Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

First contest in a while: My M5 vs. CL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
First contest in a while: My M5 vs. CL55

Got into it with a CL55 leaving Newark on Saturday night. He pulled on to the highway with sound and fury and proceeded down the road at about a 100mph clip. I caught up, we exchanged glances and it was on. I passed him at about 115 and continued to extend pretty well until we both had to slow down at the beginning of an uphill section (lone soccer mom in the left lane). This was not a straight road and I could tell he was certainly peeing himself at some of the moves he had to make to keep up. We both got on it from about 70mph at the beginning of the hill, I figured his torque would help and it did for the first 20mph, but I pulled and pulled hard. We both got off at the same exit, honked and he pulled into the nearest gas station to replace the tank he'd just burned off.

Not sure if his car was modded, it definitely had some 20's that looked like RennTech Mono's. Mine is still bone stock. Another 55k added to the pile.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Nice work. Airmatic+high speed curves is not always a nice feeling. I had a new S6 storm onto the freeway when I was already in the outside lane. He came up about 110, noticed me in the left lane and slowed down. I certainly appreciated the deference, better than the scores of tailgating scheisters in Civics and 335i's.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
The CL's have ABC which is even more ponderous than Airmatic, I would NOT like to be his passenger as they carved sweepers at 130+. The M handled flawlessly without the slightest hint of an issue despite having to throw out the anchor and shed 80+mph twice.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Got into it with a CL55 leaving Newark on Saturday night. He pulled on to the highway with sound and fury and proceeded down the road at about a 100mph clip. I caught up, we exchanged glances and it was on. I passed him at about 115 and continued to extend pretty well until we both had to slow down at the beginning of an uphill section (lone soccer mom in the left lane). This was not a straight road and I could tell he was certainly peeing himself at some of the moves he had to make to keep up. We both got on it from about 70mph at the beginning of the hill, I figured his torque would help and it did for the first 20mph, but I pulled and pulled hard. We both got off at the same exit, honked and he pulled into the nearest gas station to replace the tank he'd just burned off.

Not sure if his car was modded, it definitely had some 20's that looked like RennTech Mono's. Mine is still bone stock. Another 55k added to the pile.

Just adds to what everyone has said concerning these two cars. You got him in your sweet spot for sure.