M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

MCS Db2 Fiber optic - no sound at all

Old 08-17-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS Db2 Fiber optic - no sound at all

All - appologize in advance - this is similar to prev. posts BUT...

Problem: No sound at all - all components radio, phone, nav -appear to be functioning.

Symptom: happened all of a sudden (no component changes or upgrades). When I push the CD changer button - I get an on-screen error that indicates a navigation CD is in the changer and requests an audio CD. Well - I have the Navigation CD in the single changer in the dash unit - and only audio CDs (which haven't been changed in a year and have always worked fine).

Fix: Sounds like a programming error happened and needs to be corrected by the MB-STAR system OR the fiber optic got pinched between changer somewhere.

Question: My Walnut Creek, CA dealer wants $285 to diagnose problem and costs will likely rise from there. Sounds excessive - do indys have capability to re-program or is there another route to go to simply diagnise via MB-Star - couldn't take more than a few mins. to run the diagnostic... help!!!

Mark
Old 08-17-2005, 03:48 PM

$285 is about right to diagnosis the system. What needs to be done is attach a tester to the line than go to each component to see if the signal is getting through What year is your ML??
MLG
Old 08-17-2005, 04:13 PM

more..

It's a 2002 ML500

Since (all of a sudden) MCS is not recognizing the 6-CD changer in the back- could it simply be a pinched fiber-optic between it (the changer) and the DVD player underneath the passenger side seat?? That would explain no sound to anything ..

Does anyone know if re-inputting a radio code would/could reset a different issue causing no sound and no recognition of CD changer?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:19 AM

Mark, did you read my post on my MCS problems and how I solved it? Look for it... I too had a MCS problem and it appeared to be a programming bug in the MCS. What I did to reset the thing was disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it disconnected for a few minutes, then reconnect.

It reset the MCS and all works fine.

You can read more about my trials and tribulations at kerryonworld.com if you want to know more.

Hope this helps.

Kerry Kobashi
KerryOnWorld.com
Old 08-19-2005, 12:07 PM

fixed!!! (per Kerry) - you just saved me nearly $300

Thanks Kerry - that fixed it.

(I simply disconnected neg. batter lead and reconnected and it prompts me for a radio code. I called 800 merc roadside assistance and got the code immediated - very easy). All works now.

I'm glad I came to the forum here for advise and trusted my instincts that the MB dealer was about to pump me for nearly $300 (unwarranted for a prelim. diagnosis - ridiculous and down right unethical!) - not the first time either...

Mark
Old 08-19-2005, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by mark81295

(I simply disconnected neg. batter lead and reconnected and it prompts me for a radio code. I called 800 merc roadside assistance and got the code immediated - very easy). All works now.

I'm glad I came to the forum here for advise and trusted my instincts that the MB dealer was about to pump me for nearly $300 (unwarranted for a prelim. diagnosis - ridiculous and down right unethical!) - not the first time either...

Mark
That action you took could cause up to $1000 or more worth of damage to your cars electronics. The skill needed to do it with a WORKING car using a $26K diagnostic is somewhat more clinical. The generic advice disconnecting batteries has already destroyed several members cars and caused enormous problems. Obviously not all of them were M-Class but the electronics themselves do not vary greatly across the Benz family.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by mark81295

Mark
Yep mark... and I do wonder if I took it into my dealership how much they would have screwed me to replace the entire unit and the labor. I knew my problem was a screwup in the Bose unit because it was stuck in a looping state (I'm a software engineer) and all it needed was a reset.

Glad it worked for you and saved you money.

Kerry Kobashi
www.kerryonworld.com

Last edited by kkobashi; 08-21-2005 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by kkobashi
Yep mark... and I do wonder if I took it into my dealership how much they would have screwed me to replace the entire unit and the labor. I knew my problem was a screwup in the Bose unit because it was stuck in a looping state (I'm a software engineer) and all it needed was a reset.

Glad it worked for you and saved you money.

Kerry Kobashi
www.kerryonworld.com
I would have been far more impressed if you had located the fuse and pulled it out.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by benzmodz
I would have been far more impressed if you had located the fuse and pulled it out.
MB USA TOLD ME TO DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE.

Your posts read of hatred. Why don't you do all of us a favor and shut the ***** up.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by kkobashi
MB USA TOLD ME TO DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE.

Your posts read of hatred. Why don't you do all of us a favor and shut the ***** up.
Hatred. What are you Paris Hilton's valet ?

Sure some nutter from MB told you to do it ... yeah right. And when you blow a SAM module they can clean out your wallet and sell you a new one with labour on top. Sure .... just keep telling us so.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by benzmodz
Hatred. What are you Paris Hilton's valet ?

Sure some nutter from MB told you to do it ... yeah right. And when you blow a SAM module they can clean out your wallet and sell you a new one with labour on top. Sure .... just keep telling us so.
Let's look at the facts, which you have some problem understanding and believing:

MBUSA suggested disconnecting the negative battery terminal as a solution to reset the MCS. No, they did not say remove the fuse. No they aren't trying to screw me as you eluded to in your post. And where is it written law that "Thou Should Impress BenzModz"? Sounds like someone has a big head.

The SAM module did not blow as your alarmist self stated. And this was AFTER we told you we solved our problem.

Further, the MB dealerships did not take Mark and I to the cleaners. They didn't even get there because we didnt let it happen.

The MCS did not fail and cause $1000+ worth of damage. If you didnt understand from the beginning, both our units had already failed and were unusable. Ever been in that EXACT situation? Or were you just guessing with paranoia and theory?

So why bash when we clearly solved our own problems? I find it interesting that you responded after the fact. To the readers of this thread, one would wonder what your motivation are for doing so. You offered nothing but baseless rhetorical bs and hand waving AFTER THE FACT.

FYI, its been three weeks since this post and I've driven over 1500 miles with no problems including a long road trip.

You should eat California prunes. It takes care of constipation you know.

Last edited by kkobashi; 09-03-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:55 PM

ML 350
Had the same problem as mark81295 and kkobashi. After reading this thread (thanks to this forum!), I called up MBUSA and they gave me the same set of instructions to get rid of the problem.

Benzmodz: MBUSA is the US headquarters of Mercedes. If the SAM Module had blown after taking their advice, all of us would not be happy and be asking MBUSA to replace the unit. Given the choice of taking advice from you and of that from following MBUSA instructions, I'm going to go with MBUSA every time.

kkobashi: Thanks! You saved me a lot of money!