M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

No cold air, just HOT air coming out. Why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
No cold air, just HOT air coming out. Why?

Can some of the experience ML owners give me some help?

I have 98 ML320 and during the weekend I relalized that there is no cold air coming out instead all hot air coming out from the all the vents now. In addition, I heard a click click click noice when I turn the level higher. Anyone know what is the problem? Can I fix it myself? Any estimate to repair the cost? Please share some light with me.

Appreciated in advnace,
hlkc
Old 05-02-2005, 07:33 AM

00' ML 55 AMG; 08' Jeep Wrangler Unlimted (4 Door)
Sound like you might either have a need for some more refrigerant in your compressor. The clicking could be the compressor clutch relay kicking or aux. fan kicking on and off so you don't burn it up, might even be the vent motor in the dash. You might have had a slow leak that just emptied out your r134. Take it by a service shop and see if they can do a A/C leak test and recharge.

Reference these threads and see if it helps

Ticking in ML

AC Problem

A/C Not Cold

Last edited by LiquidSmile; 05-02-2005 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:37 AM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Originally Posted by LiquidSmile
Sound like you might either have a need for some more refrigerant in your compressor. The clicking could be the compressor clutch relay kicking or aux. fan kicking on and off so you don't burn it up, might even be the vent motor in the dash. You might have had a slow leak that just emptied out your r134. Take it by a service shop and see if they can do a A/C leak test and recharge.

Reference these threads and see if it helps

Ticking in ML

AC Problem

A/C Not Cold
LiquidSmile,

Sorry I did not explain clearly enough. It didn't mean AC just regular air, all the way to the right/blue. When I hit the AC the air is less hot but not cold at all. Any idea?

Thanks in advance!
hlkc
Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 AM

Let me guess, the clicking noise you are hearing is comming from the dash? If you your linkage for the blend air door is busted and the motor cant switch it from hot to cold...or the splines on the motor or striped. I have seen it a few times. It involves pulling the dash out to get to the motor. once the dash is out it is very easy to change. The dash isnt to hard to pull out but it would take me forever to give you step by step instructions. see if you can somehow get you hands on some work instrunctions on pulling the dash. warrenty time on it is 6hrs. i can have the dash out and back in, in 2 hrs
Old 05-02-2005, 11:03 AM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Originally Posted by ML God
Let me guess, the clicking noise you are hearing is comming from the dash? If you your linkage for the blend air door is busted and the motor cant switch it from hot to cold...or the splines on the motor or striped. I have seen it a few times. It involves pulling the dash out to get to the motor. once the dash is out it is very easy to change. The dash isnt to hard to pull out but it would take me forever to give you step by step instructions. see if you can somehow get you hands on some work instrunctions on pulling the dash. warrenty time on it is 6hrs. i can have the dash out and back in, in 2 hrs
ML God,

Thanks! Yes, the clicking noices are from underneath the dash. Any idea what to expect for the parts and labor? What parts are we talking about here?

Thanks,
hlkc
Old 05-02-2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by hlkc
ML God,

Thanks! Yes, the clicking noices are from underneath the dash. Any idea what to expect for the parts and labor? What parts are we talking about here?

Thanks,
hlkc
Well if you bring it to the dealer they are going to charge you 1.0 check out tme. 6hr to pull the dash and 1/2 hour to change the motor. the motor i am guess cant be more than $100 more like $50. So those hours plus what you dealer hourly rate is. We are $150 out here in Cali.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:42 PM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Originally Posted by ML God
Well if you bring it to the dealer they are going to charge you 1.0 check out tme. 6hr to pull the dash and 1/2 hour to change the motor. the motor i am guess cant be more than $100 more like $50. So those hours plus what you dealer hourly rate is. We are $150 out here in Cali.
ML God,

Where about are you in CA? Can you give me a estimate to repair this?

Thanks,
hlkc