Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

SL600 vs Convertible Viper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
SL600 vs Convertible Viper

I was playing with a convertible black Viper w/ LED strips under the headlamps. I usually don't even mess around on public streets, but my adrenaline and pride got the better of me.

Goes like this:

Cruising around 70MPH, when I see what looks like Dodge Stealth headlights pulling up on me fast, real fast. I then notice the LED strips, but didn't think much of it, since I figured it was a Stealth, and not even worth my fuel. Then it darts out to my right, and pulls even with me. Then I see and hear it.... and man, does it sound glorious. He 'romp romp's' it a few times and moves over another lane to his right. Now, it's VERY rare for someone to challenge me in the SL. Not sure why, but its been a few Civics feeling froggy, a 360 Modena, and handful of ///M cars, that I usually make very light work out of, and shut it down early. But this Viper was different. It was gorgeous, sounded amazing, and seemed like a good barometer for my ole' FreinkenMissle. Game on:

I shift down two gears just so he knows I'm game, he responds with the same. I look over, give him the thumbs up, and BAM....he hits the loud pedal. I follow suit, but it took me a good while to reel him in. I'm not used to this, this cannot happen. The few times I've played around with other cars, it's been a Tyson-Spinx 1-2 combo and, it's lights out for them. Ok Mr. Viper, you have my attention. I finally pull even, and get around him for the win. He ends up behind me but breaks formation whenever he can, to pull up and have another go at me. We did this 4 times, reaching speeds just a tick or two over the posted 65mph speed limit. But happy to say, the SL punched back, and never got a view of the tail lights of that gorgeous Viper. He can't say the same. He's acutely aware of what my vanity plate reads. That Viper was fast....real fast. I've raced a few at the track, and really laid the beat down on them. I'm guessing it was traction issues or driver skill those days. But these were 60mph roll-ons.....not much to mess up there.

After we were done, we rode side by side for a mile or so, chatting. Poor guy even lost his hat while we were talking. We complimented each others rides, and he pulled off on to his exit.

Both cars performed brilliantly, and seemed very VERY even on the long pulls.

I've already given myself a "talkin' to" about my antics, but it was a weak moment for me.

Oddly enough, a gorgeous S63 pulled up beside me not more than 2 minutes after. I'm guessing we probably buzzed him during one of our jaunts. He tried me too, but I made light work of that car. He gave it a go 3 times, but it became apparent to him very quickly, that he was no match for me. He and his girlfriend gave me the thumbs, and the bow, I returned the gesture, and I got off my exit.

Got home, popped the hood, and let her relax for 3 hours before tucking her into bed.

Drove it to work this morning.....never got over 40mph.

God, I love this car.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
Great story, thanks for posting. Sounds like your mods have made your SL even more formidable than it was from the factory. The new 5.5 twin turbo 63 with performance pack would likley put up a better fight in the lighter E with its new transmission, but looking at your times they would likely be taken care of too. Impressive. Only thing I'm not sure of is the size of your rims, they look way big.

One question, convertible Viper and guy with a hat - was the guy bald by chance?

Make it two questions-have you tuned your Range Rover? With the SC you may get some good gains.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nstar
Great story, thanks for posting. Sounds like your mods have made your SL even more formidable than it was from the factory. The new 5.5 twin turbo 63 with performance pack would likley put up a better fight in the lighter E with its new transmission, but looking at your times they would likely be taken care of too. Impressive. Only thing I'm not sure of is the size of your rims, they look way big.

One question, convertible Viper and guy with a hat - was the guy bald by chance?

Make it two questions-have you tuned your Range Rover? With the SC you may get some good gains.

Thanks. Yeah, unless I'm racing someone that dips into the 10's, I'm normally on the right side of that race.

Viper guy, was either bald, or very short hair. Looked to be a light skinned brother or of hispanic heritage. We chatted a bit after we slowed down to non-ludicrous speeds and he seemed completely cool. My guess is he was quite perplexed at what took place. I highly doubt he doesn't just pull away from most cars on the street. Same here. There was a mutual respect thing going on....

The Rover is stock. I've thought about it, but since it's the wifey's, I've decided to let it be.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:38 PM

08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
1Thanks. Yeah, unless I'm racing someone that dips into the 10's, I'm normally on the right side of that race.

2Viper guy, was either bald, or very short hair. Looked to be a light skinned brother or of hispanic heritage. We chatted a bit after we slowed down to non-ludicrous speeds and he seemed completely cool. My guess is he was quite perplexed at what took place. I highly doubt he doesn't just pull away from most cars on the street. Same here. There was a mutual respect thing going on....

3The Rover is stock. I've thought about it, but since it's the wifey's, I've decided to let it be.
1. You're welcome and again, that is one seriously fast car. Even better that it's a luxurious street car into the bargain. I really miss my SL (drunk driver), they are beautiful.

2. It's great when someone is cool and doesn't get angry/dangerous during what is meant to be a fun thing. That's when you can if they are a true enthusiast or just a poser.

3. You sound like a wise man. I've been trying to get some off-road goodies for the Land Rover but I've been warned to stay well away.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

She can certainly open some eyes when I flex my right calf. I love eating ///M(Anything) the most. M5 owners tend to think their cars are fast.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 PM

03 SL55 AMG
M5 owners tend to think their cars are fast.
Nice run. But hey man, we're aren't exactly slow either. I've personally kept up with a Lambo Gallardo Egear 500 hp without much issues and pulled a Gallardo Spyder.

Not the LP560. Don't forget, you're tuned. I'm stock with only charcoal filter delete.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I was playing with a convertible black Viper w/ LED strips under the headlamps. I usually don't even mess around on public streets, but my adrenaline and pride got the better of me.

Goes like this:

Cruising around 70MPH, when I see what looks like Dodge Stealth headlights pulling up on me fast, real fast. I then notice the LED strips, but didn't think much of it, since I figured it was a Stealth, and not even worth my fuel. Then it darts out to my right, and pulls even with me. Then I see and hear it.... and man, does it sound glorious. He 'romp romp's' it a few times and moves over another lane to his right. Now, it's VERY rare for someone to challenge me in the SL. Not sure why, but its been a few Civics feeling froggy, a 360 Modena, and handful of ///M cars, that I usually make very light work out of, and shut it down early. But this Viper was different. It was gorgeous, sounded amazing, and seemed like a good barometer for my ole' FreinkenMissle. Game on:

I shift down two gears just so he knows I'm game, he responds with the same. I look over, give him the thumbs up, and BAM....he hits the loud pedal. I follow suit, but it took me a good while to reel him in. I'm not used to this, this cannot happen. The few times I've played around with other cars, it's been a Tyson-Spinx 1-2 combo and, it's lights out for them. Ok Mr. Viper, you have my attention. I finally pull even, and get around him for the win. He ends up behind me but breaks formation whenever he can, to pull up and have another go at me. We did this 4 times, reaching speeds just a tick or two over the posted 65mph speed limit. But happy to say, the SL punched back, and never got a view of the tail lights of that gorgeous Viper. He can't say the same. He's acutely aware of what my vanity plate reads. That Viper was fast....real fast. I've raced a few at the track, and really laid the beat down on them. I'm guessing it was traction issues or driver skill those days. But these were 60mph roll-ons.....not much to mess up there.

After we were done, we rode side by side for a mile or so, chatting. Poor guy even lost his hat while we were talking. We complimented each others rides, and he pulled off on to his exit.

Both cars performed brilliantly, and seemed very VERY even on the long pulls.

I've already given myself a "talkin' to" about my antics, but it was a weak moment for me.

Oddly enough, a gorgeous S63 pulled up beside me not more than 2 minutes after. I'm guessing we probably buzzed him during one of our jaunts. He tried me too, but I made light work of that car. He gave it a go 3 times, but it became apparent to him very quickly, that he was no match for me. He and his girlfriend gave me the thumbs, and the bow, I returned the gesture, and I got off my exit.

Got home, popped the hood, and let her relax for 3 hours before tucking her into bed.

Drove it to work this morning.....never got over 40mph.

God, I love this car.
Nice Homey Did you figure out what year it was and if he had any mods. You can almost guarentee that Vipers are not going to be stock which makes for the best adrenaline rushes

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Nice Homey Did you figure out what year it was and if he had any mods. You can almost guarentee that Vipers are not going to be stock which makes for the best adrenaline rushes
I've been searching the forums for the guy, but can't find him. I'd love to read his version of the story.

I don't goof around on the street much, but I promise you that I've never had a car stay with me that long.

I think it was an SRT...do they have some sort of badging on the front fender? I vaguely remember something there.....
Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Well, they do but it could have been a 2008 which is 600hp from the factory. It could also have been an earlier y2k model with cai, full exhaust and tune. Hard to say but when I had my old e55 stage two, it also struggled to pull on a viper from a roll. You did well bro.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:53 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
A gen3 with some mods sounds about right. A gen 4 stock would prolly be more than you can handle... They do trap low 130

Btw, statistically most vipers have aftermarket exhaust. Very few have anything more serious and they are usually very fast when they do.

Last edited by alx; 11-19-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
SLK55 AMG - Renntech Supercharged
This thread will likely cause me to trade in my Crossfire. Nice kill.