M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML wouldnt move after installing my new bling blings!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML wouldnt move after installing my new bling blings!!

ok guys weird problem yesterday after I installed my 20 inchers. It started fine, removed the parking brakes..put her in drive and nothing...reved it up to 2000 the car wouldnt move but the engine revs..tried all the gears from 1 thru 4 and even reverse...NOTHING! it just revs. So I called MB Emergency told him what I did. It was fine before I replaced the rims/tires...I know because I backed up the ML into the drive way...so anyways I spoke to the techy and he seemed like he didnt want to help after I mentioned the word "aftermarket". he was in a rush which was annoying because I wanted him to stay on the phone and stop all the BS techy explanation he was mentioning. But anyways I solved my problem by using the OEM lugnuts, the lugnuts that came with the 20 inch rims were a bit longer, which was weird because they fit right in.....Any explanation for this problem ???? was it just touching the rotors ???

Last edited by coykiam; 03-27-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4 Avant and BMW X5 4.4
Originally Posted by coykiam
ok guys weird problem yesterday after I installed my 20 inchers. It started fine, removed the parking brakes..put her in drive and nothing...reved it up to 2000 the car wouldnt move but the engine revs..tried all the gears from 1 thru 4 and even reverse...NOTHING! it just revs. So I called MB Emergency told him what I did. It was fine before I replaced the rims/tires...I know because I backed up the ML into the drive way...so anyways I spoke to the techy and he seemed like he didnt want to help after I mentioned the word "aftermarket". he was in a rush which was annoying because I wanted him to stay on the phone and stop all the BS techy explanation he was mentioning. But anyways I solved my problem by using the OEM lugnuts, the lugnuts that came with the 20 inch rims were a bit longer, which was weird because they fit right in.....Any explanation for this problem ???? was it just touching the rotors ???

your bolts were too long...and went deep into the the rotors/hub of the wheel...that's why your car would not budge. Just make sure the stock bolts have the same seating as the aftermarket bolts...(it's either conical or sphered seatings). You don't want to use spherical (sp?) seating bolts when the wheels require conical ones and vice versa
Old 03-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply...nice S4 btw (my dream car)...another question, would you happen to know where I can get one of those security lock lug nuts (ie: mcguard) for the ML ? Im using the OEM lugs for now, theres an autobarn near me but I dont think the ones they have would fit the ML. I saw one in performanceproducts.com and I'm considering it. would the fit ?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4 Avant and BMW X5 4.4
Thanks for the reply...nice S4 btw (my dream car)...another question, would you happen to know where I can get one of those security lock lug nuts (ie: mcguard) for the ML ? Im using the OEM lugs for now, theres an autobarn near me but I dont think the ones they have would fit the ML. I saw one in performanceproducts.com and I'm considering it. would the fit ?
not sure which locks would fit...u can always call them up, or call up Tirerack...they'll be able to tell you which ones will fit and if they have them in stock
Old 03-31-2005, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,189 Likes on 856 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Wheel locks

M-B dealers carry them.