M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Lexus ES330, RX330 or 05 ML350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55
Lexus ES330, RX330 or 05 ML350?

I everybody, I usually post in the W209 forum but wanted to ask for your advice here in the ML forum. I really appricate you guys taking the time.

I need to get my mother a car. I can't decide between the Lexus ES330, RX330 or ML350. What do you guys think? Here are a few questions that I have:

1. What kind of price should I expect when getting the ML350? What kind of price have you guys received for this car?
2. What do you guys think of the ES330 or the RX330?
3. Anything I should know before I talk to the MB dealer for the ML?
4. Are the 05 MLs D2B or MOST?
5. Should I wait for the 06ML? Since there will be a model change for the 06, should I expect to get a better deal on the 05s?
6. Are there any significant changes between the 05 and 06 that I should know about other than styling?
7. What do you guys think of the 7 seat options? How comfortable are the 3rd row seats.
8. I've heard bad things about the ML in terms of quality. Is this true or just rumors?
9. What is the difference between the 350 and the 500 other than the engine?
10. When is MBUSA planning to release the 06? And what kind of price difference are we looking at?
11. At last how do you guys compare the RX330 to the ML350? I know there are a few options that the RX has that the ML doesn't, such as Bluetooth and rear camera.

Thanks again for your time.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500 Silver/Black Sport/Sunroof/Comfort/Entertainment Packages, Icon-TV DVD & headrests
That's alot of questions I'm definitely NOT the best person to answer this for you as I am really NEW to the ML. (Just bought it 2 weeks ago). The only thing I can pass along to you is that last week while at the dealer here in VA I was told they are phasing out the ML350 and so are letting them go at a really good price. (Whatever that means...) So it might be worth just checking what that "good"price might be. Happy shopping!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by xaveon
I everybody, I usually post in the W209 forum but wanted to ask for your advice here in the ML forum. I really appricate you guys taking the time.

I need to get my mother a car. I can't decide between the Lexus ES330, RX330 or ML350. What do you guys think? Here are a few questions that I have:

1. What kind of price should I expect when getting the ML350? What kind of price have you guys received for this car?
2. What do you guys think of the ES330 or the RX330?
3. Anything I should know before I talk to the MB dealer for the ML?
4. Are the 05 MLs D2B or MOST?
5. Should I wait for the 06ML? Since there will be a model change for the 06, should I expect to get a better deal on the 05s?
6. Are there any significant changes between the 05 and 06 that I should know about other than styling?
7. What do you guys think of the 7 seat options? How comfortable are the 3rd row seats.
8. I've heard bad things about the ML in terms of quality. Is this true or just rumors?
9. What is the difference between the 350 and the 500 other than the engine?
10. When is MBUSA planning to release the 06? And what kind of price difference are we looking at?
11. At last how do you guys compare the RX330 to the ML350? I know there are a few options that the RX has that the ML doesn't, such as Bluetooth and rear camera.

Thanks again for your time.

Wow thats a huge list... Personally, the Es330 isn't the same class so I won't refer to it but I hope I can answer all your questions.

1) For an 05 ML350, expect a big discount, at least 4k off MSRP imo, if not more. For an 06 don't expect much off MSRP maybe 1000-1500 depending on how hot the market is.
2) ES330 is ok, a little too boaty and the engine isn't very refined (I drove a 2003 ES300 so it may be different now) but a good hwy cruiser. RX330 is ok but feels very bland and doesn't seem very rugged.
3) Not really sure what you are asking(vague question), just read up on the forums for the latest news, etc.
4) 05 MLs are def not MOST based, might not even be D2B... but if anything they are D2B. I believe the 06 will be MOST based and will have the OEM IPOD integration.
5) Personally I would wait for the 06 (probably cuz I have a 163 now), the 06 will be such a different car. The 05 is nice but the new model will be a much better on road car.
6) There are SIGNIFICANT changes for 06. Totally different structure. The 06 will be a uni-body. Have available air suspension, new V6 motor, 7 speed automatic trans, quieter interior, etc.
7) 7 seat option... 3rd row should only be used for children under 9 yrs old imo. In the 05 the rear seats are hard to access unless it is a factory installed unit... even then its still hard.
8) Yea there are quality issues with the ML, but by 2002 pretty much all the quirks were worked out. People on the boards have had great luck with their 05s. My 99 has been pretty good until the check engine light came on this week
9) the 500 has way more torque and will have more standard features than the 350... and a higher MSRP.
10) MBUSA should release the new ML very soon, i believe this or next month they will hit the streets.
11) I would rather have the ML350.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Good Morning XAveon...

I would say in terms of comparing the Mercedes to the Lexus...the main thing to consider is your taste (or your mom's taste for styling) and speed. I recently owned a 2003 ML500 and just got rid of it last week, due to non-stop brake issues that couldn't be repaired by Mercedes and currently drive a 2004 Lexus LX470 and have been inside of the RX330 numerous times. In my opinion the pros and cons are as follows:

Mercedes pros:

1. It's a Mercedes!
2. I believe the ML class has far more power than any SUV Lexus makes
3. Understated, yet nice cabin (i.e. front seat)
4. Fantastic in the snow (important if you live in my part of the country)
5. Very good navigation system (if you get that option)
6. Sharp looking SUV

Mercedes cons:

1. It's a Mercedes! While this may seem like a contradiction, Mercedes' reliability is poor, at best. Keep in mind that most of the problems with the M-class afflicted the first two model years (98 and 99 were awful from most accounts). The later model ML500 have a well known brake problem, so I would steer clear of that unless you want to be at the dealership monthly for brakes. There are many on these forums who will defend Mercedes to the end because they love their vehicles, but, do your homework and check into some unbiased informational sites (i.e. consumer reports) before making your purchase. Mercedes continues to rank toward the very bottom of every reliability list out there. For the record, I still do own a Mercedes C320. Just trying to give you honest feedback!

2. Interior materials (i.e. quality of the leather)are substandard, in my opinion compared to anything Lexus makes.

3. ML's don't have the resale value that other Mercedes models have because of the well known issues (be they real or perceived) with most people.

4. Cost of ownership (i.e. trips to the dealer!)

Lexus pros:

1. It's a Lexus

2. Reliability - Lexus has ranked in the top three of auto manufacturers in terms of reliability, cost of ownership, and customer satisfaction every year since they began back in 1990. This record simply cannot and should not be ignored.

3. The most comfortable, luxurious interior I've seen from any manufacturer.

4. High resale value.

5. Availability of Bluetooth and voice activated navigation.

Lexus cons:

1. Lack of power - Lexus tends to skimp on horsepower, so if speed is your thing, time to buy a Mercedes.

2. Very annoying safety features (i.e. you can't dial you're phone or enter an address into the navigation system while driving). While Lexus is to be appluded for their commitment to safety, I prefer the Mercedes system that doesn't restrict you.

3. Lack of prestige - I belive Mercedes is at the very top of the list when it comes to this category (if such silly things even matter to you). There are many Mercedes people who will tell you that a Lexus is nothing more than a "fancy Toyota". While this might be true, there are two things to keep in mind. First...Many people who say that simply love Mercedes and have never even been inside of a Lexus. Second...you would be better served to try out both vehicles and decide for yourself which one you think is the nicer vehicle and the best value for your money.

4. There are simply way too many RX330's on the road. It seems like every other car I see is an RX330 or the RX300. This is only an issue if your mom doesn't want to have the same vehicle everyone else has.

5. Appearance - Let me qualify this statement by saying that I really do like the looks and styling of the ML. Although I think the LX470 is the best looking SUV I've seen, to date, the RX has never been my favorite vehicle to look at. In fact, I would say in it's class, Mercedes probably outranks Lexus in terms of appearance on every comparable vehicle, with the only exception (again, only my opinion) being the LX470 over the horrendously ugly G-Class.

I hope I was able to help a little. I wish you luck on your purchase. For what it's worth, I've heard a lot of great things about the new style M-Class and according to my MB dealer, it will be on the showroom floor on April 15th, (unbelievevably early for an 06) so perhaps it's worth the month wait.

John from Boston