Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

CLK 63 BS vs Dodge Challenger SRT8 LOL!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
The Challenger owners know they can run stock what you did in your LS2 GTO with headers so they are getting exactly what they expect. It is too large and too heavy, but doesn't perform differently than any other 6.1 LX.
Yea , I would have been able to compare a little better if I drove both back to back when I was stock,
does the Srt8 have launching issues like the GTO at the track or you guys have just as hard of time as us. bad launch = high 13s run vs good of high12s
Old 08-07-2008, 07:10 PM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by renesis83
Yea , I would have been able to compare a little better if I drove both back to back when I was stock,
does the Srt8 have launching issues like the GTO at the track or you guys have just as hard of time as us. bad launch = high 13s run vs good of high12s
Once knowing the technique, even with worn F1s, 1.9 60fts are standard, so I guess the answer is no.

Standard psi in the tires, 1/2 to 1/3 tank of gas, get the initial weight-transfer to the rear, then go WOT. It's pretty easy.

The quirks are heat soak (of course) but it's about 25-30hp for the SRT-8. The killer for those with short pit-to-staging-area distances (Sears Point) is the lousy 2-3 start-up shift. Low 13s still occur, but it kills the trap speed by about 3mph or more.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Almost a Member!

V
Once knowing the technique, even with worn F1s, 1.9 60fts are standard, so I guess the answer is no.

Standard psi in the tires, 1/2 to 1/3 tank of gas, get the initial weight-transfer to the rear, then go WOT. It's pretty easy.

The quirks are heat soak (of course) but it's about 25-30hp for the SRT-8. The killer for those with short pit-to-staging-area distances (Sears Point) is the lousy 2-3 start-up shift. Low 13s still occur, but it kills the trap speed by about 3mph or more.
yea it took a coupe of weeks to get used the car , I wanted to run atleast 275 s in the back but I really dont want to roll the fenders
Old 08-07-2008, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by jrcart
I'll make this one short and sweet, just like the races. I'm out last night (1:00am this morning actually) and pull up to a red light and what comes pulling up next to me but a brand new Black Challenger SRT8. You could tell the guy just got it and he was proud as hell, he probably thought he was going to get his first kill with it, looking over at me, staring me down. He gave me the nod and the universal "let's race" signal. It was on, I applied my foot to the brake and revved her up to her sweet spot, the light goes green and we were off...well I was anyways LOL! It was pretty bad, I ran up to about 70 and already had him by 8 cars. We pull up to the next light and the guy askes me "what in the heck kind of a Mercedes is that" and says he botched his launch and wanted to go again but from a roll-on. Knowing that this outcome was going to be even worse for him I kindly said yes and even let him give the 3 honks once we reached 45 mph. HONK, HONK.........HONK! Again it was never a race we ran up to 110 and I got him by 8-10 cars.

Poor guy, at the next stop light he told me he had just picked up the car that afternoon, the car was less than 24 hours new and it was already a loser. I guess he should have picked on a few Mustangs before trying me. It was a very cool looking car, it was the first one I have seen on the street and it appeared to be a very large car.

I call BS........

BS as in Black Series...nice kill!!!

Tom
Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Maybe you know Wayland? You do any track events? He's been interested in a CLK63 BS but not if the break-in wasn't followed....

I'll be sure never to buy a car from someone who doesn't break it in following the owners manual. I think AMG knows what they're doing - what did they recommend?

Of course, maybe AMG recommends what Dodge does for the 6.1, occasional WOT the first 1000 miles, just not in 1st gear.

Too bad the guy 1. Didn't know what a CLK63 was and
2. Probably doesn't know how to properly race his car (not that it would have made more than a 2 CL difference, if that).

BTW, what all was done to get over 500whp to it?
Lucky for you and Wayland the car is not for sale.......break-ins periods are for sissy's. My theory is to beat the living crap out of it for 1000 miles, if something is gonna break, it's gonna break then. That way it gets fixed while under warranty, because NONE of my vehicles go much over 1000 miles without being heavily modded thus voiding the factory warranty. I have yet to have a motor expire on me in the 50-60 cars and motorcycles I have owned over the years, so it must be OK

If you want to know what is done to my car click on the Black Series section of this forum and you can read the Sticky at the top, it's an entire thread with the build up of my car.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RedBull
That's probably the same one I've been seeing around Naperville lately. I'd love to run him, but it's always going the opposite direction.
Is it black with silver stripes? If so he was my victim.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Ever get a chance to mount those slicks in back? I'm sure I am among quite a few waiting to see some numbers once that thing hooks up.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HLG600
Ever get a chance to mount those slicks in back? I'm sure I am among quite a few waiting to see some numbers once that thing hooks up.
The wheels and tires are in, I just have to go pick them up from the shop, I am probally just going to wait and pick them up when they install my Nitrous, everything was ordered last week and it should all be there by tomorrow I was told, but you know how that goes, Monday or Tuesday is probably much more realistic.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
The wheels and tires are in, I just have to go pick them up from the shop, I am probally just going to wait and pick them up when they install my Nitrous, everything was ordered last week and it should all be there by tomorrow I was told, but you know how that goes, Monday or Tuesday is probably much more realistic.
Sounds like you're set...that thing is just begging for some grippy rubber.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK550
Is it black with silver stripes? If so he was my victim.
Nope, just solid black.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:07 PM

2007 Charger srt-8
Yeah Duece is right, not many people know how to handle or make their SRT-8's perform to their max. Like knowing tha the car at 70-80Degrees engine/oil temp produces best times. Also I broke in my Charger srt-8 hard and it actually is fast, When I was bone stock and low milage I took a roushe mustang with 420 hp at 36XX lbs. Compared to my rated 425 hp at 4180lbs. All the little things compare and With a tune/intake/tires and maybe some other minor mods there will be srt-8's that will run neck and neck with your 500whp BS.
Ive also seen stock srt8's dyno anywhere from 355whp to 395whp bone stock, there is lots of variation just like with the 03/04 cobras.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Srt8_Turbo
All the little things compare and With a tune/intake/tires and maybe some other minor mods there will be srt-8's that will run neck and neck with your 500whp BS.
A lot of cars can do that to run neck and neck. Stock vs. Stock... No chance
Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 PM

2007 Charger srt-8
Originally Posted by ApproachingZero
A lot of cars can do that to run neck and neck. Stock vs. Stock... No chance
Yeah then thats how you run into the price range and what class your car is in right?
I could buy a 2008 viper acr for cheaper then a Black series would cost. And it would eat the merc in any aspects of performance where including the look.

Not alot of cars can do that, mustangs cant. Either can a Camaro ss/ws6.

Maybe a 03/04 cobra, but they come force induced already. All depends, but the point of the story is.. not a lot of people know how to run their cars.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Kill

Nice Kill - I luv the question, "What kind of f-ing Mercedes is that???"

How many times do we AMG owners get that one? That is part of the fun. They see a sports sedan like the C-Klasse and figure it's easy meat cause they missed the subtle AMG badge on the **** or they saw it but had noooo idea what it meant, looool Luv it man.

I picked up one of my colleagues at the airport in my modded C32 AMG this week. She says, hey I used to have a C-klasse just like this. I said, oh really? which one was it? She replies, "C230". I say, "Oh, OK, well this one is a little different", lol.

Irish
Old 03-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by JG26_Irish
+1

But seriously, any idiot can tell JRCart's CLK Black Series isn't one to f-around. If you so much as have any interest in cars, if even it's not MB, you'd have to know your not up against your grandpa's 500 SEL.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
Originally Posted by JG26_Irish

How many times do we AMG owners get that one? That is part of the fun. They see a sports sedan like the C-Klasse and figure it's easy meat cause they missed the subtle AMG badge on the **** or they saw it but had noooo idea what it meant, looool Luv it man.

I picked up one of my colleagues at the airport in my modded C32 AMG this week. She says, hey I used to have a C-klasse just like this. I said, oh really? which one was it? She replies, "C230". I say, "Oh, OK, well this one is a little different", lol.

Irish
Should have said, "Oh yea? Well could it do this?" and mashed the go pedal

I was thinking about how cool it woudl be to have a C32, put the sport wheels on it, de-badge it, and put the C230 grill/upright star on it. I actually like the look of the C230, and I dont think too many people would expect it to be fast, even if they knew what to look for.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Manufacturer
I'll never understand why someone would brag so much about beating a $40,000 car with one worth 6-8 times as much. If I was so fortunate to have a CLK63 Black I wouldn't even waste the gas.
I notice that you aren't bragging about running a ZR-1 or even a GTR or ZO6. Many, many, far less expensive cars would beat you worse than you beat the Challenger. Why even mention such a lame "race". Treat other enthusiast's with respect unless they dis' you.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 PM

Yeah then thats how you run into the price range and what class your car is in right?
I could buy a 2008 viper acr for cheaper then a Black series would cost. And it would eat the merc in any aspects of performance where including the look.

Not alot of cars can do that, mustangs cant. Either can a Camaro ss/ws6.

Maybe a 03/04 cobra, but they come force induced already. All depends, but the point of the story is.. not a lot of people know how to run their cars.
You want to live with the viper as a daily?

Does the ACR have heat/cooled/dynamic seats, auto climate control, NAV, bluetooth, Distronitc, pano, 4 doors, and partronic?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by COR Forged
I'll never understand why someone would brag so much about beating a $40,000 car with one worth 6-8 times as much. If I was so fortunate to have a CLK63 Black I wouldn't even waste the gas.
I notice that you aren't bragging about running a ZR-1 or even a GTR or ZO6. Many, many, far less expensive cars would beat you worse than you beat the Challenger. Why even mention such a lame "race". Treat other enthusiast's with respect unless they dis' you.
You forget the part where the driver of the Challenger initiated the race...and we all know JR does not back down from challenges (or Challengers even ). Plus you never know what someone has done as far as modding their cars. A CLK Black stock is not going to take a LOT of cars in a straight line, but his modded one narrows the field considerably.

Your mentality is all about magazine races...real world racing can be quite different especially considering mods.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:56 AM

2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Originally Posted by BelaMeca
at least he lost to a great car!
like those wheels
Old 03-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Banned

SL600
Yeah Duece is right, not many people know how to handle or make their SRT-8's perform to their max. Like knowing tha the car at 70-80Degrees engine/oil temp produces best times. Also I broke in my Charger srt-8 hard and it actually is fast, When I was bone stock and low milage I took a roushe mustang with 420 hp at 36XX lbs. Compared to my rated 425 hp at 4180lbs. All the little things compare and With a tune/intake/tires and maybe some other minor mods there will be srt-8's that will run neck and neck with your 500whp BS.
Ive also seen stock srt8's dyno anywhere from 355whp to 395whp bone stock, there is lots of variation just like with the 03/04 cobras.
Minor mods on an SRT-8? Please... those things are slugs, and no K&N and exhaust system is going to change that.

Here is a Procharged SRT-8 pushing out over 550++WHP... and, according to the description, it barely runs times that rival a bone STOCK E55. 11.9?

And you want to compare a "slightly" modded SRT-8 to JRcart's modded Black Series that ran 11.0?

EDIT: After further research, I've found the FASTEST SRT-8 on the planet... a respectable 11.2, which is still not faster then the Black Series. So clearly, if not even the fastest SRT-8 on the planet can take out JRCart's Black Series, I'm pretty sure that no "lightly-modded" SRT-8 will do the trick. And yes, that SRT-8 is actually a "record-holder"...

Last edited by Akademiks; 03-21-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by COR Forged
A GTR would not beat the Black Series-- especially not in a rolling-start, and not stir up drama but I'm pretty sure a Z06 can't either. Regardless, even if he raced a Z06 and posted the story here lord knows it's going to start a fire. Yeah, I know... the car can't be beat.

And also in regards to SRT-8_Turbo as well, price? Please-- a ricer excuse if I ever heard one. Fact is, and I don't know how many times I've said this, if I really wanted the fastest car on the block, I can very easily pick up a 88' Civic hatchback, strip it, drop a beefed up B16 in there, a couple go-fast bottles of juice, and run 9s all the day at the track-- yes, that's faster then any stock Viper ACR, ZR1, Zonda, BS etc. etc.

And... best part? It'd be for but a FRACTION of the price of any of those.

With that said, I do like my vented seats, navigation, distronic and convertible top, thank you.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:31 AM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by Akademiks
Minor mods on an SRT-8? Please... those things are slugs, and no K&N and exhaust system is going to change that.

Here is a Procharged SRT-8 pushing out over 550++WHP... and, according to the description, it barely runs times that rival a bone STOCK E55. 11.9?

And you want to compare a "slightly" modded SRT-8 to JRcart's modded Black Series that ran 11.0?

EDIT: After further research, I've found the FASTEST SRT-8 on the planet... a respectable 11.2, which is still not faster then the Black Series. So clearly, if not even the fastest SRT-8 on the planet can take out JRCart's Black Series, I'm pretty sure that no "lightly-modded" SRT-8 will do the trick. And yes, that SRT-8 is actually a "record-holder"...
If you want to call a $40k sedan that easily runs low 13s bone stock and tops out a 173mph a slug, go ahead. That would include C5s, E39 M5s, and host of other sloths too.

Or I/E/dyno-tuned running 12s in the 113-114mph range giving pullied C32s a headache a slug, you're entitled to your opinion.

But it's your research that is lacking. 7 SRT-8s in the 10s, an eighth one trapping over 130mph:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/timeslips.php

Not bad considering they weigh 2-tons like FI AMGs but never came FI from the factory.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Akademiks
A GTR would not beat the JRCart's Black Series-- especially not in a rolling-start, and not stir up drama but I'm pretty sure a Z06 can't either. Regardless, even if he raced a Z06 and posted the story here lord knows it's going to start a fire. Yeah, I know... the car can't be beat.
Had to fix that for you as they would beat a stock 63 Black series.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 AM

06 SL65, 08 S550, 08 Range Rover SuperCharged
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
Our Govenor even likes this one! eatts goooot a seax poooint vone litreee Hemmmmi ein it.
If Arnold is driving it, it's likely modded to excess. In the past, he had Guldstrand Engineering mod most of his cars including his Hummer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK 63 BS vs Dodge Challenger SRT8 LOL!