lot of research and a lot of driving... including cars like SL55's and SL600's, Maserati Grand Sports, Porsche 996TT and Porsche 997S, Cayman S, new Jag XK, Aston DB9, and a few other 100k+ cars, I chose and bought, a 2005 silver/silver NSX-T.

I have never had so much joy in a car. I cannot describe it to you, because it just can't be quantified. A lot of people don't get it (including myself, before I drove it). And this is a good thing.

There were 40 some odd units made in my color (the most popular) in 2005.

This car is a rare vehicle, not for everybody. So many people come and ask me everyday... "what is that thing?"... "wow its so cool looking"... the driver of a school bus in front of me pulled over to malign the kids, because I was behind the bus and every teenager was hanging half outside the window to look at it and ask me about it.

I take the top off, shift through a really close ratio 6-speed, and listen to this terrific sound that comes right from behind my head. There is a nasty growl to 8000.

The car is hand-built. The entire car, by one guy. Its all aluminum. Chassis, Body, suspension, everything. Hoist it up on a lift, and its a work of art. Its suspension tuned by Ayrton Senna in 1991 and refined over the years, , it has an incredibly good ride for this crazy amount of grip.

The center of gravity is super low. When you sit, you are inches off the ground. You see the road go right past your face with the short low hoodline that you only get in a mid-engine car. You get a sense of speed unlike any other car. The view ahead is fantastic.

The steering is powered to 20 MPH. After that, its fully manual. You can feel exactly what the wheels are doing. There is so much feedback that my CL (or my friend's CLK55) steering in comparison feels completely disconnected. It feels like the steering in an Elise.

Those who say its slow.... this car weighs 3100 pounds... with a few weight saving mods like lighter exhaust, headers, lightweight battery, you can get it to 2900 pounds. Back in 2000 Car and driver tested one and got a 4.5 second 0-60 and a 12.9 second 1/4 mile.

Forged BBS wheels stock, small and light... no 8 piston calipers here, yet it brakes phenomenal. Precise.

But this is just the car... let me tell you about the financial end. My used 600, a garage queen, in one year lost $10,000 of its value. When it was not sitting and depreciating, it was at Mercedes' service department for another electronic glitch.

The NSX is not just a HONDA, but one that has been refined over 15 years. talk about reliability... Its first major scheduled maintenance is at 100,000 miles.

How about depreciation... my car is worth more today than when I bought it 6months ago. Prices on all NSX's have gone up slightly since the end of production. I can sell this car tomorrow for what I paid for it. Its like a free exotic car rental. For 5 years in a row, this car was #1 in lowest cost of ownership in sports car world by Intellichoice.

Is this car expensive? I was looking at used Modenas. "High milage" ones, like say..... "over 9,000 miles" ... $130-150K. First major maintenace at 10K. Cost? 15K.

The NSX is a rare jewel. Thank God there are the people that look at the specs and say "its slow"... "its dated"... "oh look the wheels are small"... etc. Thank God. I have been driving mine for 6 months, and have seen ONE other NSX on the road.

Are some old ones cheap now and riced out? sure... who cares. I have seen more than one Mercedes with chrome spinners.

I do miss my CL at times. The rearview mirror was motorized with memory. My NSX's won't even auto dim. The turn signal in my CL had a feel weighty and high quality enough that I thought it cost more than the entire interior trim of my NSX. It was safer, more comfortable, and 100X more luxurious.

Still, if it were parked next to my NSX, I would take the NSX out 9 out of 10 times. The car is that fun. All these cars that they say is "faster", a stock NSX will eat around a track.

IMHO, the NSX is a part of automotive history.

Take care guys...

here are a few pics of my baby. My apologies to the original poster if I hijacked the thread a bit... but that was done long ago.

Did you recently buy your car on ebay? The reason I ask is a long time ago I put a bid on a BMW that I wanted and whats strange is the background is the same as your NSX even the planes.... Also you say you are in Boston... But this guy is located in TX. Here is a CLS auction he has going...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...QQcmdZViewItem

Ow well never mind... After a bit of digging I found you bought it used with 3k miles... You had me excited for a bit... Sorry lol.
Attached Thumbnails The NSX that couldn't-03.jpg  

Last edited by AndrewAZ; 08-16-2006 at 07:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The NSX that couldn't