M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

New ML320 - Some Q's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2002 | 08:21 AM

ML
New ML320 - Some Q's

Just got her yesterday - FINALLY!!! and she's a beauty. A couple of questions for starters:

1) Unlike my E430, it's very hard to START the ML. Once the key gets past position #2, I really have to twist hard to get the starter engaged. Is this normal?

2) After I shut the engine, there is a low/faint buzzing sound that lasts for up to 10 minutes. It sounds like a little fan under the driver's footwell and in the engine compartment, it seems to come from the passenger side intake/exhaust manifold area. It's not the electric fan (not nearly as loud as that). Again, my E doesn't do this.

3) And then, the passenger side front fender (where it meets the hood) is always VERY hot. After a short drive, you can't even touch it - it's that hot!!!

4) Everytime I engage the key in position #2 to start, the ventilation fan comes on for a very brief moment and shuts off - don't think this is normal. It may also be that I haven't set the ventilation controls properly - I'm still on page 20 of the manual!!

5) Also, with the key in position #2 and sitting there, there seems to be a lot of electronic noises under the dash - it's not just plain quiet as I'm used to. Normal?

Thanks folks.

Last edited by Darkmann; 07-02-2002 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-02-2002 | 12:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 ML 320
My ML is not very hard to start. You may be comparing to your E Class, which may be easier, but all I can comment on is my impression.

The faint buzz is normal. I had it in my previous ML and also have heard it on several loaner cars. Not sure what it is, but I think it has to do with the electronics in the dash.

I've never noticed the hot fender. I will check it out.

The other issues you mentioned also don't sound familiar - but then again I haven't paid that close attention to them either. (I thought I was picky, but I guess not)

Have fun in the new car!!!
Old 07-02-2002 | 01:33 PM

ML
Thanks Bottedi. So far, I'm happy with the truck - darn, its only got120 miles on it!!!what's there not to be happy about??
Old 07-04-2002 | 08:57 AM

2001 ML320
I don't think the hard start is normal. My 2001 ML is very easy. The noise you are hearing (electronic) is a cooling fan for the electrical system according to my service dept.