M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

'03 ML500 without xenons, I want to upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ML500 without xenons, I want to upgrade

I have searched, and not really found the answer I need- this is what I have discovered, but I would like to confirm-

1. post-2002 vehicles only need to swap in the xenon bulb
2. this may be illegal due to lack of auto-leveling, which is not attainable through retro-fit
3. These bulbs are called "H7" and can be bought in a variety of places? (I need a part number and vendor still)
4. The computer may require reprogramming at the dealer to recognize the xenons.

What did I miss? Any correction/ additional info would be appreciated.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
You can retrofit as some have. However, keep in mind that you know you will not have the autolevel and that is likely to be illegal is some if not all areas. In addition to the bulbs you will need ballasts and the harness if not installed already. As far as programming I do believe you will have to have this done.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:52 PM

As far as I know based on what I've read here in the forums, projector headlights that came with halogens have a different light pattern compared to bi-xenon projectors, light pattern maybe more scattered in a non xenon headlight. When I was in you position, I was going back and forth trying to decide if I should do the retrofit or just go with OE bi-xenons. A fellow member Erky has a good deal with OEM bi-xenons that's why I went with OE, it's more cost effective for me, install can be done in 30 mins and I dont have to mess around with the cars electrical. I had mine for about a month now and no has flashed their lights on me so far so I guess my lights are not blinding anyone. Programming and aiming was done at an MB dealership.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ///M3N
As far as I know based on what I've read here in the forums, projector headlights that came with halogens have a different light pattern compared to bi-xenon projectors, light pattern maybe more scattered in a non xenon headlight. When I was in you position, I was going back and forth trying to decide if I should do the retrofit or just go with OE bi-xenons. A fellow member Erky has a good deal with OEM bi-xenons that's why I went with OE, it's more cost effective for me, install can be done in 30 mins and I dont have to mess around with the cars electrical. I had mine for about a month now and no has flashed their lights on me so far so I guess my lights are not blinding anyone. Programming and aiming was done at an MB dealership.
So you took the $1000+ approach vs. the $200 bulb swap? Do the OEM units you mention have the leveling function?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeF
So you took the $1000+ approach vs. the $200 bulb swap? Do the OEM units you mention have the leveling function?
It's actually $700 and I'll be selling my old headlights so basically I'll end up paying less than $500 for an OEM bi-xenon set up. They have the auto levelling function if your car has the auto levelling unit.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
My experiences:

I too had a 2002 ML without factory xenons. Now, the only option whether you go with OEM Bi-Xenons or aftermarket xenons, regardless, you need to go through the diagnostic system and change the factory settings to Xenon Present, that way the car can recognize the ballasts etc.

However: Most dealerships WILL not perform this 2 second procedure, mainly because if anything goes wrong due to adding Xenon, they do not want to be held responsible. I went through 21 dealerships in the tri-state area before I gave up.

I bought a 8000k HID kit from my local speed shop, and had the installer trick the computer. Low-Beams and City Lights both use H7 bulbs, so he simply switched the low-beams into the city lights, and city lights into the low-beams which in turn got the 8000k HIDs. If we hooked up the HIDs to the low-beams the computer wouldnt recognize it however the city lights don't need to recognize it because there is no xenon option with highs. So, even when my lights are on auto or the next step above, my xenons will always be on until i cut complete power to everything going to my headlamp. Its complicated work for such a small modification.

In turn -- in order for these to work, find a dealership who will change the settings for you. It will save you time and money.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Vik,

Nice writeup....Im thinking of doing this mod....but have the dealer upgrade the ecu setting to Present.

Btw...what HID kit did you use? Does power draw for the ballasts from the battery or from the lowbeam/highbeam sockets?

Thank in advance.

Pete