M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

lost my power steering in BFD nowhere...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 03:08 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferrari,Bmw,Mercedes,Porsche
lost my power steering in BFD nowhere...

Im in the middle of northern california with the family and all of a sudden it feels like both my front tires are flat...I stop and look and tires are good, lift hood and what a mess.....lost my PS.
Im in the middle of BFD nowhere heading to Eureka Ca which is 3 hours away...with power steering....4 hrs later at 10pm we pull into eureka....not one hotel is vacant......unbelievable......nowhere and I mean nowhere not 50 miles out....heading south east now on 101...not 100 miles out...not 150 miles out...........200 miles later I find a hotel at the weeee early hours and dead tired and oh did I mention my Ps went out......so thru the great redwoods and thru grandmas house we go.....I manage to get my up to now no problem ML back home.
I hope this never happens to any of you.....bring truck to mechanic tomorrow. keep you posted.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Why didn't you have the simple clamp recall compkied with?? Its your fault, you had ample warning.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Exclamation Sorry to hear about your miserable time.

If you didn't do the PS recall then you owe grams and the family a huge appology. If you did have it done, then why didn't you just call roadside - the wrench or "i" button by the rearview mirror, or even the SOS button (if you have it current). REMEMBER: Roadside comes lifetime with the truck, so even if your SOS thingy is not current, a cell phone to roadside will get you home free. And there's some goodies that come with the roadside thing. Read the manual for your model year and take advantage of the offerings!!! Ultracarnut, man, I think this misery should be put squarely on your shoulders!!! Now, go tell your family how sorry you are
Old 08-15-2005, 08:57 PM

02 ML320, 06 E350
I had the recall done but it did no good i still dont think they fixed the problem. but i was lucky it happened to me only a mile from my house in a parking lot i couldn't imagine driving the car on the road with out power-steering. (unless you just had a leak my car the whole pipe blew off pumping fluid out on my front grill like my car had just gotten sick)
Old 08-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Ferrari,Bmw,Mercedes,Porsche
well I would have called for help but I was out in BFD nowhere....hense the title.....and the @#$@#%$#$# phone wouldnt work. Soooooo.....sunday afternoon....no MBZ dealership for 300 miles......I drove home. Opened hood , hose was partial corroded and off and the radiator side. cut....re-clamp and 2 bottles of steering fluid later.....fixed...oh ya by the way the recall was done last year.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by sosh
Why didn't you have the simple clamp recall compkied with?? Its your fault, you had ample warning.
I had the recall fixed and my old ML's power steering still failed about a year later. that was the second time it happened to me.