Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

04 CLK55 vs 135i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 CLK55 vs 135i

A drive along on Memorial Drive (in Mexico) got a little interesting last Sat night when a 135i convertible decided to play. I passed him as he was taking a right onto Memorial off the 610 feeder road. I saw his headlights closing in very quickly. He was 200 yards behind me when I punched it and the distance between us remained the same. We both slowed down due to a slow car in front of us (2 lanes merging into 1). Both of us got pole position at the next light, I got him off the line due to the 5.4's torque advantage (maybe 1/2 car) but slowed down again due to light traffic (we were not going to weave in and out even in light traffic). We decided to run from 30 mph to around 80 mph; dead even (both of us had our tops down). I talked to guy in the 135i (debadged) and he was very German (thick accent) and obviously liked catching cars off guard. Waved good bye and went our separate ways. 135i is a quick; I have a feeling that the turbo would have eventually passed me at higher rpms. Good run but this reminds me that I need to get a faster car!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:48 PM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by hrothgar02
He was 200 yards behind me when I punched it and the distance between us remained the same.
Jeeze, I'm surprised you knew what it was that far back.

I have a feeling that the turbo would have eventually passed me at higher rpms. Good run but this reminds me that I need to get a faster car!
No, you were probably in his sweet spots with gearing but you would have pulled on him as the speeds got higher assuming his little stock turbos were at stock boost levels. The 'verts are about 250-300lbs heavier than the coupes too.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:07 PM

The only way I knew it was a 135i was how fast he was reeling me in when I was plodding along at 50 mph. I was a good distance ahead when he took a right and accelerated to catch up with me (I just saw his HID's getting brighter and closer really really quickly).

Just did the research and found out that the 135i convertible is 3660lbs. Wow that's chunky for a small car; I thought it was around 3200 lbs. My car weights in at 3960 lbs. Interesting. I am now curious to see what would have happened if we ran to triple digit speeds.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
600 SWB
My 135i is pretty quick. In fact, a friend who has driven both my BMW and CL600TT thinks it has more torque but in reality its only 421 lb.ft. vs. 612. Maybe its the DINAN Stage 2 chip that I have in the 135i giving it more torque and 384 Hp.