Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Won against a 530i!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2004 | 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Won against a 530i!!

Last weekend a friend of mine decided to have a bit of fun by racing each other down this road known as "Eagle on the Hill" in Adelaide. It's fairly windy and goes up the hill. It's dual lanes for the most part. It's also fairly deserted as a newer highway was built a few years ago.

We started of from the bottom of the hill. To get into the EOTH entrance you have to start from a 4 lane highway and then take a left single lane exit (we drive on the left side here). We were both cruising at 100kmh on the highway. Around 500m from the entrance the 530i punched it and took me by surprise, that *******. He got into the entrance first and took lead. I followed him closely in the first tight turn known as "The Devil's Elbow", we dropped speed from 100kmh to 40kmh very rapidly. It's all single lane until after the 2nd turn so I had to stay close.

We entered the 2nd turn around 75kmh and he took the inner lane, I stayed center. The 3rd turn came up very quickly and I managed to sneak in there. He backed up quite severly due to my aggresive driving. Our speed dropped from 80kmh to 50kmh within seconds.

I floored it coming out of the 3rd, and as I moving to the centre he had already come up on my left and was at my mid point. I knew he had me there. I couldn't turn left to take the inside lane and he had it. As we were entering the 4th turn I had to back off or I would be forced on the other opposite lane which could be suicidal. He pulled away from me at the 4th turn. After that the turns became easy and there was just no opportunity for me to take him. He won on the up hill run.

DOWN HILL RUN

Before we began the down hill run we rested our cars for 20 or so mins. The smell of our heated brake pads was awesome!

This time we entered at around 110kmh. He once again had the jump on me. Entering turn 10 I managed to close the gap to about 1/2 a car length. We decelerated from 110 to 60. He went wide and I managed to maintain the inside lane but he turned in very aggresively and I just chickened out so he maintained his lead.

Turn 9 came almost immediately. As he braked, I pulled to the right and did not brake, I flew past him but the barrier came up frighteningly quick..I tapped medium on the brakes, dropped to 3rd and accelerated. I must have panicked as my car was swaying left and right as I attempted to straightened it. The 530 tried to take advantage of the situation as he positioned himself high right as we approached turn 8. I thought he was going to get me there. I expected him to come in the centre and did what I did, take the turn with little brakes and pull away. I saw him pulling up to me on my right and as I took the inner lane and braked he kept going. I didnt know what happened but the next time I checked he was right behind me again and he was swaying all over the place.

From that point he kept 2 car lengths from me. I thought something must have rattled him. Anyway, I considered myself the winner going down hill. We approached turned one at around 90kmh. I had to press hard on the brake as I was about to enter the Devils Elbow...this was the scariest part of my ride...my ABS kicked in and the whole car just shook...it was safe...but i wasn't expecting the ABS to kick in..i just eased of on the brakes dropped to 2nd and swung it around nicely to come out.

I asked my friend what happened at 8. Apparently he understeered and was not pulling left fast enough, then when he tried to correct it he oversteered and was heading towards the barriers. This frightened him severely and he backed off the rest of the way to calm his nerves.

I may have been a bit dramatic with my description..but it just relflects the feeling I had at that time. It was awesome. It wasn't that dangerous and we had plenty of road to recover if we got ourselves into trouble. I just love going down hill and pulling those g's in those turns... Will have to get the brake pads checked out though..they smelled really bad lol....

That 530i has a bit of punch compared to my E320...nevertheless...I got him and that's a kill...1-1

MAP

You get to Turn 1 coming in from the left, thats why you have to do a hard U-turn (known as the Devils Elbow) at Turn 1.

Last edited by Le Burpor; 11-15-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-15-2004 | 11:34 AM

C32, M3 SMG, VR-4, MR-S
What Model?

Is it a E39 or E60?
Old 11-15-2004 | 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
E60..the new one.
Old 11-15-2004 | 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
Old 11-16-2004 | 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Le Burpor
E60..the new one.
The way you described your race your problem is your driving abilities not your car.

Last edited by Belmondo; 11-16-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2004 | 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Originally Posted by Belmondo
The way you described your race your problem is your driving abilities not your car.
I never blamed the car but if I'm not mistaken the 530i performs better than the E320 anyway. I'll have to relook at the tech specs..

You sound like my wife...she complains about my driving ability
Old 11-20-2004 | 01:07 AM

ML350 '06
Thanks for sharing the map! Made it more clear and that route sounds like a blast!

Nick
Old 11-20-2004 | 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally Posted by Le Burpor
I never blamed the car but if I'm not mistaken the 530i performs better than the E320 anyway. I'll have to relook at the tech specs..
Not according to Road & Track's V6 sedan shootout (see the review pages of the E320 and 530i, as well as the chart at the end):

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1

Old 11-20-2004 | 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by mbakshi
Not according to Road & Track's V6 sedan shootout (see the review pages of the E320 and 530i, as well as the chart at the end):

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1

it says the 530i is quicker than the E320
Old 11-20-2004 | 09:45 AM

2005 bnEnz ~2003 X5 ~ 2004 sUzki gSxR ~ (have an order on a 06 BmW m3)
ill come by someday & see if ur e can keep up wit my m3
Old 11-20-2004 | 10:36 AM

BMW's suck..my 320 can take them on. SUPERCHARGED 336HP
Old 11-20-2004 | 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally Posted by reggid
it says the 530i is quicker than the E320
Here's the part about the 530i:

6th Place — BMW 530i
541.5 points

Here was the surprise of the bunch. Usually we go into these comparisons with half an expectation that the BMW (of whatever series), with its sporting pedigree, will end up somewhere near the top of the heap — if not first — but the 530i didn't engender that level of enthusiasm.
A couple of factors brought it down in points. First was price; as tested, at $54,120, it's the most expensive car here by nearly $4000 (ahead of the Mercedes) and it's nearly $20,000 more expensive than the Chrysler 300. It also finished last in ergonomics and exterior style.

Most of the ergonomic complaints focus, predictably, on the recently simplified but still distracting iDrive accessory control system, about which much has been written already. Our Tech Editor said the system might have been designed for people "who like to study something, then lord it over their pals." In any case, the inability to get what you want, when you want it, out of the sound and climate controls is a constant irritant, and people don't buy cars in this class to be irritated. They have computers at home for that.

Most also found the detent-less turn-signal stalk disconcerting. When you flick it up or down, you are always left wondering if it "took" or shut itself off. Or if it will shut itself off. It's a lost tactile link to a normally simple control, but maybe you get used to it.

And the styling? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but these seven staff beholders found the BMW the least appealing of the group. It seemed to be the rear-deck treatment that came in for criticism, along with the dragon's-eye headlight surrounds, which one editor noted had a distinctly Japanese "Samurai-inspired" look. It may be that this car isn't so bad-looking as "un-BMW-like," as one editor put it. Maybe familiarity will gradually breed admiration.

Now, let us turn to the 530i's virtues, which are several. On the dynamic level, it came out very well. In our subjective ratings, it placed second in handling, steering, brakes, gearbox and driving excitement. It was also second in grip on the skidpad, just behind the Mercedes and tied with the Cadillac, Audi and Jaguar. It also tied two other cars for second-best fuel mileage in our driving.

Surprisingly, the BMW also managed third fastest in 0-60 and quarter-mile times, even though its turbine-smooth 3.0-liter inline-6 is rated fifth in horsepower and lowest in torque of the seven cars. The engine doesn't have quite the zap you feel in the lighter 3 Series cars, but it is still a very sweet-running unit, and it loves to rev. It works nicely in concert with the 6-speed Steptronic transmission to keep the power down on a winding road, and the chassis cooperates by providing a confidence-inspiring ability to handle undulations and bumps without losing its footing.

Speed-sensitive, variable-assist power steering allows you to knife through corners with little effort, but it doesn't have quite the direct mechanical feel we are used to in the 3 Series cars. The 530i feels massively competent, but a little more insulated from the road than its smaller brother. In this respect, it almost seems to have switched roles with the Mercedes E320, which is decidedly quick and sporty-feeling for a Benz.

Some found the BMW's interior a bit severe and industrial in design, but it is still beautifully finished and richly detailed, with a pleasant mixture of wood trim and sharply defined shapes. The 530i's seats are also among the best in the group, adjustable to provide glovelike comfort with excellent wing and bolster support to hold you in place for fast driving. It's a comfortable ****pit.

Overall, the BMW is guilty only of giving you, perhaps, more than you want rather than less, its complexity tending to mask the traditional BMW virtues of lightness and sports-car-like feedback to the driver. The emphasis here is on luxury.
Here's their take on the E320:

2nd Place — Mercedes-Benz E320
553.6 points

This comparison was full of surprises, and none more pleasant than the E320 Mercedes. In many of our past comparison tests, the Mercedes entry has typically been a car of vaultlike quality, high finish and plush, safe handling, but rather serious and purposeful in nature, without much sense of élan. Athletic but reserved, like a German businessman who can easily be taught to do the Twist, but doesn't really want to. This one breaks the mold and is genuinely fun to drive, while still retaining its depth of engineering excellence.
It may be the steering you notice first. It's light and quick — the car can slice down a winding road with just your fingertips on the wheel — and turns in accurately with a feeling of bite from the front tires. The well-snubbed suspension quickly takes a set and holds the car on line with effortless grip. No matter how hard you push, the E320 is unflustered by rises, dips and other sudden transitions in the road, always remaining flat and level while soaking up irregularities in the pavement. Ride is slightly firm, but still compliant and comfortable on the highway. Overall, it feels wide, low, well damped and solid. Fast trips down the road are encouraged by the pleasantly guttural 3.2-liter V-6, which produces very broad midrange torque — if not stunning top-end horsepower — and an easy-shifting 5-speed automatic that can be toggled back and forth with an instinctive (i.e., no-brainer) motion to change gears in the manual mode. You always get the gear you want, with immediate engine braking. The brakes themselves are strong and linear, with a reassuring firmness at the pedal — followed by a minimum of dive in the suspension. Dynamically, the car cooperates quickly and positively with your wishes.

And it does this while you sit in a nicely finished and rich interior. Door panels and the subtly curved dash are elegantly finished with wood trim, the leather seats are comfortable and supportive and the conventional round gauges are easy to read. Control stalks have a high-quality feel, and, as one driver noted, "There's a feeling that all the controls are damped with a thick, viscous fluid — steering, suspension, even shifts."

Nearly all of us thought the car was fresh-looking and handsome — it finished a close second to the Jaguar in styling points, and first in interior styling — but also felt that it has a sophisticated dignity of line that will still look good years from now. More than that, it's fun to drive, and in the succinct summary opinion of our Senior Editor, "Utterly capable."
And here's the results chart at the end:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....page_number=11

The 530i has a slight edge on the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times (they don't give the actual numbers), but I would say (and they conclude) that that's made up for by what they felt was the E320's superiority in all the other aspects.
Old 11-20-2004 | 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Originally Posted by ItalBenz
ill come by someday & see if ur e can keep up wit my m3

no way... lol...
Old 11-20-2004 | 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Originally Posted by Nickerz
Thanks for sharing the map! Made it more clear and that route sounds like a blast!

Nick
Glad you ejoyed the story. Going up there again today and will take pics of the turns
Old 11-20-2004 | 07:02 PM

The 530i has a slight edge on the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times (they don't give the actual numbers), but I would say (and they conclude) that that's made up for by what they felt was the E320's superiority in all the other aspects.
by performs better i mean is faster (0-60, 1/4mile etc) which is in the context of this being a kill story thread seems logical.
Old 11-20-2004 | 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally Posted by reggid
by performs better i mean is faster (0-60, 1/4mile etc) which is in the context of this being a kill story thread seems logical.
Well, a few things - they don't give the actual numbers for 0-60 and 1/4 miles, so the margin of difference is not known, and also, as the review indicates, the E320's main strength seems to lie in its mid and upper range rather than in rapid starts, so in that case 0-60 and 1/4 mile aren't necessarily the determining factors of performance - e.g. rolling starts at different speeds are more telling of the car's performance across the range.
Old 11-20-2004 | 09:26 PM

Well, a few things - they don't give the actual numbers for 0-60 and 1/4 miles, so the margin of difference is not known, and also, as the review indicates, the E320's main strength seems to lie in its mid and upper range rather than in rapid starts, so in that case 0-60 and 1/4 mile aren't necessarily the determining factors of performance - e.g. rolling starts at different speeds are more telling of the car's performance across the range.
the actual numbers are given here:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...s_data.pdf.pdf