Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Guess I shouldn't brag... M45 kill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E55; '03 E500 Sport
Guess I shouldn't brag... M45 kill

Kind of like taking candy from a baby...but the guy was such an *** I could not let it go. Area is Encinitas/Carlsbad CA area heading inland from the coast highway.

I was on the way home from a pre-op evaluation by my orthopedic surgeon (long story, but my neck and left shoulder are seriously F'ed up from an accident 21 years ago, problems just starting to show up). I was really hurting and not up to racing anything. But this younger dude in a new (no plates) Infiniti M45 kept weaving in/out of traffic on the 4-lane road (Leaucadia Blvd) heading towards my house. The idiot cut me (and several others) off several times as he tried to get to the front of the pack; the road has numerous traffic lights and lots of side roads to slow you down.

Finally, we meet up at a spot where the road opens up to 6 lanes. As luck has it, I am the first car in the center lane, and douchebag is 1st in the far right lane, as we roll up to the (red) light. Just across the intersection, the road necks down quickly to 4, then 2, lanes. It is common for people in the right lane to race across the intersection to beat everyone to the front of the pack as the road narrows.

Of course, DB boy revs it up quite a bit as he waits for the light to change. I cannot resist...no revs, but put my E55 into Sport II mode. Light changes, pedal floored, a bit of wheelspin but by the time we get across the highway intersection and up to the 1st turnoff (maybe 1/8 mile) I am easily 200 YARDS ahead of the victim. I brake quickly back down to the limit (50 or so) and turn off onto my street, and wave as he motors by. No eye contact (by him)...

Should I feel guilty for picking a fight out of my weight class?

Last edited by dbarrym; 09-04-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Well, it is Infinity's top of the line 4 door sedan...so I say good kill.

BTW, from what I have read and experienced, leave the comfort supspension mode on...make sure the tranny mode is sport...and hit your left paddle shift to put the car in 1st. That should be the optimal setting when racing light to light (the comfort suspension [some even raise the car] puts more weight over the rear wheels).
Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
I think that one was over before it started. Just on paper you have at least 170+ hp advantage. Still fun regardless.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by dbarrym
Kind of like taking candy from a baby...but the guy was such an *** I could not let it go. Area is Encinitas/Carlsbad CA area heading inland from the coast highway.

I was on the way home from a pre-op evaluation by my orthopedic surgeon (long story, but my neck and left shoulder are seriously F'ed up from an accident 21 years ago, problems just starting to show up). I was really hurting and not up to racing anything. But this younger dude in a new (no plates) Infiniti M45 kept weaving in/out of traffic on the 4-lane road (Leaucadia Blvd) heading towards my house. The idiot cut me (and several others) off several times as he tried to get to the front of the pack; the road has numerous traffic lights and lots of side roads to slow you down.

Finally, we meet up at a spot where the road opens up to 6 lanes. As luck has it, I am the first car in the center lane, and douchebag is 1st in the far right lane, as we roll up to the (red) light. Just across the intersection, the road necks down quickly to 4, then 2, lanes. It is common for people in the right lane to race across the intersection to beat everyone to the front of the pack as the road narrows.

Of course, DB boy revs it up quite a bit as he waits for the light to change. I cannot resist...no revs, but put my E55 into Sport II mode. Light changes, pedal floored, a bit of wheelspin but by the time we get across the highway intersection and up to the 1st turnoff (maybe 1/8 mile) I am easily 200 YARDS ahead of the victim. I brake quickly back down to the limit (50 or so) and turn off onto my street, and wave as he motors by. No eye contact (by him)...

Should I feel guilty for picking a fight out of my weight class?
Your such a bully!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Should have got in front of him, and drove EXACTLY the speed limit for about five minutes to really tick him off...
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I didn't even want to post this but a couple of months ago, I raced one of these things in my wife's R500. Not sure what year you raced, but the one I killed wasn't the new body but one like this:

Anyway, it was like 4am and I was coming back from work. Don't ask. But he buzzed me on the interstate at about 100mph and I thought to myself "Self: I bet he'd be salty if he lost to this minivan." So, of course I nailed it and caught up to him. We both coasted down to about 80 and he punched it. I gave chase and reeled him in by the time we hit 100. Time after time after time. Must have done it about 5 or 6 times. There was one pull in particular that he got the jump and we both ran flat out until 130 or so. The R-Class is really very stable at that speed. I was white knuckled, but the thing just felt very composed.

The car/truck/minivan/sport tourer hasn't been over 80mph since.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:18 AM

'04 E55; '03 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by Dragoncoach
I think that one was over before it started. Just on paper you have at least 170+ hp advantage. Still fun regardless.
Normally, no guilt at all.

In this case, I agree - he had no chance. As I mentioned, I was hurting and just wanted to "share the pain" with someone. He made it easy...

I also have a highly modified 930 (3.6tt) and a fairly hot Cobra replica, most drivers wouldn't even think of taking them on. But in the AMG, I seem to get a lot of challenges - could be the relatively mild look. I like it.