M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML 500 - help for neewbie...long post, but please help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500 - help for neewbie...long post, but please help!!

So I have decided to no longer use my dealer as a mechanic. I am nervous about leaving the "dealer mechanic's nest" and going out into the big wide world all alone - please help me learn and teach myself how to properly care for this amazing machine...I will go to a mechanic for the big stuff, but I want to make sure I know enough to check up on the mechanic's work...

2002 ML 500 with 120,000 miles:
1. How often should I get my oil changed (all highway miles)
2. At 100k should I do any additional maintenance? (spark plugs?) and how much should this cost?
3. Brakes - just this morning the audible brake warning started going off, I guess it is time to do the brakes again - how much should I spend, and what should I ask the mechanic to do...in other words, how can I check to make sure he is doing the right work and is charging a reasonable price? What parts should he be charging for?
4. Knowledge - I want to learn as much as possible about my ML500 - can I buy shop books or technical manuals - if so where?
5. The computer code readers..should I buy one? If so, how much and where?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Why would you stop going to a dealer when you appanently have had no unsolved problems since new?? Now, as the vehicle ages in when you really need someone like that. Re oil change, due when the FSS tells you. Plugs are due at or near 100K, remember there are 16 of them. Audible brake warning is not for wear, there is a light for that. The audible tells you that your emer brake is on when you move the car. Yes, you need a code reader to maintain the car correctly and to reset faults, etc. The only one that will work for everything is the MB Star diagnostic system, price this at your dealer's but be sitting down when you do. You will also need a subscription to the updates for this. As far as doing the stuff yourself, if you are asking these questions I do not believe you have the knoledge or skills to do what you want to do.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:17 PM

Thanks Sosh

Thanks for the reply SOSH - I think my post was poorly worded and gave the wrong impression.

I am limiting the use of the dealer for 2 primary reasons: 1) the cost and 2) the distance - I will be about 45 miles away from the nearest dealer. I was asking for help and information as a newbie DIY not for the purpose of actually doing all the work myself, but to learn as much as possible so that I could make a informed decisions about mechanics, maintenance and whether or not I am being misled about certain charges, repairs, etc.

Regarding the audible brake warning light; it is not on by itself, the amber brake pad wear indicator light is also on... I checked and the parking brake is not on; the brake fluid reservoir is at the proper level and there are no signs of a leak. Previously when the same exact thing happened on my ML500 - it meant that my brake pads needed to be replaced, but nothing else was wrong with my braking system. Do you think there is something that I am missing or misinterpreting? Please feel free to educate and/or berate (gently) me - I really appreciate this forum and your assistance. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I do not think that there is an audible warning for low brake pads. Believe its only the light. I personally feel that the added cost of having the vehicle maintained by the dealer is worth it. They have caught numerous items on my MB's during routine inspections that saved problems down the road and possible breakdowns. Many independents do not do the full inspections during A and B services and just the fluids, etc. Inspections are well worth it and you must know what you are looking for
Old 08-29-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by timlawyer
So I have decided to no longer use my dealer as a mechanic. I am nervous about leaving the "dealer mechanic's nest" and going out into the big wide world all alone - please help me learn and teach myself how to properly care for this amazing machine...I will go to a mechanic for the big stuff, but I want to make sure I know enough to check up on the mechanic's work...

2002 ML 500 with 120,000 miles:
1. How often should I get my oil changed (all highway miles)
2. At 100k should I do any additional maintenance? (spark plugs?) and how much should this cost?
3. Brakes - just this morning the audible brake warning started going off, I guess it is time to do the brakes again - how much should I spend, and what should I ask the mechanic to do...in other words, how can I check to make sure he is doing the right work and is charging a reasonable price? What parts should he be charging for?
4. Knowledge - I want to learn as much as possible about my ML500 - can I buy shop books or technical manuals - if so where?
5. The computer code readers..should I buy one? If so, how much and where?
Sosh pretty much summed it, but I'll expand some:

1) Stay with FSS for oil changes. Plenty of us here have MB vehicles with FSS and we're happy with the 12-13K oil changes. BTW, this is an easy DIY.

2) You have 120K so why ask about 100K? You should've done the plugs at 100K and the coolant every 2-years, and the brake fluid flush sometime every two years. The follow the FSS as usual. I would recommend you do the tranny/Xfer Case oil change at now. They may so no, but I'll insist. I talked to my SA and master tech about this and they told me that if I plan to keep the truck long, tranny/xfer case should be serviced at 50-70K.

3) Yes, sosh, there is an audible squeal for low brake pad wear. In addition, the brake pad wear indicator light which should come on and stay on at low pad condition. If you continue to drive at this condition, the pad gets thinner and at some point you'll basically eat up the sensor. I believe the light will go off at this point. The noise is not dependent on brake pedal pressure. If you hear it, it's time to replace pad. If the noise started this morning, you have a good 2-3K miles, if you do mostly highway driving - I know from my 02 320.

Now, how to tell your mechanic is doing the job??? I haven't had the chance to DIY on the ML, but on my other cars, what I've do is to get the parts myself and ask them to return all replaced components to me. And the beauty about this is that you can take it to the dealer and ask them to do this and all you pay is labor. Some will balk, but most will do it willingly, especially if you tell them the MB pads casue too much brake dust. BTW, this is an easy DIY.

4) I don't know of any shop manuals for the ML. Read through the service book and understand what A and B services cover. This may be all you need. If you pop a ball joint or need a steering rack or need a new tranny, you'll have to take it in. Most of the required basic maintenance stuff is in the manual. How to do perform the maintenance? Come here and ask and we'll help you.

5) I won't buy one. You don't sound like a DIY type for this type of machine. Let the shop disgnose the problem.

BTW, if I were you, I'll stick with the dealer for basic maintenance - A & B service. Stuff like brakes, I'll use an independent shop.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:09 PM

2013 ML350BT
Ther is an audble alarm which is triggered by the electric wear sensor that is located on each caliper. Once you are hearing the alarm that sensor is basically toast and needs to be replaced. They are not expensive, I think about $15 or 20 bucks.

I agree w/ you re dealer service, I find that they are about THREE times what the job should cost,,

1) $125.00 Oll and filter Changes
2) $1800.00 for brake job with rotors
3) $800.00 for MAF replacement
4) $400.00 to charge spark plugs (which were diagnosed by the dealer as bad at 50,000 miles when I was experiencing a misfire AFTER they replaced the MAF. I replaced the plugs today and to my surprise found one of the wires under the MAF not seated correctly on one of the plugs. When I pushed the wire back on the misfire stopped. Hmmm wonder who did that.....
5) Arguments since new regarding problems with the vehicle that they don't even attemp top fix since "they cannot duplicate the problem". I HATE it that I am put into a position after buying a 50K and 70K vehicle of convincing an ignorant service writer that something is wrong with my vehicle. VERY frustrating.
6) Front whel falling off of the vehicle right after dealer service with my 6 month pregnent wife driving!!!!! Thier answer, oops, sorry.....

ETC, eTc, eTc

Save your self a bucketload of money AND agravation by either doing it yourself or finding a good qualified third party Mercedes/Porche/etc service facility in your area. If you find the right shop they can handle just about everyting that you need. With OBD the vehicle tells you what is wrong, it's not brain surgery, but the dealership would like you to think that it is!

All that our dealer has done is ensure that we never buy another Mercedes again.