M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

1999 ML430 and rear rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 01:11 PM
JAD
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML430 rear rotor removal

I'm trying to change the rear brakes and rotors today. I have done the fronts several months ago, no problem. I can't get the rear rotors off today. Something seems to be holding it on, like a spring or something. Can anyone advise me have to get the rotor off? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by JAD; 10-09-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
You have to dial in the parking brake shoes. There is a drum brake machined inside the hub of your rotor. In order to remove the rotor, you have to retract the shoes. I'm assuming you also know to remove the hex screw. Shine a flashlight into one of the bolt holes, and rotate the rotor until you see a star wheel. Rotate the wheel to retract the shoes. If I remember correctly, the adjuster is in the 4 or 5 o'clock postion on the left, and 7 or 8 o'clock on the right. After you get the new rotor on, and put in the hex screw, dial the shoes back out until they drag, then bring them in about half a turn. Those of us who have been doing our own brakes since the days of drum brakes know this procedure well, but it's a dying art. I do prefer this type of setup to having to screw pistons back into calipers on some of the older types of disc parking brake systems. Torn a few caliper piston boots doing that! Best of luck to ya!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:04 AM
JAD
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulX608
You have to dial in the parking brake shoes. There is a drum brake machined inside the hub of your rotor. In order to remove the rotor, you have to retract the shoes. I'm assuming you also know to remove the hex screw. Shine a flashlight into one of the bolt holes, and rotate the rotor until you see a star wheel. Rotate the wheel to retract the shoes. If I remember correctly, the adjuster is in the 4 or 5 o'clock postion on the left, and 7 or 8 o'clock on the right. After you get the new rotor on, and put in the hex screw, dial the shoes back out until they drag, then bring them in about half a turn. Those of us who have been doing our own brakes since the days of drum brakes know this procedure well, but it's a dying art. I do prefer this type of setup to having to screw pistons back into calipers on some of the older types of disc parking brake systems. Torn a few caliper piston boots doing that! Best of luck to ya!
Thanks Paul. I looked in the holes and thought I saw the adjustment wheel but after seeing pics of an '02 ML500's adjustment screw on the other MB web site I'm not so sure I saw the right thing yesterday. I did look through all the lug holes trying to see something and did not see anything that looked like what I saw in the pic.... So now, I'm really confused...