Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Tesla EV Roadster Sport vs AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Tesla EV Roadster Sport vs AMG

Note to admins and readers, this is not really a kill story but a comparison of the Tesla to my AMG and seemed a good place to post the story.

Just got back from a trip to Germany. While there I got to test the first (in Europe) Tesla Roadster Sport "Carbon" model of the electric Tesla EV car. 288hp, 0-60mph in 3.7 seconds. It would make a killer auto-x car.

https://www.teslamotors.com/display_...rdsAutoArticle

The original Tesla was clocked at 0-60 in 4.1 sec and 1/4mi in 13.2 @103 mph (Car and Driver). That is on par with my AMG (modded C32 clocked at 13.2 ET @ 104 mph). The one I got to test has about 40 more hp and is a little bit lighter. We did not get to clock it in the 1/4 but it is Waaaaaay quicker than my AMG, which I have personally timed at 0-60 in 4.5 sec and 0-100 in ~12 sec or so. Butt dynos are not very accurate but if I had to guess, I would place the new Tesla in about a mid to low 12 sec range. It was faster than the 500hp big block corvette that I drove about a year ago and is easily the hardest accellerating car I have ever experienced personally. The experience was much closer to liter-bike sportbike like accelleration but without all the noise and gearchanges. Once, we were rolling along at about 80 mph and punched it and it just pinned us to the seat.

Yeah it is waay too costly but I still want one or something like it. With the direct drive, nearly all the hp is transmitted straight to the wheels. All of the torque is available at zero rpm. This makes it feel stronger than the horsepower numbers would lead one to expect, since you do not have to wait for the rpm's to build before the real accelleration takes place. I have tested other EV's in the past and that is normal. A 100 hp EV feels accellerates like it has a 200 hp gasoline engine in every way except the top end speed potential since that is still horsepower limited. All in all the Tesla still got 2-thumbs up by me. It is not perfect but a really good step forward.

Irish
Old 09-19-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charger SRT-8
Interesting, I'm supposed to drive the new Sport myself. I've seen the standard Tesla run 12.9s @ 105mph or so at Sears Point.

They say the mid-range is fantastic in the car but top-end is where it tapers off. A C6Z should have no problem with it.

I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
EV's

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Interesting, I'm supposed to drive the new Sport myself. I've seen the standard Tesla run 12.9s @ 105mph or so at Sears Point.

They say the mid-range is fantastic in the car but top-end is where it tapers off. A C6Z should have no problem with it.

I'm looking forward to it.
After your test drive, you might post your opinion & impressions as well. I understand that it is top speed governed at 200 kph (~125mph). We did not get it much above 100 in our short test run. All, I can say is that it gets there pretty quickly, lol. Another item that I forget is that other than the temperature effects on the battery, the altitude or humidity or ambient temperature has no effect on horsepower output or performance, like it does on internal combustion engines. I would not expect a C6Z to have any trouble taming one but it will still need to be quick on the trigger just cause the EV was most impressive from 0-60 and it hooked up great. The ZR1 has issues getting all of its power to the ground on all but the most tacky surfaces. My buddy who is a professional driver, was barely able to squeeze a 12.25 out of one but it was cold and the track surface with the cold pavement made it impossible to use full throttle without getting wheelspin until he was in 3rd gear and past the 1/8th mi pole. I'm sure it would be better a a more carefully prepped track as well as one that was closer to sea level.

We saw a Porsche 911 EV that was on display but did not get to drive it and I know nothing about its specs.

Irish
Old 09-23-2009, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i believe it considering it has 100% tq at 0 rpm. They were gonna make it a two gear system to decrease the 0-60 time but all the tq kepted breaking the tranny so they settled for a wider single gear system.