Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

The ML that could...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW FTW
The ML that could...

Well just a little background on this story. About a year ago my buddy bought a used chevy Impala, its the 3.8 v6 I think he said it makes over 200 hp. Well I had ridden in it a few times and thought the car was quick. Well now for the good part. We lined up at a light last night and he rolls down the window and says lets go. I had 2 other people in the ML and he had no passengers. Light turns green his tires slightly peel out. End of 1st gear for the ML and we are neck on neck, 2nd gear neck on neck, 3rd gear ML starts to walk away from the Impala, I was shocked that I stayed neck on neck with him then to pull away in 3rd gear I was like WOW... Well shocked at the outcome we lined up again.... same outcome. I figure that if I line up again with him and I power brake that I will pull 1/2 car at the start of the race and if I drop 2 passengers I might pull on him in 1st and 2nd gear.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
Wow, impressive! I also notice my E320 pulls in third gear when racing my friends X5. Must be a sweet spot.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by MB AMG
Wow, impressive! I also notice my E320 pulls in third gear when racing my friends X5. Must be a sweet spot.
I dont know much about the 5 speed transmission in the Benz... But I do know on the new 7g the transmissions torque converter can lock up in any gear which allows more power to transfer without being wasted in the torque converter.. Could it be possible that in 3rd gear the 5 speed transmission has a torque converter lock up allow full use of the power.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
I dont know much about the 5 speed transmission in the Benz... But I do know on the new 7g the transmissions torque converter can lock up in any gear which allows more power to transfer without being wasted in the torque converter.. Could it be possible that in 3rd gear the 5 speed transmission has a torque converter lock up allow full use of the power.
Nah, all american cars dye out in higher gears. They just aren't built to run at the high end like the German engines are. LOL, nice kill!!
Old 08-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Nice kill!! American cars aren't built for the autobahn.