Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

E55 vs. Bike

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
E55 vs. Bike

Disclaimer – the exact kind of bike in the following events is unknown. It was painted black with stickers everywhere, had an aftermarket exhaust and looked like an earlier CBR 600. And no, it wasn’t like the bike Tom Cruise rode in Top Gun. So, for the sake if this story, and to **** some people off, I’ll call it a CBR.

Anyway, I was heading west on a certain 3 lane highway a few weeks ago and following a pack of bikes. The CBR was leading a few others, including some road bikes, and were slightly weaving in and out of traffic, but nothing too crazy. I was following behind and trying not to be obnoxious, but at the same time, keeping up and enjoying the pace.

About 1/2 a mile ahead, we were about to approach a long tunnel with a winding S curve and a straight, long floating bridge immediately after that. As usual, I love dropping the gears and hearing the faint sound of my exhaust in the tunnel, so, I see an opening in the right lane and make my move to get ahead of the CBR. I open her up to a steady 90 through the tunnel. The bike picks up his speed and paces behind me through the end of the S curve. As we approach the end of the tunnel, I drop it down to 80 and I hear is exhaust rip and echo louder behind me. There are no cars in sight ahead of me so I hammer it out of the tunnel and onto the straight away of the bridge. He picks the left lane and I stay on the right….80-90-100-110-120-130-140 he is on my tail and behind me, but getting slightly smaller and smaller in my left side mirror. 150 comes up quickly and I’m not sure how my car will handle hitting the governor (haven’t done it yet), so I play it safe and get on the brakes. He immediately comes to my side and we both scrub off about 80mile per hour and back down 70. He looks over, gives me the thumbs up, peace sign and drops behind me to wait for his buddies.

Anyway, it was pretty exhilarating to out pace a crotch rocket. Now before the cynics jump in, there could be a lot of reasons why I pulled on him. He wasn’t in the right gear, didn’t want to pass etc. I do know this: Bikes will smoke cars period. However, there are many articles out there that show that at high speed, the bikes power to ratio is trumped by the terrible aerodynamics. Some interesting reads and articles:

R&T’s 1 mile exotic race with a bike in the mix.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1

Bike vs. F1 car vs. boat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn6eHg1VSZI

Anyway, enjoy the kill or flame away. Eitherway, just thought I'd share.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
listen im with you. bike are fast doesnt mean the person riding them knows what the hell he is doing. i have beat bikes before two to be exact both of them where 2000+ the first of a light going up hill the guy had no ***** and didnt know how to ride. the second was on my way back from SF on the 101. its a lot scarier going 150 on the back back of a bike than in the heated seats of an E55. nice run BTW

Last edited by sick430; 06-15-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by str8ridin
Bike vs. F1 car vs. boat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn6eHg1VSZI

Anyway, enjoy the kill or flame away. Eitherway, just thought I'd share.
F1 car sound is pure sex.

Nice kill btw.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I witnessed my friend beat a bike with his modded E55. Not sure which bike it was or how many CC's, but just to see a big sedan pull on a bike up top (maybe up to 160) was really an eye opener.

Nice kill and good story
Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
people always seem to forget that just cause a bike can do 0-60 in 2sec does not mean that the kid riding it has any idea to what he is actually doing. bikes are fast and i love them and if the rider knows what hes doing than yes they are crazy almost scary fast and on that note we must also remember that hitting 100+ in a car is very different than on top of a tiny seat with asphalt flying beneath your feet.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by sick430
people always seem to forget that just cause a bike can do 0-60 in 2sec does not mean that the kid riding it has any idea to what he is actually doing. bikes are fast and i love them and if the rider knows what hes doing than yes they are crazy almost scary fast and on that note we must also remember that hitting 100+ in a car is very different than on top of a tiny seat with asphalt flying beneath your feet.
you are exactly right...my friend has a 997tt and he has beaten bikes before from a dig, because sometimes they either a. dont really know how to ride it, and b. dont want to kill the bike...i too have beaten a few bikes before (i can think of 3), so it is definitely possible...just have to have a REALLY fast car, like we do
Old 06-30-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S600
Bikes are fast. I beat a few GSXR 600's before, but not in my Benz. I was driving a 2005 Nissan 350Z, with a totally built motor, plus an APS twin turbo kit. There were 3 riders together. We started from a roll of about 30 mph. When they finally caught up with me at the traffic light 2 miles down the road, they asked me to pull over and talk with them. They just wanted to know, "What the hell is in that thing?" They couldn't believe they had been beat. That Z was a very fun car to drive.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:21 AM

R350 4-matic
I think what we have to remember is that most of the guys willing to race are on 600's. They will top out around 150-155, and are not pulling that hard once past 140+.

Now the 1000's, they'll pull hard all the way to 165-170 and quickly. But as mentioned, it takes some serious cajones to ramp it up that fast on the street with little to no protection and experience if the guy in a noob.

But still, nice kill.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Jbizzy21
you are exactly right...my friend has a 997tt and he has beaten bikes before from a dig, because sometimes they either a. dont really know how to ride it, and b. dont want to kill the bike...i too have beaten a few bikes before (i can think of 3), so it is definitely possible...just have to have a REALLY fast car, like we do
Some don't know how to launch and when they try they do a big wheelie and go out of control, saw that when a friend raced not sure what bike I think it was an R1 or R6 but he was in a E60 M5.

Great Story, there is something special about racing bikes, not sure what, maybe its the fact its two very different machines.