Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

??'s about the 2008 XKR Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2008 | 08:46 AM

??'s about the 2008 XKR Coupe

I was driving down Memorial near the park (the only curving, nice road in Houston) and I saw xeons fast approaching in my rear view mirror. I floored my 04 CLK55 (non supercharged 5.4) around the first curve and the XKR backed off to grandfather mode. I really wanted to pace him to see what the new XKR 4.2 supercharged can do but was let down.

I am really curious about the XKR. Has anyone ran against a 2008+ XKR? Sorry to dissappoint you guys with the lack of a kill story.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:13 AM

06 BMW M roadster
My good buddy has an 08 XKR convertible (only 110 lbs heavier than the coupe) that I've driven quite a few times. Runs decent, nice sound and should trap around 110 mph in the quarter. Has a good amount of torque down low. I've used it to beat someone driving an E60 M5 3 times in a row (dig, short roll and another dig). I used some "sleight of hand" on the last dig.. Granted the m5 driver had NO clue what he was doing. He did want to race on the highway but I declined. Wanted to keep the undefeated streak intact . I've never really run the XKR against my car except for some very SHORT 3rd gear pulls where it's been more or less even. FYI: my car should trap between 105 and 108 mph in the 1/4. Seems like if you ran one with your car, it would be quite competitive....
Old 06-24-2008 | 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Yardspeed
I've used it to beat someone driving an E60 M5 3 times in a row (dig, short roll and another dig). I used some "sleight of hand" on the last dig.. Granted the m5 driver had NO clue what he was doing. He did want to race on the highway but I declined. Wanted to keep the undefeated streak intact .
Yup, he must have been clueless. E60 M5 is in a different league of performance to the '08 XKR Coupe. The Jag is 414bhp but it's supercharger seemingly steals a lot of this power as a 110 trap is right in line with the 360bhp NA 55 AMGs.
Old 06-24-2008 | 07:18 PM

06 BMW M roadster
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Yup, he must have been clueless. E60 M5 is in a different league of performance to the '08 XKR Coupe. The Jag is 414bhp but it's supercharger seemingly steals a lot of this power as a 110 trap is right in line with the 360bhp NA 55 AMGs.
Lol... He was beyond clueless. He's actually an acquaintance of the owner of the XKR. He was very pissed by the outcome because he called me out outside of a club we were all leaving... I declined multiple times. He then came up beside us at a light and continued talking crap (though I acknowledged the M5 as the faster car with approx a 115 mph trap). We then started rolling out off the light with him taunting me. I realized he was at low revs and hit it (so did he) and pulled him. We then lined up for a short roll and were even with me having a slight edge. He then came up beside us at the next light and said his traction control was on before and now he's ready. I told my buddy to talk crap to him and distract him. When the light chaged, I got the jump and left him to 100 mph and then shut down with him closing fast. We were both getting on the highway so he comes beside me wanting to run. I could hear the S85 singing so I knew he was in a low gear , so I declined while giving props to the M5 as a highway monster. He drove off pissed and likely embarassed that he lost in front of 2 of his friends after calling us out..

Weeks later I ran into him and asked him about lauch control on his car. He didn't know that existed (even the milder US version). Clueless as I said... Remember though that the Jag has 420hp actually, more torque than the M5 at lower rpms, slightly lower weight and a sneaky driver
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Yardspeed
(though I acknowledged the M5 as the faster car with approx a 115 mph trap). ... Remember though that the Jag has 420hp actually, more torque than the M5 at lower rpms, slightly lower weight and a sneaky driver
117 trap is the norm.

As for the XKR, I belive it's 420PS so 414bhp. However, 6 horses isn't going to make the difference...however, a sneaky driver can
Old 06-25-2008 | 11:10 AM

Thanks for the replys. Any car that can run 13 second 1/4 is fine by me. I must say the Black XKR Coupe looked really sweet (much nicer than the convertible IMHO). I consider the 08 XKR a really nice, cheaper alternative to Aston Martins (even without the AM cache); however my wife REALLY likes the DB9 and their values have dropped considerably. I may consider a 05 DB9 or a new XKR Coupe after we build our house. Will keep you guys updated.
Old 06-26-2008 | 10:37 AM

06 BMW M roadster
Originally Posted by hrothgar02
Thanks for the replys. Any car that can run 13 second 1/4 is fine by me. I must say the Black XKR Coupe looked really sweet (much nicer than the convertible IMHO). I consider the 08 XKR a really nice, cheaper alternative to Aston Martins (even without the AM cache); however my wife REALLY likes the DB9 and their values have dropped considerably. I may consider a 05 DB9 or a new XKR Coupe after we build our house. Will keep you guys updated.
You're welcome. Enjoy the XKR or DB9 if you buy one. Both are very nice classy cars. If I were in the market for a coupe in that price range, I would also consider the CL63 and the M6...