Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Older SL 500 (1999 R129) vs Older Mustang

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Older SL 500 (1999 R129) vs Older Mustang

We have owned our 1999 SL 500 since Dec 2002.

Our first "kill". I'm so proud.

We pulled up at a red light next to a Mustang.

The Mustang? I'm not sure.

It had the same custumary throaty sound that must be a V8. The body style was the one Mel Gibson drove down a flight of stairs in Lethal Weapon.

Off a stop light, two lanes leading into a single freeway merge lane.

I calmly turned off my ESP and commented to my wife that I might need as much torque as possible. She had no idea what I was talking about.

Even R129's are not that common around here ... so I don't think this Mustang driver (a singel occupant) expected much from us.

The sound of his motor reving in the back ground as we pulled away, the chirp from his manual shift into second, confirmed he was going for it.

Too bad. I was 2 car legths ahead of him by the time we hit 50 or 60 mph and I merged ahead of him.

In the rear view mirror, he seemed to be a bit peaved.

Once on the freeway, I shifted lanes to the right, into a very long exit lane and passed a few dozen cars while he was stuck in the left hand fast lane behind traffic.

The only reason the audio speed and accelerator warning sytem did not engage ... is that my wife absolutly hates Mustangs and the racket they make proweling arround the streets.

Old 08-16-2003, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks pretty fun. Pretty soon your wife's going to want to race a few too. Every time you're at a light next to a Mustang, you two'll be fighting over who gets to drive.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Re: Older SL 500 (1999 R129) vs Older Mustang

Originally posted by ChrisB

The only reason the audio speed and accelerator warning sytem did not engage ... is that my wife absolutly hates Mustangs and the racket they make proweling arround the streets.

Damn I wish I could turn off my audio nagging device next to me when I race people!!!