M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Any inexpensive a/c repair shops in Central Florida?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2005 | 04:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Silver '00 E320
Any inexpensive a/c repair shops in Central Florida?

My E320 has been diagnosed with a leaking evaporator in the air conditioning system. I am reluctant to turn loose of the $3365 plus tax (Ouch!) the dealer says it will take to replace it. And, on top of this, the technician said he doesn't know what else it might need and can't tell until after the evaporator is replaced.

I would like to buy the evaporator myself and just pay labor to have it installed. Does anyone know of a reasonable a/c repair shop in the Central Florida area where I might do that? I could also consider the Southeast coast area around Ft. Lauderdale since I have a son who lives down there. I could stay with him during the three days that it will probably take (so they tell me) to remove and replace it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 03-20-2005 | 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If it does need an evaporator I would not buy a used one or aftermarket if there is such. I think you may be stuck with the dealer price. Try to shop for a discounted one maybe on line. Then you will have shipping cost. Usual cause of this failure is an accident. Has the cab been in a front end collision?? The dealer is correct as to not knowing if anything else is wrong as there is no way to wring out the system if its not working. You can count on a receiver/dryer as they should be replaced if the system is opened up. Remember, cheaper is not better or correct.
Old 03-21-2005 | 05:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Silver '00 E320
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I agree with not using the used units. I will go with a new one.

There was no evidence of any previous front end work and nothing showed up on Carfax when I bought it. It had been working fine since last summer. Then about a couple of weeks ago I noticed and imbalance between the driver's and passenger's air vents with the one for the driver being more like ambient while the passenger's side seemed much cooler.

I thought it was a stuck vent door or something like that. It was a shock when they said it was the evaporator. Do they have two evaporators under the dash?