Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

SL55 vs Nevada!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
SL55 vs Nevada!!

This isn't quite a 'kill' story per se...but interesting non the less.

My SL55 has had some ECU work done and is derestricted with a bit more hp/torque....also wheels and tires to handle the speed and the weight of the car.

On the way to the Monterey Historic races this year I decided to take the SL through the deserts of Nevada. If you have ever driven them...they literally go for as far as the eye can see and are straight as an arrow, and have zero traffic.....the perfect place for a derestricted SL55!

I have owned alot of cars and I have to say that this Merc is quite the beast. It was still pulling quite hard at 185...and topped out at just over 200. Since speedo 'only' goes to 200...I can only estimate...202-205 was the number. Pretty amazing stuff. It was so undramatic at high speed that I reached down and turned on the seat heaters and massage!

The speedo is acurate as I have checked it with mile markers and a chronometer. AMG rules!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
The SL 55 is a nice car but out of all those cars I rather drive the Ferrari F40 :v instead of the SL 55 ....I like to hear more story about the F40 .......Well, anyway have a nice day!!
Old 08-18-2004, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS
The SL 55 is a nice car but out of all those cars I rather drive the Ferrari F40 :v instead of the SL 55 ....I like to hear more story about the F40 .......Well, anyway have a nice day!!

Well....since this was a Merc site, I thought that a Merc story would be appropriate. There are alot of F40 stories....many a surprised superbike that lost to the F40...the plethora of Mustangs, Porsches and Vettes that went home with their *****' firmly (or softly) curled between their legs...redline in 5th gear (same stretch of Nevada road)...201.

Every drive in the F40 is an event...an occasion...whether to the grocery store or the race track, it is supremely drivable. But I have to say...the SL55 isn't far off the pace of the F40....and it has carpets, radio, GPS, and seat heaters...but the F40 truly is the best driver's car that I have had the pleasure of owning.