M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Need ML Upgrade Information

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Need ML Upgrade Information

OK, so far the ML is great. I plan to upgrade to step bars (black), black bug deflector and rear airdam. So far, I'm looking at OEM stuff. Are there aftermarket stuff less expensive (and better or same quality) than OEM? Can I install these in my garage with minimal effort - I do most work on my other cars and have plenty of tools. I just hate anything that involves drilling through the body panels. On the bug deflector, I have considered the paste-on clear kind but am not familiar with its durability. Any information based on experience will be very helpful. Thanks folks.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320
I wouldn't know how hard installation of aftermarket side steps, etc. would be, but as far as OEM parts, I have installed running boards and a couple other OEM accessories on an ML and it's pretty straight-forward except for the occasional weird design, etc. - nothing major at all though.

Many non-OEM companies are supposed to have good accessories like the side steps, brush guards, deflectors, etc. - but personally I haven't yet tried anything that is the direct equivalent of any OEM part - maybe sometime soon.

Anyway, good luck on your upgrades.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML 320
http://www.performanceproducts.com has the parts that you are looking for at reasonable prices. I am investigating the Manik 1 piece grill guard. I got my 2002 ML with sidestep already installed (offcourse at a premium price).