Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

68 Corvette vs CHP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2023 GLE 53
68 Corvette vs CHP

My highest compliments to Ingenere for a great story. He's prompted at least one other like story, and now mine as well.

Early 70s, my built 68 Corvette with a 454 LS7 specs, Guldstrand suspension Semi custom bodywork etc. The road, PCH between Malibu and Zuma. Driving north and making major triple digits on a clear afternoon. When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a tiny spec of a red light way way way back. Thought of outrunning, but the road has no turnoffs. So it was either a fire vehicle, or the infamous Dodge 440. Slowed down until I could be certain, and sure enough, the 440...still way way back.

I pulled off, and waited, and waited for what seemed an eternity. He roared up, skidded to halt behind me, steam and smoke from his eyes, and from under his hood.

Just as he came around the driver's door, a LA County Sheriff pulls in, lights and siren from the other direction, blocking me in. Motorola at work.

The CHP began reading me the riot act, and the sheriff just stood back. Finally, he walked over and said to the CHP, "having a little trouble with your car?" Then to me, hey, nice car, what are you running in it?

Situation somewhat defused with internecine rivalry, and car talk.

Got the ticket, 93 in a 65, saw the judge in Malibu, paid the fine, and none the worse for wear. The look on the CHP's face when his car was maligned....priceless.

Thanks again Ingenere, I had forgotten this sin from my youth!