M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Need Help, have some questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
Need Help, have some questions...

OK, I'm a proxy so bear that in mind...

my mom... (yeah I know... I'm 23 and doing her a favor here)... Is looking at a new ML320. she has a demo out now overnight (i think she's sold). she has a few concerns that I thought you guys might be able to address.

First things first... major problems/issues. it will be a 2002, so that makes things more difficult, but still, any recurring or common problems?

Second, has it been as rugged a vehicle as you'd hoped, she's comming out of Jeeps, and likes the go-anywhere feeling (and strangely finds need for that ability), and doesn't want something "prissy or fru-fru"

how expensive are repairs?

how are the front seats for the long haul?

how does it stand up to abuse???

she likes the safety features, and the sturdy-ness. she dislikes the pricing strategy (much pissed about special order), teleaid, and the cupholders (caffiene addict... coffee). she also thought it a little slugish... but thats to be expected when her current vehicle has damn-near 300 lb-ft and weighs 3400 lbs! I think the steering is too light and the grill emblem is too big... and the pricing strategy is BS.

what about the "truck" do you find to be the best and worst charateristics, speaking as owners.

the only other considerations at this point are the X5 (probably too flimsy) and Grand Cherokee (mmmmm depreciation.... yummy!)
Old 12-05-2001, 11:37 PM

2010 E550
Have her look at used ML 430s. 2000 & 2001. Save big bucks and she'll want the big engine. I've got a partner that has one (his first mercedes) and loves it.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Pricing stratagy will be made up for on the back end with excellent resale. Teleaid is free the first year and a
big safety convience plus, Maintenence is included and is "free" and the warranty will preclude any unusual repair costs for the next 4 years. Cup holders are great, no spilling of coffee on the consol. I am on my second one: 98 ML320 and now an 02 ML500. As far as power is concerned I found the 320 satisfactory and bought the 500 for all the goodies that come with it. There is no comparison to the Jeep products. Quality of the Jeep is terrible. Have a friend who lunched an engine in his Grand Cherokee at 65000 miles and received absolutly no consideration for the replacement even though it was caused by a faulty oil pump. Good luck, she will love the ML.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:29 AM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
thanks sosh, I like the teleaid too, but she's a bit of a privacy freak... don't ask where she got it.

i totally agree on the jeep thing, her current Jeep has less than 60K on it and it rattles like a freakin' bus.

no spilling of coffee on the consol
I never thought of it that way... excellent spin!

STK... no dice on the V8... I tried. she wants new (and "refuses to pay for equipment she doesn't want"), so the year-old 430 is out... as far as the bigger engine.... uh, my dad drives a '99 Ram 2500 with an 8.0L V10... they have MORE THAN ENOUGH engine in the family already (of 4 cars, her current jeep is the only one without at least a V8)... the only reason she is in an SUV at all is for the AWD and her arthritis (too many years spanking me and my brothers???) requires her to have a high seating position. (otherwise much pain occurs)

anyway, thanks for the responses! this is the first MB (and the first european/german for that matter) for my family... here goes nothin!