Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

G37s Killed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I don't think there is any comparison between the GTR and the G37. They are completely different cars with entirely different engineering philosophies. Maybe the previous "Skyline" models were comparable to each other due to shared bodies and chassis, but these two are totally different beasts that only share an engine block in common.
By all means they are different leagues of cars. I was commenting on how their parent company can be pretty adept at making heavier cars handle quite well. BMW seems to have figured this out too some time ago.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Funny reading this...I was coming home the other night in my 65 and lo and behold a G35 rams up my behind wanting me to run him. With the price of gas, in my mind, I said there is no way in Hell I will even dust this guy...not worth to spend my gas.... Thank God I am composed and refuse to race on public roads.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
I don't think there is any comparison between the GTR and the G37. They are completely different cars with entirely different engineering philosophies. Maybe the previous "Skyline" models were comparable to each other due to shared bodies and chassis, but these two are totally different beasts that only share an engine block in common.
Actually the gtr and g35 are actually closer brothers then you think. The gtr uses a vr38 which is based on the vq series engines. They just bored it out to 3.8L and used some of there race technology from there JGTC racing.

The platform the gtr is based on is actually a modified version of the FM platform that the g35 uses. The 350z, m35, m45, fx, ex all use the FM platform, although slightly modified for each car.

Ghosen told the Nissan engineers when he green lighted the project that it needed to meet at least 3 specifications.

1. No R & D money will be spent on a platform that can be used for only one car

2. The base price had to be under $70k

3. Nissan need to make a profit and not be a loss leader.

You see this in a lot of japanese companies like Toyota, Honda and Nissan. They try to share as many of the parts and platforms as possible to pay for the cost of R & D over five or six models vs just one or two.

This way you keep the costs down for the company, parts are usually more reliable and the costs for parts are lower.

Mercedes tried to do this with Chrysler when they bought them, so they would have the same economics of scale like Toyota. But they failed miserably.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Mercedes tried to do this with Chrysler when they bought them, so they would have the same economics of scale like Toyota. But they failed miserably.
Even though Chrysler was still profitable. So was Aston Martin for Ford.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 565 Likes on 373 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Actually the gtr and g35 are actually closer brothers then you think. The gtr uses a vr38 which is based on the vq series engines. They just bored it out to 3.8L and used some of there race technology from there JGTC racing.

The platform the gtr is based on is actually a modified version of the FM platform that the g35 uses. The 350z, m35, m45, fx, ex all use the FM platform, although slightly modified for each car.

Ghosen told the Nissan engineers when he green lighted the project that it needed to meet at least 3 specifications.

1. No R & D money will be spent on a platform that can be used for only one car

2. The base price had to be under $70k

3. Nissan need to make a profit and not be a loss leader.

You see this in a lot of japanese companies like Toyota, Honda and Nissan. They try to share as many of the parts and platforms as possible to pay for the cost of R & D over five or six models vs just one or two.

This way you keep the costs down for the company, parts are usually more reliable and the costs for parts are lower.

You basically said nothing here. Yay, same platform, are you aware of what a platform is? It's an outline, everything bolted to either car is different, except the engine block, which I mentioned.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Even though Chrysler was still profitable.
Really?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
You basically said nothing here. Yay, same platform, are you aware of what a platform is? It's an outline, everything bolted to either car is different, except the engine block, which I mentioned.
are you on crack? The platform and drive train are the two most expensive and major components on the car. Why do you think automotive manufacturers try to use same drive trains and platforms over multiple models to spread the cost the R & D.

Most of the other components are R & D'ed by there suppliers, so the auto manufacturer doesn't have waste money on that.

One of the ways the government classifies vehicles is the platform it runs on.

For example California, the state with the strictest emission and car laws in the union; considers cars with the same platform the same vehicle. For example, you can swap a 200hp rsx engine into a 01-05 civic that use to have 127hp engine and have it be legal. Why is it legal? The state considers both cars the same vehicle since they use the same platform.

Nissan basically started out with a g35 skeleton and engine. Then they used some of the off the shelf technology they had from there racing division and modified it to what you see as the gtr.

You ever wonder why nissan can sell a car that can compete with $100-130k porsches at $70k and still make money?

They didn't spend much on R & D or developing new components. They just used the technology they already had and thats been paid for to create this experiment called the GTR.

With this is mind, its fair to say the G35 and gtr can be brothers. Are they the same car? No Are they built for the same purpose? No Are they related? Yes
Old 09-20-2008, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 CLK 430
G37S

I have a clk430 and a G37s and the 430 is no race car but it is pretty fast especially from obo 50mph and I use to own alot of cars on the road with it but the G37 just feels so much faster than my 430. It really is pretty quick but Racing AMG models however is not gonna be a good outcome for the G37.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
You used a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

The little G37 traps at 102mph. Put simply, it cannot come close to matching a C55, let alone a W211 E55. For what it's worth, I think they sound obnoxious too.
I lit up a couple G35's in my old CLK430. A couple months ago I burned up a shiny, new frost white G37S in my CLK55. Basically used a shotgun to kill a rat. It was quite fun owning that G37S on Irvine blvd.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
I lit up a couple G35's in my old CLK430. A couple months ago I burned up a shiny, new frost white G37S in my CLK55. Basically used a shotgun to kill a rat. It was quite fun owning that G37S on Irvine blvd.
Have you no scruples against repeatedly subjecting lesser machines to a thorough **** whipping? Apparently not.

I do not appreciate their obnoxiously farty exhaust note. Good, albeit easy, kills!
Old 09-25-2008, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
I thought wait for the canyons was what BMW people were suppose to say??