Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

928 S4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 10:21 PM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
928 S4

I did a little search and didn't see anyone ever run with a 928 S4, so I thought I would share this.

Saw a nice looking example on the expressway, so I did a little C32 flyby to get things started. Next light I made room for him to have the next lane and waited for full green. I gave the old king the honors, and let him decide to go or not, no burnout but a quick rolling start for him, I was feathering the throttle a little, waiting... his first gear seemed to be over quickly and at first I thought he wouldn't even go, then his 1-2 shift (very slow) and I actually let off a bit, then once fully into second he he slams it and off he goes. I followed suit and stayed off his rear quarter panel, he was going VERY well, but the C32 had no problem staying exactly with him. We went to maybe 85 neither gaining an inch. Thumbs up.

I looked at the specs for this old master and apparently the 0-60 vary a lot between manual/auto and year to year. Specs show times slower than C32s, but what had me puzzled was that 1-2 shift. Was he a bad driver? Anyway with a little research I found that apparently the 928S4 came with a 5 speed manual, but the 1-2 is a through-the-gate shift rather than being a straight-shot. Maybe that explains why the Porsche has just so-so 0-60 but was known for its top end capability. The way we raced let him have all the edge and we were even. If I had wanted to spank him it would have been a pretty sure thing. I was more interested in seeing what that other car could do, than embarassing anyone. You got to give a nod to that nice 928S4.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
928s4

i've owned 928's in the past and from what i've seen, 95% of the 928S4's are auto. w/ rare exception, they're mostly the 4sp auto. there's a chance you found a 928GT(rare for 1989 to 1991), and even then it's 320ish hp for a 3600 lb car. unless it's chipped or a strong driver, the C32 should kick some serious butt.

overall, i enjoyed the 928s, but if i were getting another one, i'd get a 928GTS from 1993 to 1995...trouble is very few out there. also, no matter how you look at it...it's a chassis from 1979. if one wants a sports car, i think the older porsches are still great as are the newer ones. if one wants a GT cruiser, however, i think there are many more options to choose from that are more comfortable and less expensive to maintain, imho.