Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

ML500 beats a WRX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ML500 beats a WRX

Sorry for the double post (have posted this on ML forum already) but I have just found this "kills" section so I thought I would post it here too.

The other day I was instructing (I am a rally driving instructor) for the local Impreza WRX club driver training day (I still have 2 WRXs and used to be the club vice president). At lunch time it was time for a few of the instructors to have a go at head to head competition on a motorkhana course reuiring both high speeds and low speed moanouverability. I ended up having to run against a modified WRX being driven by one of the top club motorkhana competitors, in fact he is the motorkhana champion for 2004.

Hmmmm. I'll have a hard time here I thought!

Launched the car hard and kept my eyes glued to my side of the course so as not to try to keep up with the guy next to me.

It is not easy doing hand brake turns in an ML but I am certainly glad I have now perfected the; "right hand on e-brake release lever, left hand steering the car, left foot on e-brake pedal and right foot controling the throttle as I get the nose to pivot" system of driving!

To my great surprise, as I pulled up to an ABS assisted stop in the final garage, looked to my right, only to see that I had won, by at least a second, over a WRX.

Apparently, according to the crowd that is, the inside rear wheel would lift about 6 inches off the concrete while using the e-brake to spin the car. Quite spectacular from the outside apparently but the car felt solid and stable on the inside, even if the ESP was protesting madly.

Unfortunately everyone was too busy watching to get any video of the run.

Can't wait to try it agin if I end up getting a Kleemman upgrade.

The owner of the WRX has since challenged me again, but this time he wants me to do the motokhana while towing a box trailer, should make for more difficult handbrake turns!

:v

Last edited by sideways60; 01-08-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:35 PM

too many to list
hey,

good job. the wrx guy must be been awestruck by the performance of your truck not to mention your great driving.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks Lexino, but I am a bit confused.

You congratulate me on the thread but the personal email I received (I am only assuming it was from you) says:

"your story is bull-****"

So, just to confirm that someone else actually witnessed my run here is a post from an Australian forum:

""sideways60 wrote:

Left hand to steer. Right foot to control brake and accelerator. Left foot up under the dash to use the park brake pedal and right hand on release lever. Simple really!

Took some practice to get it all co-ordinated but now it's all good!

I just hope someone got it on video."

That made my day Ian! I got to drive a CLK and I spent 5 mintues trying to disengauge the hand brake, i poped the hood, truck etc... and you used it to drift damn impressive and beat a WRX at its own game that was gold. You'll be ripping on Pete for months about it

To be honest I found that the highlight of the expression sessson, yeah fair enough expensive fast powerful cars, but anyone with money can do that. But driving skill can't really be bought and that little race impressed me more than the 8 second rexy and the Protecnica IMO, they looked like my first attempt that morning on the skidpan, just all over the place misguided by the force

Cody.""

Here is the url: http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/viewt...r=asc&start=45

It's near the bottom of page 4 and the comment is by Asymmetry

Cheers.

PS: If the personal attack wasn't from you then I offer my full and heartfelt apologies for this reply.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever keys I grab first...
Nice kill! Don't beat him too bad next time.