M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

replacement shocks MLGOD suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacement shocks MLGOD suggestions?

Folks,

There seems to be quite a bit of debate among the forums members on what kind of shock to buy for the ML.

A few posters have said that the OEM Sachs shocks are better than after market due to the rear shocks coming as a set with the spring and a rumored shock "revalving" for model years 2002+.

Other seem very happy about their choice in using the Bilstein HD shocks. Looks like Bilstein covers MLs up to model year 2003. It seems, though, that some have complained that the ride is too harsh.

My questions is. . .

1. When people say that the shocks were "revalved" for 2002+ model year and above, how do we know that? For example, my ML500 has a 12/02 build date but was sold as a 2003 model year. Would it have the "revalved" shock settings? Is there anyway to check?

2. Has anyone replaced their 2002/2003/2004/2005 OEM ML shocks even though the shock has been "revalved"? If so what brand did you pick (Sachs?/Bilstein?)

3. Is there an objective shock test that could tell me whether its time to replace the shock. If I recall Hunter has a tool to do the trick. Don't know of anyone in the Northern New Jersey area that has one.

I just trying to decide what's best for my ML. It has less than 25,000 miles and I have feeling that the shocks may have to be replaced. This is based on my waddle test: I sit in my driver seat, sway my body back and forth without starting the engine and the car sways a bit from left and right. I know, probably not an accurate test.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML 430
Shock replacement

I replaced the front shocks at 50k. I bought shocks all around, but it appears as if 'some assembly required' to use Bilsteins on the rear. It is a shock - up the center of the coil spring - design in the rear, and you need to install the spring holder on to the after market shock. Basically, it is more of an advanced DIY job in the rear.

Installing Bilstein's in front was easy. I still have the same sway factor I think your talking about. I upgraded to the ML55 AMG wheels which changed the profile slightly, but noticeably. I thought new shocks might make a difference, but it really didn't seem to. It made so little difference I haven't bothered following through with the rears.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Almost a Member!

AMG Wheels Really Helped Body Roll?

Originally Posted by N1PRJ
I replaced the front shocks at 50k. I bought shocks all around, but it appears as if 'some assembly required' to use Bilsteins on the rear. It is a shock - up the center of the coil spring - design in the rear, and you need to install the spring holder on to the after market shock. Basically, it is more of an advanced DIY job in the rear.

Installing Bilstein's in front was easy. I still have the same sway factor I think your talking about. I upgraded to the ML55 AMG wheels which changed the profile slightly, but noticeably. I thought new shocks might make a difference, but it really didn't seem to. It made so little difference I haven't bothered following through with the rears.
Sounds interesting. . . I though the Bilsteins were harsher than stock. I wonder what the 18" AMG rims do the suspension geometry and shock dampening profile. I have added more air pressure to my EVO 17" wheels and that only results in a harsher ride with more pronounced roll.

Regards,
h3rmes