Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

E500 Kills M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Improviz
Maybe, but I consider a blown engine to be a much more serious flaw than an engine making lower-than-advertised horsepower. Further, this is not an isolated case: prior to this, BMW had a problem with the original 540 V8's... subsequent to this, BMW has had problems with the M5. So in terms of driveline and engine reliability with their hipo cars, I'd give the nod to Benz.

If you're speaking of your original point, I think the operative term is "correct", not "rephrase", as you clearly weren't aware of the M3 engine failures when you wrote it, but anyway....

Great, that's one example...but there were hundreds of the engine blowing. Across three different models. That is indicative of some QC problems, no matter how you slice it.

Yes. It's clear that rather than simply admit your original statement was wrong, and that your claim that Hakk had written something he hasn't was wrong, you're instead going to try and muddy the waters a bit....fine.

But the facts still stand.
Not to mention that the new BMW 3.0L Twin TTurbo engines are rumored to be running too hot(oil temps)!!

After 2k7 ALL of the cars (335 Auto/manuals 535Auto/manuals) will be running oil coolers because of this known issue.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by Improviz
Yes. It's clear that rather than simply admit your original statement was wrong, and that your claim that Hakk had written something he hasn't was wrong, you're instead going to try and muddy the waters a bit....fine.
Nah dude, not trying to muddy anything. At the time of the post, the only material I have read about the M motor was speaking of its ability to withstand some serious punishment. Forgive me for generalizing a motor based on the majority of successful versions.

Hakk, I'm as crazy of a gearhead as they come, just giving credit where it is due with the I6.

The N52 is a solid piece. Was I wrong in that every single N52 off the line is problem prone...yes. Then again, show me any motor ever built that has yet to have at least a handful of problem-ridden sour eggs. Like I said, I was rationally generalizing on the majority of successful versions.

Since I do not scour the BMW boards, at the time of the post I was unaware of the handful of unhappy customers. The information I had at hand at the time were:

a. The extensive reviews and awards the N52 earned.
b. What I personally viewed with this motor and my friend's commentary after some time of hard use.

I'm interested to read something new, and the links were good reads. Didn't intend to put words in your mouth. Just saying don't base the reputation on the marginally few erroneous motors.

Cheers
Old 08-07-2007, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
540 6spd
I spend a lot of time surfing both BMW and Benz boards and the issues w/ the N54 are true. I believe the models built and sold w/o oil coolers are going to be retrofitted w/ something. IIRC they've also had some other cooling issues w/ the N54.

I've also watched the 6.2L debate and I don't know what's up with that. I haven't seen anything posted about those engines having a known problem w/ performance, although some of the dyno numbers they've put down are suspect

fwiw the 6.2L V8 in the AMG's is actually a lighter engine than the upcoming 4.0L V8 in the M3.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by HLG600
Nah dude, not trying to muddy anything. At the time of the post, the only material I have read about the M motor was speaking of its ability to withstand some serious punishment. Forgive me for generalizing a motor based on the majority of successful versions.
Bear in mind that it is very unlikely that each and every M3 owner worldwide is a subscriber to that forum, and that therefore it is virtually certain that this group of engine failures, while substantial, is only a subset of the total number of engine failures, so I wouldn't be quite so quick to diminish the issues seen with this engine.

And I would also point out that for the owners in question, the fact that many other owners' engines did not fail is probably not much comfort. In fact, it might prove to be educational to actually read their comments about the treatment they received before these issues got widespread attention (due mostly to their efforts, I might add), because they were very, very unhappy campers.

Here is a history of issues from Stonewalk at the Roadfly E46 M3 forum. He's as hardcore of an M3 enthusiast as they come, and yet he was livid at the way this was handled by BMW:
http://yoy.com/yoy/auto/m3_failwhat.shtml#

Hakk, I'm as crazy of a gearhead as they come, just giving credit where it is due with the I6.
Fine, but it is your reluctance to give criticism where criticism is due that I find puzzling.

The N52 is a solid piece. Was I wrong in that every single N52 off the line is problem prone...yes. Then again, show me any motor ever built that has yet to have at least a handful of problem-ridden sour eggs. Like I said, I was rationally generalizing on the majority of successful versions.
But if you extrapolate from the number of owners/number of failures on the board, you come up with more like 500 potential failures. This is not a "handful"; it is a catastrophe.

Since I do not scour the BMW boards, at the time of the post I was unaware of the handful of unhappy customers. The information I had at hand at the time were:

a. The extensive reviews and awards the N52 earned.
b. What I personally viewed with this motor and my friend's commentary after some time of hard use.

I'm interested to read something new, and the links were good reads. Didn't intend to put words in your mouth. Just saying don't base the reputation on the marginally few erroneous motors.

Cheers
Several hundred failures is not "marginal". Why you persist in trying to spin about this is quite puzzling, but you're starting to sound more like the White House Press Secretary than an unbiased observer here. This was a collossal screwup, no matter how you slice it. Yes, they seem to have fixed it in the later runs, a good thing. But you simply don't see this happening with Mercedes engines, yet BMW engines have had issues time and time and time again. They are great-running engines, those BMW engines, and BMWs are great cars, but they clearly have some work to do in their Quality Control department wrt engines.

I personallly wouldn't be lining up to purchase any first-year M car, and would be reluctant to purchase any first year car from them period, based upon what has happened in:

- Original 540
- E46 M3
- M5 and M6

and now:
- 335i.

If you can find any trend of blown engines in any recent run of Benzes, your point would be well taken. As it stands, the BMW stuff seems to be notably less robust in this department.