M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Vibrations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibrations

Folks,

I've searched these forums for a couple of weeks to help me determine a vibration in my car. I have a 2003 ML500 with about 23,000 miles. I took it to MB at Morristown, NJ to get it fixed. They replaced the ball joints, tie rods, and aligned the car. They also performed a Hunter Road Force GPS9000 balancing of all 4 wheels. They concluded that the tires are "out-of-round" and that I had to replace all 4 tires (Continential Sport Contact 4X4).

At little history behind the tires: These tires were put on the car new when I bought the car with 15,000 miles. In effect the tires have less than 8,000 miles on them.

I did some research on the Continental Tire Warranty and they offered to replace the tires but that they needed to confirm the MB dealers diagnosis with a Continental Tire dealer. I took it to ETD tires in Clifton, NJ. They claimed that the tire are NOT "out of round" but needed balancing. I said "ok" and they rebalanced the tire.

I have to say that the major vibrations that caused the steering wheel to shake and driver's side sun visor to flutter up and down have ceased and the driveability is improved, BUT, it still sense a slight vibration in the steering wheel, gas petal, and at the seat of my pants. In my hands and feet, it feels like I am holding on to an electric shaver.

1. Has anyone else here had a similar experience?
2. If so, is this a "normal" level of vibration for the ML?
3. What did you do the fix/diagnose the problem?
4. Could this be the mysterious differential problem that MB alluded to for model years 1999-2002. In that bulletin MB admits that differentials might be slightly out of balance?

Regards,
H3rmes
Old 08-15-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
No, this level of vibration is not acceptable. The ML doesn't exhibit

that shaver vibration unless something is wrong, and in your case I'll start by rotating the tires again. The seat of the pants vibs seem like rear tires out of balance/out of round. I'll take it to a third tire shop to confirm out-of-round problem. Make sure to ask for print-outs and keep all your receipts just in case you're due future reimbursements. If the tires are balanced and round, then the problem most likely has something to do with the tie rod/ball joint work. Go back to MB with all the data and complain. They'll take a second look at what they did. Maybe they forgot to properly torque a bolt, who knows??? I am assuming here that this vibration started after the tie rod/ball joint work was done, right?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Vibrations were always there before the tie rod/ball joint replacement

Originally Posted by Darkmann
that shaver vibration unless something is wrong, and in your case I'll start by rotating the tires again. The seat of the pants vibs seem like rear tires out of balance/out of round. I'll take it to a third tire shop to confirm out-of-round problem. Make sure to ask for print-outs and keep all your receipts just in case you're due future reimbursements. If the tires are balanced and round, then the problem most likely has something to do with the tie rod/ball joint work. Go back to MB with all the data and complain. They'll take a second look at what they did. Maybe they forgot to properly torque a bolt, who knows??? I am assuming here that this vibration started after the tie rod/ball joint work was done, right?
I think the tie rod/ball joint replacement helped reduce the vibrations somewhat, so I think that fixed part of the problem. Now there is still a feeling in my hands and feet of holding a electric shaver, which is better than before, but still a cause of concern.

Regards,
h3rmes
Old 08-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Try lowering the tire pressure just a tad bit.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Almost a Member!

I'm currently at 32 psi all around

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Try lowering the tire pressure just a tad bit.
What psi would you recommend?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Honestly I can't remember what we run on our W163.
Your gas tank lid should tell you what you should run. If it says 32psi, I'd drop a psi or two and see if the vibrations still exist.

I know StephenK on the R230 board had the same issue and that was his solution.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Almost a Member!

After putting on another 1500 miles on the car

Originally Posted by h3rmes
I think the tie rod/ball joint replacement helped reduce the vibrations somewhat, so I think that fixed part of the problem. Now there is still a feeling in my hands and feet of holding a electric shaver, which is better than before, but still a cause of concern.

Regards,
h3rmes
It is beginning to get better. Is it possible for out of round tires to get back to round over time? Now when I am driving between 60-80-120, it feels almost as smooth as glass. I have my fingers cross that it won't relapse. Has anyone here have out of round tires go back to round after agressively putting on mileage on the car?

Regards,
h3rmes
Old 08-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Vibrations Came Back

Originally Posted by h3rmes
It is beginning to get better. Is it possible for out of round tires to get back to round over time? Now when I am driving between 60-80-120, it feels almost as smooth as glass. I have my fingers cross that it won't relapse. Has anyone here have out of round tires go back to round after agressively putting on mileage on the car?

Regards,
h3rmes

So much for my luck, the vibrations came back. I shelled out a chunk of money on Michelin X-Terrains and got them Hunter Road Force matched at less than 20 lbs. 3 of the wheels are under 20 lbs. The 4 one on the rear side measure 24 lbs. which is "acceptable" according to Hunter. Their thresh hold is 34 for light truck tires.

Net net, this eliminated all vibrations and the car drive like a dream.