Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Ford Mustang 427R ... ha!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by 2tonOfun
I thought they were rated at 460 something (crank)?
I believe only the E55 was shown with 469...but was just a marketing ploy as all 55s had the same HP stock (493 IIRC). Healthy stock 55 cars dyno around 410-420 RWHP stock which translates to around the 495-500 mark at the crank. Torque is even higher by about 20-30.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Intake Wrap

Hmmm, I don't get the whole intake wrap thing either. When you said 5 deg gain, I hope you meant that the intake air temps went down by 5 degrees not up, right? Still, it does seem that at least at WOT when the air flow is at its peak the residence time of each cu ft of air flowing thru the intake would be very short thus the heat gain also would be small. I dunno but I have a hard time accepting that the wrap is worth the effort.

Now, we used to wrap our headers to improve exhaust scavenging and to reduce the heat left in the engine bay. That might be worth the effort. For the guy who said that he is not seeing any performance gain in the winter, he is not measuring it precisely enough. I have seen as much as 4 tenths better 1/4 mi times at 45-50 deg ambient temps vs 85-90 deg temps. To me that is a huge differential.

Irish
Old 07-13-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Originally Posted by JG26_Irish
Hmmm, I don't get the whole intake wrap thing either. When you said 5 deg gain, I hope you meant that the intake air temps went down by 5 degrees not up, right? Still, it does seem that at least at WOT when the air flow is at its peak the residence time of each cu ft of air flowing thru the intake would be very short thus the heat gain also would be small. I dunno but I have a hard time accepting that the wrap is worth the effort.

Now, we used to wrap our headers to improve exhaust scavenging and to reduce the heat left in the engine bay. That might be worth the effort. For the guy who said that he is not seeing any performance gain in the winter, he is not measuring it precisely enough. I have seen as much as 4 tenths better 1/4 mi times at 45-50 deg ambient temps vs 85-90 deg temps. To me that is a huge differential.

Irish
yeah, i would think that the flow rate of the incoming air would be too fast to actually heat soak (at full boogie).

those header wrap materials i was to understand actually retains the heat (for better exhaust scavenging thru the header primaries). i'd think you'd need to get a temp reading from inside the tubes to see how effective the wrap was. also, wouldn't reflective heat wrap work better?