M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

CEL Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL Help!!!!

Well, My CEL came on. I had bad excelleration, and wouldn't shift on WOT. It also felt like I was driving a four cylinder honda. I had Autozone, and Pepboys check the codes to make sure it was correct. The codes popped up O2 sensor faults on 2 fronts, and 2 back. I cleaned my K&N airfilter, and reset the codes by disconnecting the batteries. I also replaced all four O2 sensors costing $145/each, and the codes still came on.
I took into the stealership, and they charged $380 to replace the MAF sensor, and reset the codes. After driving out of the service garage. The CEL came on again, and i drove right back into the service bay. They scanned the CEL, and said all four O2 sensors are throwing up bad codes again.
Please help me I'm fed up with my ML, and would like to fix this. My wallet is getting thin from this CEL problem. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:07 AM

First of all disconnecting the battery does not erase the codes. More than likly you have 2 promblems....1 that you caused yourself NEVER...I say NEVER use a K&N or any oil air filter with the mass air setup that you have. More than likly you over oiled the filter and it damaged the mass air flow. When the dealer say the codes for the Mass air flow he more than likly ignored the o2 sensor codes. A bad Mass air flow will sometimes set o2 sensor codes...With that being said I highly doubt all 4 O2 sensor were bad on your ML...When you replaced them did you use OEM parts...or Pepboy specials? Sounds to me like you may have a bad ME control unit. Before you decide to put one in have it fully diagnosed first. I might be something else. Let me know what you find out and get rid of that FILTER!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Almost a Member!

Cel

Thanks for the reply.
I had Pepboys, and Autozone check the codes to ensure thats the right code that I originally have. When it came to replacing the O2, I used Bosch OEM on all four sensors. When cleaning the K&N, I litely sprayed the recharger on the incoming end of the filters. After doing all that the codes still came on.
I then proceeded to go the stealership for OEM MAS sensors, and they also reset the codes through the OBD plugs not by disconnecting the batteries. when they replaced the MAS sensor the hesitation, and slow excelleration went away.

Whats an ME unit, and where is it located at?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:29 AM

The ME control unit is the main engine control unit. When replacing a MAS they should have reset the engines adaptions...all done throught the SDS (mbz scan tool)