M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

an actual mercedes bargain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2005 | 11:32 AM

1999 ML430
an actual mercedes bargain

As all of you are painfully aware..prices for oem mercedes parts are usually off the chart. Yesterday, I was actually surprised with the price of a part that had to come from the manufacturer..namely a windshield washer reservoir for a 99 ML430.

It has been noted in many posts that these are prone to leak after awhile. Mine did start leaking at about 100.000 miles and I removed it, epoxied the area leaking (base of the tab w/bolt that attaches to radiator area ). Fine.....up until about a week ago..once again drip-drip-drip from same area. Removed reservoir and then epoxied with JB Weld. Leak continued.

Dealer wanted $99.00 for tank....local mercedes shop had one for $61.00. Not too bad. When I went to pick it up, it had the two pumps already mounted on the side, included in that price.. COOL !!

Thiose puppies are listed at about 40.00 bucks each. Even though I don't need them, the originals will make great spares.

Also, apparently since this was a design problem on the original reservoir, the new tank is redesigned and a lot larger in capacity. Took some doing to install it. Had to disconnect the battery,take the top off of the ECM module, lift out and then gently squeeze new reservoir past the plastic housing for the ECM. Reinstall everything, button it-up and cross your fingers when checking all functions to make sure electronics didn't get messed up. Phew!!

By the way....new reservoir is designed for original pump wiring and hose hook up, so one you get it in place, very easy to finish up....I wonder if they meant to include the two w/washer pumps w/the reservoir ?