Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Corvette vs S55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Corvette vs S55

This isn't really a race, as much as it is an experience!

I was on the highway cruising in my S55 AMG (354hp, N/A Engine), and I see this Audi S4 going kind of fast, so I follow it and see if he wants to play a bit. I accelerate, and let off, but no go.

As I drop back down to around 55mph or so, I hear this immense noise and see this Corvette zoom past me at 100mph+. I give chase.

First, amazing noise! I believe it had some type of different exhaust, because I could hear it from far away - and when I was 200 feet behind it, the interior of my car would even shake a bit! It was really an awesome sound. It looked like one of the newer ones, forgive me but I am not completely up on all of the models, I just know the newer body style changes from recent.

When we accelerated, he obviously pulled on me consistently- but it wasn't ridiculously hard so I don't think it was one of the faster Corvettes like the Z06, and I was able to keep pace with him. (Read: When he accelerated, I would drop back but it wasn't an insane gap.)

It was really fun! I was happy with my S55 - obviously I would never beat him in a race, but it wasn't embarrassingly slower. Overall, what a fun feeling! That exhaust was really exciting and made my heart pound.

I am not even sure of the supercharged S55 would be able to take him - probably would need something lighter.

Ha, what an exhaust though! When it was over, I was so far up from my exit on the highway that I didn't even know where I was!

Before I had also gone up against a Volkswagen R32 Golf - those are pretty interesting as well. From a roll I was able to consistently take him - but it's a nice sounding and handling car. I read the specs, and the quarter mile time is a bit slower than my S55 so it makes sense that I would pull on him from a roll on the highway.

Last edited by rondocap; 01-26-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
[QUOTE=rondocap;3912287
I am not even sure of the supercharged S55 would be able to take him - probably would need something lighter.

Ha, what an exhaust though! When it was over, I was so far up from my exit on the highway that I didn't even know where I was!

Before I had also gone up against a Volkswagen R32 Golf - those are pretty interesting as well. From a roll I was able to consistently take him - but it's a nice sounding and handling car. I read the specs, and the quarter mile time is a bit slower than my S55 so it makes sense that I would pull on him from a roll on the highway.[/QUOTE]

Lighter no, just something with a tt V12 in it will take car of regular c6 vettes. Z06 and ZR1 are versions that no benz other than the SLR is going to scare if the vette driver's good...

-Rob
Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Heh, yeah - I reckon an a 65 engine of some sort would have done well against the C6. How much faster would a Z06 or Zr1 be than a 65? There are a few videos on here, but I guess it's not always optimal conditions.

The vette had a glorious exhaust sound - but my favorite is still probably a stock SL63 sound I heard on the highway. I guess because you don't expect it to make that type of sound, whereas with the vette you expect it!

Last edited by rondocap; 01-27-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: a