Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

c32 vs 335i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
c32 vs 335i

I know there's a lot of these stories around, but i decided to post mine.

Normally i dont street race, actually i haven't street raced in over 5yrs.

I was driving on the freeway around the late evening so there was barely any traffic.

I was already going pretty quick at around 80mph. This bmw came up behind me and kept riding my butt for a long time, even though i was already going pretty quick. I was getting pretty annoyed. I normally let it go, but this guy was really pissing me off. We finally got to a straight away with no traffic.

The 335i pulls to the lane next to me and starts to gun it. I had the music on, so i dont know if it was manual or stick.

I didn't down shift and just left it at D. I floored the accelerator. We both started at 80mph. It was dead even until about 95, i had about a fender lead. After that i kepted slowly walking him up until 120mph then i stopped when i saw a patch of traffic coming up.

To the credit of german engineering, i didn't even realize was going 120mph until i looked down.

As i slowed down to 70mph, the guy went through 4 lanes of traffic just to cut in front of me and speed through traffic.

I guess i got mad, because i see lot of these kind of drivers in 3-series bmw's in southern california. There the new version of civic ricers or mustang hicks.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 04-08-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
yeah im the same way too, I hate it when people tailgate me. Those 335i are quick and the drivers take these cars too seriously like they are the fastest machines they have or can beat any vehicle they wish. These 335i tend to go 0-60s in the mid 5secs range. Great run though...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
If both cars are stock that sounds right on the money on the outcome you had. We have about 50 more HP but the auto takes some of that power away from us.

Now if you run into a 335 that has Proceede V2 software watch out they scream. I have always wondered how a C32 with a pulley and a tune would hold up against a 335 with a tune. Anyone know?

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
I know there's a lot of these stories around, but i decided to post mine.

Normally i dont street race, actually i haven't street raced in over 5yrs.

I was driving on the freeway around the late evening so there was barely any traffic.

I was already going pretty quick at around 80mph. This bmw came up behind me and kept riding my butt for a long time, even though i was already going pretty quick. I was getting pretty annoyed. I normally let it go, but this guy was really pissing me off. We finally got to a straight away with no traffic.

The 335i pulls to the lane next to me and starts to gun it. I had the music on, so i dont know if it was manual or stick.

I didn't down shift and just left it at D. I floored the accelerator. We both started at 80mph. It was dead even until about 95, i had about a fender lead. After that i kepted slowly walking him up until 120mph then i stopped when i saw a patch of traffic coming up.

To the credit of german engineering, i didn't even realize was going 120mph until i looked down.

As i slowed down to 70mph, the guy went through 4 lanes of traffic just to cut in front of me and speed through traffic.

I guess i got mad, because i see lot of these kind of drivers in 3-series bmw's in southern california. There the new version of civic ricers or mustang hicks.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
It's always so much better when the other guy is willing to pull up and give a I do, especially if I lose.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by bud4ya
If both cars are stock that sounds right on the money on the outcome you had. We have about 50 more HP but the auto takes some of that power away from us.

Now if you run into a 335 that has Proceede V2 software watch out they scream. I have always wondered how a C32 with a pulley and a tune would hold up against a 335 with a tune. Anyone know?

Well maybe we should have a drag day with stock and modded 335i and C32 to determine that...or even a C55 I say close but then again don't really know so it could go eitherway...
Old 04-08-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32amg,c240
Dont worry about it Temjinx2. Its human emotion to get alittle ticked off at some drivers.These days everyone tries to pick on you,especially in a benz.Whether to take action against them is up to you.But at the end of the day you have a benz so be happy and good kill.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
they have 1 more gear manual or auto

lower torque curve..

but they fall a bit flat on the top end.

usually the C32 will trap a bit higher..almost even.

for a 6 year old car is not bad to keep up with a car that (RIGHT NOW) is easily 40k for sedan and 45k for coupe. (before taxes)

SSTT, JBX should be about even with a pulley only C32

Procede 2.0x 91 OCT will need pulley, ECU, FMHE, and headers to stay in the game.

JBX with Race gas is probaby about the same as PRocede.

Have not yet to run one here.. but I plan to have the clutch pulley installed soon.

I'm sure most of the 335 racers have at least the SSTT or JBX
Old 04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the 335i is overrated and overhyped. Everyone talks about how you can get all this power from this and that, but that goes the same for any turbo'ed car.

This kind of tech is been around for years in japanese imports.

My friend spent $300 to get his ecu reflashed in his evo and it added 30whp. Thats from only a 2.0L 4 cyclinder too.

I still think the e46 was the best designed bmw in terms of looks.

I love my c32 because of its subtle european looks and i can throw down the hammer when i need to. I'm glad it performed well.

I'm stock with K & N filters as my only mod.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
I think the 335i is overrated and overhyped. Everyone talks about how you can get all this power from this and that, but that goes the same for any turbo'ed car.

This kind of tech is been around for years in japanese imports.
C'mon man, you have a supercharged V6 yourself. Do you really want to rail about the relative ease with which FI engines can be modded for HP gains vs. NA? Or about Japanese imports using FI on lower-displacement engines?

Besides, who are you going to blame - MB? For popularizing FI on higher-end German imports with their AMG 55K series or even non-AMG TT600 series engines?

I love my c32 because....
That's all that counts. Enjoy your car
Old 04-10-2008, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
What is notable about the 335 motor is how smoothly the boost is integrated into the powerband. It is one small turbo per each three cylinders, making the motor feel more like an eight cylinder than a turbo'd six. I've driven a few E92's...and cannot say enough good things about the overall package BMW offers. People tend to get excited, hence the levels of hype, but viewing the car and powertrain objectively, it is very impressive.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1985mb
C'mon man, you have a supercharged V6 yourself. Do you really want to rail about the relative ease with which FI engines can be modded for HP gains vs. NA? Or about Japanese imports using FI on lower-displacement engines?

Besides, who are you going to blame - MB? For popularizing FI on higher-end German imports with their AMG 55K series or even non-AMG TT600 series engines?

That's all that counts. Enjoy your car
i never compared any power improvements with NA. I compared a turbo evo which is a 2.0L turbo'ed car.

The main reason your going to start seeing more turbo'ed cars is not because mercedes made it popular, which they didn't its because of stricter emissions and advancedment in turbo technology.

Even ferrari said they will probably no longer make v12 engines and just settle with turbo'ed v10's and v8 engines due to the stricter EU emission and c02 standards.

Any well sized turbo can reduce turbo lag to almost nothing.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HLG600
What is notable about the 335 motor is how smoothly the boost is integrated into the powerband. It is one small turbo per each three cylinders, making the motor feel more like an eight cylinder than a turbo'd six. I've driven a few E92's...and cannot say enough good things about the overall package BMW offers. People tend to get excited, hence the levels of hype, but viewing the car and powertrain objectively, it is very impressive.
considering there e46 was a 3.2L na making 333hp and there using turbo to get 300hp from a 3.0L i6, i dont really think its that impressive in terms of numbers.

I think the only thing that really makes the 335i unqiue is the fact, there the only 1-tier one manufacturer offering turbo'ed entry level cars.

1-tier as in Mercedes, BMW and Lexus. Audi i would consider them more of a top tier 2.

The 335i is a great car, don't get me wrong but i dont think its the speedster everyone makes it out to be.

Its kind of like what Jeremy Clarkson said about the e90 m3. Its a great car, but only ***** drive it, so it ruins the car. I some what share the same opinion of 335i, hence my slight bias against the car.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
I agree they are quick but not anything spectacular until you tune them. My guess from looking at numbers stock for stock they are about the same as a C32 maybe a tad slower than the C32. This is assuming both drivers equal. Just think the C32 has not been produced in years. But once they are tuned they do become real monsters.

considering there e46 was a 3.2L na making 333hp and there using turbo to get 300hp from a 3.0L i6, i dont really think its that impressive in terms of numbers.

I think the only thing that really makes the 335i unqiue is the fact, there the only 1-tier one manufacturer offering turbo'ed entry level cars.

1-tier as in Mercedes, BMW and Lexus. Audi i would consider them more of a top tier 2.

The 335i is a great car, don't get me wrong but i dont think its the speedster everyone makes it out to be.

Its kind of like what Jeremy Clarkson said about the e90 m3. Its a great car, but only ***** drive it, so it ruins the car. I some what share the same opinion of 335i, hence my slight bias against the car.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:58 AM

08 M5, 06 X3, 05 C55
a lot of 335 drivers i run into are complete ricer asshats. i can't count how many stock 335's i've seen with just a loudass bov.

the car itself is awesome, the sequential turbos are spooled at 1.5k. and really not much noticable lag at all. I've run a couple in the subbie and usually the 335 is about 1 cl ahead from a roll. dig is a different story

I've never gotten any play when i'm in the benz. its suprising how many people think all 55 amg's are supercharged.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4

335ci can get it to the MID 400BHP range. I've ran a chipped 335 and those things are MONSTERS
Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Tommy_s4
335ci can get it to the MID 400BHP range. I've ran a chipped 335 and those things are MONSTERS

Bud4ya did say tuned/chipped its a different story...in our kill section there is a thread where people raced a stock C32 vs a stock 335i and a tuned/chipped one and the results were stock vs stock the C32 wins stock C32 vs a chipped/tuned 335i the Bmer takes it easily. I would like to see a pulleid/Tuned C32 vs a chipped/Tuned 335i...
Old 04-11-2008, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
a lot of 335 drivers i run into are complete ricer asshats. i can't count how many stock 335's i've seen with just a loudass bov.

the car itself is awesome, the sequential turbos are spooled at 1.5k. and really not much noticable lag at all. I've run a couple in the subbie and usually the 335 is about 1 cl ahead from a roll. dig is a different story

I've never gotten any play when i'm in the benz. its suprising how many people think all 55 amg's are supercharged.
Our cars just like the Bmers are classy cars already no need to add stuff to take away from that right? If its concealed I understand but very visable it brings the brand down imo...
Old 04-11-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Different motors with different characteristics. The S54 is a revvy screamer, and is no doubt capable of making some music. Where they differ is in regard to torque, as the 335i makes more much lower in the powerband. Also, those motors are detuned, and yet still are very conservative in power output. I agree in that it they are nothing extreme, but its very easy to extract another 100hp...with some good, thick rubber, we have ourselves quite a sleeper.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy_s4
they can.. but not that common

I do like the N54 engine... I would love to have 1 for MPG reasons and mods.

Most of the boosted, piggy back 335i's with simple bolt ons will be around 320 to 360 RWHP with Race Gas.

N54 running 400RWHP will be not very common.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HLG600
Different motors with different characteristics. The S54 is a revvy screamer, and is no doubt capable of making some music. Where they differ is in regard to torque, as the 335i makes more much lower in the powerband. Also, those motors are detuned, and yet still are very conservative in power output. I agree in that it they are nothing extreme, but its very easy to extract another 100hp...with some good, thick rubber, we have ourselves quite a sleeper.
For me, i'm more impressed they were able to get 333hp out of a naturely aspirated engine out of a 3.2L.

Getting power out of a force induction engine is not difficult. Just expensive depending on how much power you want to add.

There 1000hp evos out there from a 2.0L turbo. Most turbo'ed cars are tuned to pass emissions so any kind of aggressive tune can get more power out of them.

I'm guessing they went with the 3.0L turbo instead of the 3.2 NA to meet the tougher EU emission standards.

i do admit one of the reasons i got a c32 over a s4 and m3 is because its already using FI. I did plan on upgrading to turbos later down the line.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree they are quick but not anything spectacular until you tune them. My guess from looking at numbers stock for stock they are about the same as a C32 maybe a tad slower than the C32. This is assuming both drivers equal. Just think the C32 has not been produced in years. But once they are tuned they do become real monsters.
The race turned out the way i expected it.

Since the 335i has a six speed and more aggressive gearing and the c32 is only a 5 speed with wider gearing. At higher end speeds the wider gearing and higher hp took over hence why i started walking him at 95.

If i down shifted to 4th instead of keeping it in 5th i think i would've started walking him a little earlier.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sephiroth

i agree, with ball bearing turbos. Most modern turbos spoon relatively quick. Even my friends small 1.8L integra was fully spooned by 2000rpm out of a 8200rpm redline using a gt28.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
For me, i'm more impressed they were able to get 333hp out of a naturely aspirated engine out of a 3.2L.

Getting power out of a force induction engine is not difficult. Just expensive depending on how much power you want to add.
True. I love the S54 I6. 7,900 rev line, the revs just ping at the behest of your right foot.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by transferred
True. I love the S54 I6. 7,900 rev line, the revs just ping at the behest of your right foot.
yeah i feel you on that. Sometimes i miss my integ with the 8200rpm red line. I love the low end torque of the c32, but sometimes i miss the high end pull i use to feel in my integ.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:29 PM

MTA
Originally Posted by TopGun32
they can.. but not that common

I do like the N54 engine... I would love to have 1 for MPG reasons and mods.

Most of the boosted, piggy back 335i's with simple bolt ons will be around 320 to 360 RWHP with Race Gas.

N54 running 400RWHP will be not very common.
320rwhp with race gas? You can EASILY get 360rwhp on 93 octane with just a PROcede piggyback and nothing else. The 335's put down around 290 RWHP stock.